Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nina1986
    • By Nina1986 4th Dec 17, 8:02 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Nina1986
    My mum just passed away and Philips and Cohen are chasing debts
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:02 PM
    My mum just passed away and Philips and Cohen are chasing debts 4th Dec 17 at 8:02 PM
    This is my first blog post and I just wanted to see if other people on here have faced somewhat similar situation. My mum passed away at the end of October. She had a card with Vanquish credit company and owed about £1200. I informed them that my mum's estate was insolvent in a letter with my mum's death certificate and stated that there were barely enough in her bank account to pay for her own funeral. She has no house or any assets except what was in her one current account which paid for about one third of the funeral bill. Vanquish response was a condolences and to inform me that they will get Philips and Cohen involved. Has anyone dealt with these people? They sent a letter last week to say that they are doing their own investigations into mum's estate despite me saying there was no will or executor. Me and my sisters aren't applying for probate (our brother in law's probate lawyer suggested under no circumstances to apply for probate as my sisters and I will be legally obliged to state what's in mum's estate (nothing) each year. We have been called via our home telephone (not sure how they got hold of our numbers presumably through Vanquish) Philips & Cohen today demanding who is the executor of mum's estate which is no one. If anyone has dealt with them, please would you offer some advice? Mum's Vanquish card doesn't have a joint account holder and I believe we shouldn't be legally obliged to pay her debt. We haven't even grieved yet and they are demanding payment.
Page 1
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 4th Dec 17, 8:08 PM
    • 1,349 Posts
    • 1,357 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:08 PM
    I'm sorry to hear of your loss. I'd personally tell them to hop it. Its very recent and the fact your late mum owed a small amount is hardly your top priority right now. These people really are the lowest.
    Legally I don't know. Maybe citizens advice can help? Do you have a solicitor who can write to them and confirm your mum didn't have any funds?
    Sorry I couldn't help but be assured these people will try it on. Tell them to stop harassing you, its not your debt.
    • pearl123
    • By pearl123 4th Dec 17, 8:08 PM
    • 1,257 Posts
    • 1,867 Thanks
    pearl123
    Get an appointment at the Citizens Advice Bureau as soon as possible.
    • SevenOfNine
    • By SevenOfNine 4th Dec 17, 8:19 PM
    • 1,177 Posts
    • 1,125 Thanks
    SevenOfNine
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:19 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:19 PM
    Others will be along with advice gained from experience, in the meantime this organisation may be able to assist you with info on best way forward, & how to stop this company harrassing you further at this distressing time. It is a freephone number & advice should not be paid for.

https://bereavementadvice.org/topics/probate-and-legal/insolvent-estates

My condolences
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 4th Dec 17, 9:07 PM
    • 4,058 Posts
    • 4,423 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:07 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:07 PM
    Write to them, tell them that your mother’s estate was insolvent, and that no one is administering the estate. Tell them that you will not respond to any further correspondence and if they continue to pursue you, you will treat is as harassment and will take action unde the Protection from Harassment Act 1997. Get proof of posting at the P.O.

Block their numbers to avoid any further calls.
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 4th Dec 17, 9:08 PM
    • 3,362 Posts
    • 2,714 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:08 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:08 PM
    This is my first blog post and I just wanted to see if other people on here have faced somewhat similar situation. My mum passed away at the end of October. She had a card with Vanquish credit company and owed about £1200. I informed them that my mum's estate was insolvent in a letter with my mum's death certificate and stated that there were barely enough in her bank account to pay for her own funeral. She has no house or any assets except what was in her one current account which paid for about one third of the funeral bill. Vanquish response was a condolences and to inform me that they will get Philips and Cohen involved. Has anyone dealt with these people? They sent a letter last week to say that they are doing their own investigations into mum's estate despite me saying there was no will or executor. Me and my sisters aren't applying for probate (our brother in law's probate lawyer suggested under no circumstances to apply for probate as my sisters and I will be legally obliged to state what's in mum's estate (nothing) each year. We have been called via our home telephone (not sure how they got hold of our numbers presumably through Vanquish) Philips & Cohen today demanding who is the executor of mum's estate which is no one. If anyone has dealt with them, please would you offer some advice? Mum's Vanquish card doesn't have a joint account holder and I believe we shouldn't be legally obliged to pay her debt. We haven't even grieved yet and they are demanding payment.
    Originally posted by Nina1986
    Legally nobody owes them anything. Do not allow them to bully you. Just tell them that there is no money and that if they persist you will report them for harrassment.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 4th Dec 17, 11:06 PM
    • 30,712 Posts
    • 18,359 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 4th Dec 17, 11:06 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 11:06 PM
    I have had dealings with this outfit and they were OK(I may have got lucky) even told me I don't have to pay as it was the estate debt (I was going to pay anyway it was the BG bill)

They seem to pick up a lot of deceased debts and push probate services.

If they phone tell them to write to the administrator at the deceased address as it's not you and you have no idea who it is.

if they ask for the address tell them it's the one on their file.
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 5th Dec 17, 8:35 AM
    • 286 Posts
    • 238 Thanks
    Margot123
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:35 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:35 AM
    Write to them, tell them that your motherís estate was insolvent, and that no one is administering the estate. Tell them that you will not respond to any further correspondence and if they continue to pursue you, you will treat is as harassment and will take action unde the Protection from Harassment Act 1997. Get proof of posting at the P.O.

Block their numbers to avoid any further calls.
    Originally posted by Keep pedalling
    Very sound advice from Keep pedalling.

If they do happen to call you on one of their alternative numbers, simply state that you will not converse with them and you consider the call to be harassment.
    • TonyMMM
    • By TonyMMM 5th Dec 17, 8:56 AM
    • 2,514 Posts
    • 2,697 Thanks
    TonyMMM
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:56 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:56 AM
    As advised - just tell them you are not dealing with the estate.

They are just trying to work out whether it is worth them applying to be administrators (which they could do), but they would only do that if there was any money to recover.

You are not liable for the debt.
    • macman
    • By macman 5th Dec 17, 9:19 AM
    • 41,406 Posts
    • 17,034 Thanks
    macman
    Sorry for your loss. You mention that there is no cash left after funeral costs, but are there no other assets in the estate, e.g. property, personal possessions? The estate doesn't just consist of cash assets.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Jenniefour
    • By Jenniefour 5th Dec 17, 9:33 AM
    • 1,234 Posts
    • 1,268 Thanks
    Jenniefour
    macman, OP said no house or other assets. Insolvent estates come up often on this board for the very reason OP stated - creditors trying to get back money.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 5th Dec 17, 3:19 PM
    • 6,076 Posts
    • 7,817 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    I'm very sorry for your loss. As TonyMMM says, they are trying to work out if it is worth their applying to administer the estate.

Do as KeepPeddling says. Tell them that the state is insolvent, that you are not the executor or administrator and are not in a position to provide any further information, and that they are not to contact you further.

If they continue, tell them you will consider further contact to be harassment. Make a note of the name of the person you speak to and ask them to ensure that they note on their records that you are not to be contacted.

If necessary, follow through. Log it with the police, get a crime reference number.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

232Posts Today

1,457Users online

Martin's Twitter