Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dipsomaniac
    • By dipsomaniac 4th Dec 17, 8:25 PM
    • 5,595Posts
    • 2,128Thanks
    dipsomaniac
    win10 free upgrade ends this month - maybe
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:25 PM
    win10 free upgrade ends this month - maybe 4th Dec 17 at 8:25 PM
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
Page 1
    • alec33
    • By alec33 5th Dec 17, 9:18 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    alec33
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:18 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:18 AM
    hmm..I thought this win 10 free upgrade ended last year..remember being notified a month or so before the win 10 release that i can apply for a free win 10 upgrade and that it was only available before the actual win 10 release..still, if one can still get a free win 10 upgrade, i'll recommend my tutor who helps me with programming homework to check it out. still am curious whether it's a ruse to get more people upgrade their os???
    Last edited by alec33; 05-12-2017 at 9:21 AM.
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 5th Dec 17, 9:24 AM
    • 2,580 Posts
    • 1,440 Thanks
    RumRat
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:24 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:24 AM
    hmm..I thought this win 10 free upgrade ended last year..remember being notified a month or so before the win 10 release that i can apply for a free win 10 upgrade and that it was only available before the actual win 10 release..still, if one can still get a free win 10 upgrade, i'll recommend my tutor who helps me with programming homework to check it out. still am curious whether it's a ruse to get more people upgrade their os???
    Originally posted by alec33
    It did end for general use. If you feel that you can claim to use assistive technology for your disability, then it's been a well known route to continue upgrading.
    A ruse to get more people to upgrade?......Don't be silly boy...
    Last edited by RumRat; 05-12-2017 at 9:26 AM.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 5th Dec 17, 10:02 AM
    • 26,214 Posts
    • 10,469 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:02 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:02 AM
    I had no issues installing windows 10 on a new home built system and using an old windows 7 key to activate it.

The key was off a computer that broke before win 10 was released.

You can use windows 10 without activating it also, just restricts some personalisation settings. Some of which you can change using other methods anyway.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • SeanDigiSave
    • By SeanDigiSave 5th Dec 17, 11:32 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    SeanDigiSave
    • 5th Dec 17, 11:32 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 11:32 AM
    So this free upgrade is only for people with disabilities, is that correct? Sorry if that sounds like a stupid question.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 5th Dec 17, 1:22 PM
    • 1,746 Posts
    • 1,198 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:22 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:22 PM
    So all Windows 10 free upgrades were supposed to end last year. It then turned out you could (ab)use the accessibility route. And then they released the Creators Update and if you installed using a CU ISO you could use a Windows 7 or Windows 8 product key again for a free upgrade.

Fully expect that either the CU route will stay open or there'll be another "undocumented" way as MS want everyone on Windows 10.
    • spud17
    • By spud17 5th Dec 17, 5:42 PM
    • 4,239 Posts
    • 1,947 Thanks
    spud17
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:42 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:42 PM
    So this free upgrade is only for people with disabilities, is that correct? Sorry if that sounds like a stupid question.
    Originally posted by SeanDigiSave
    It's not just for people with disabilities, it's for those who use 'Assistive Technologies', to me that could mean the on-screen keyboard or the magnifying tool.
    I'm sure many may have used those two in the past, you don't have to be a regular user.

Clear conscience here.
    Move along, nothing to see.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 5th Dec 17, 5:48 PM
    • 1,998 Posts
    • 841 Thanks
    Stoke
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:48 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:48 PM
    Is Windows 10 any good yet?
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 5th Dec 17, 10:24 PM
    • 26,214 Posts
    • 10,469 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:24 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:24 PM
    Its good and its also very very bad.

Plenty of software manipulation behind the scenes. The OS puts a big priority on opening edge before any other browser.

So clicking say Edge, Chrome, Firefox and Opera all at the same time Edge loads a lot faster. More down to trickery than it being a faster browser because once open its slow at opening pages.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • phillw
    • By phillw 5th Dec 17, 11:47 PM
    • 1,041 Posts
    • 621 Thanks
    phillw
    So clicking say Edge, Chrome, Firefox and Opera all at the same time Edge loads a lot faster. More down to trickery than it being a faster browser because once open its slow at opening pages.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    Chrome opens just as quickly for me. If it behaves differently for you then it's more to do with Microsoft just writing it differently, than some bizarre conspiracy. According to this site

https://www.gottabemobile.com/best-windows-10-browser-edge-vs-chrome/

Chrome is faster for some things, Edge faster for others. I ran Edge for ages. I now run Chrome. It's not a big deal.

Is Windows 10 any good yet?
    Originally posted by Stoke
    It always has been, I ran it since day 1.

It's for anyone who needs assistive technologies, so text to speech screen readers etc.
    Last edited by phillw; 05-12-2017 at 11:51 PM.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 7th Dec 17, 2:44 PM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 617 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    A friend has just downloaded Win 10 from Microsoft and used it to upgrade his Win 7 installation to Win 10... Win 10 home version, no fiddling needed, much to his surprise it just worked.
    • Oblivion
    • By Oblivion 7th Dec 17, 3:35 PM
    • 19,203 Posts
    • 58,338 Thanks
    Oblivion
    Not quite. It is for people that want an operating system that has serious disabilities.
    ... Dave
    Happily retired and enjoying my 11th year of leisure

I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Bring me sunshine in your smile
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,558Posts Today

8,409Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: REPORT PUBLISHED: We reveal how #regulators of essential services can level the playing field & better support consumers with #m?

• RT @mmhpi: "I have massive #anxiety about talking to strangers on the phone" - Regulators must improve the accessibility of essential serv?

• RT @itvMLshow: I know you may be sad that we have no more shows this year BUT you wont have to wait too long for our next LIVE SPECIAL whic?

• Follow Martin