Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misterthrifty
    • By misterthrifty 4th Dec 17, 8:13 PM
    • 358Posts
    • 81Thanks
    misterthrifty
    eBay return request, heavy parcel from France
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:13 PM
    eBay return request, heavy parcel from France 4th Dec 17 at 8:13 PM
    Hi
    Some advice please.
    I listed some printed papers in 2 lots, they were bought by a buyer in France and I posted them together at the end of October. I had an email last week saying that the pages were not complete, I politely pointed out that the description clearly stated they were very mixed up & had no page numbers so I hadn't checked if they were complete or not, I stated how many pages there were. The buyer has now opened a return request.
    Am I best to contact ebay and ask them to close the cases as he appears to have not read the description or should I contact the buyer & try and negotiate first?
    TIA
Page 1
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 4th Dec 17, 8:58 PM
    • 246 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    Brynsam
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:58 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:58 PM
    Are you a private or a business seller?
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 4th Dec 17, 9:02 PM
    • 11,414 Posts
    • 7,683 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:02 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:02 PM
    Ebay won't close a case. The case must be closed by the buyer or escalated (after day 8) by one or other or you.

Was your listing in English, was it clear the pages were as you say?
    Last edited by theonlywayisup; 04-12-2017 at 9:09 PM.
    • misterthrifty
    • By misterthrifty 4th Dec 17, 10:28 PM
    • 358 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    misterthrifty
    • 4th Dec 17, 10:28 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 10:28 PM
    Thanks for the replies.
    I'm a private seller. I think it was clear in the description & the buyer has only written in French so I suspect they don't speak English.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 5th Dec 17, 8:09 AM
    • 11,414 Posts
    • 7,683 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:09 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:09 AM
    You have two options. Either accept the return and pay the returns postage (as the buyer has opened a request that will generate this) or you fight the case.

You have to be very clear if you are going to fight the case and you need to be supplying all your evidence before day 8. Then on day 8 you can escalate and keep your fingers crossed.

If you don't accept the return but fight and you lose, the item may not have to be returned and eBay will refund your buyer from your funds.
    • TKPeters
    • By TKPeters 5th Dec 17, 9:11 AM
    • 1,824 Posts
    • 1,016 Thanks
    TKPeters
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:11 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:11 AM
    We had this last month & eBay advised me that I would lose the INAD case & if I did not provide a shipping label to the customer for the return, they would refund the buyer in full from my funds & allow them to keep the item.

• knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 5th Dec 17, 10:20 AM
    • 4,485 Posts
    • 1,650 Thanks
    knightstyle
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:20 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:20 AM
    Where about in France? just give post code as I have contacts over there who could go and explain the listing details in French.
    If not ask on ex-pat sites for help. someone may go round and bring them back to UK for you.
    At the end of the day it might be down to damage limitation and you will just have to pay for them to be returned, not fair but no-one ever said Ebay was fair.
    • F&L
    • By F&L 5th Dec 17, 10:39 AM
    • 507 Posts
    • 555 Thanks
    F&L
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:39 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:39 AM
    Does the returns request state the item is not as described as only this will make the seller have to provide a label? If so then I would phone ebay and make clear to them the item was as described. I recently had a similar situation and when I phoned ebay they passed the details onto ebay in the buyer's home country, who then partially refunded the buyer from their own funds.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 5th Dec 17, 12:57 PM
    • 7,298 Posts
    • 4,079 Thanks
    martindow
    • 5th Dec 17, 12:57 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 12:57 PM
    There is no mention of value here - it may be best to not bother to get them back and just refund. It does seem from your OP that pages could be missing which could well mean that it is worth much less than has been paid by your French buyer.
    • the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    • By the_lunatic_is_in_my_head 6th Dec 17, 12:16 PM
    • 2,120 Posts
    • 1,266 Thanks
    the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    Check the last delivery ETA on the order, if it's been more than 30 days eBay buyer protection doesn't apply and if the buyer asks eBay to step in the return will just close without eBay doing anything.

eBay's ETAs to Europe can be fairly short, depending on when the buyer paid you may be lucky enough to be outside the 30 days.
    • misterthrifty
    • By misterthrifty 11th Dec 17, 2:37 PM
    • 358 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    misterthrifty
    Well I have been trying to communicate with the buyer to reach a solution but no reply whatsoever, which also suggests that they may not speak English. I have contacted ebay who refered it to their French office but nothing back from them.
    I can't arrange a return as the buyer needs to let me have the weight and size of the package and they won't reply to my messages! (the buyer is in Pays de la Loire 72220).
    How do I submit my evidence if I decide to do so? The return says that the items are missing pages but of course I made that clear in the description, I also priced it cheap to allow for that.
    TIA
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 11th Dec 17, 2:55 PM
    • 11,414 Posts
    • 7,683 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    If the case is still open you should be able to upload any evidence to it via the resolution centre.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

973Posts Today

6,280Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @SF_England: @MartinSLewis Thanks Martin, just so everyone is aware- check your payslips between when you graduated and the following Ap?

• Sorry to bubble burst. But each day a lot of people tweet me this. I think it doesn't show any other votes until t? https://t.co/uRny62NRc1

• Today's Twitter poll: I want to find out are people generally happy. So how happy are you today? PS I did the same? https://t.co/3Gw9ylu2H2

• Follow Martin