Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Janets Daughter
    • By Janets Daughter 4th Dec 17, 7:42 PM
    • 64Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Janets Daughter
    Can I get Landlord to Pay Fees?
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:42 PM
    Can I get Landlord to Pay Fees? 4th Dec 17 at 7:42 PM
    Good Evening All,

I would really appreciate some advice.

I am looking at moving out of my current rental, I have found somewhere else that suits, paid the fees (£360!) and informed my landlord straight away. This all happened last Wednesday 29.11.17.

I have been a good tenant, I have looked after the property, spent money on it, am always early with my rent and am accommodating with repairs, of which there have been many.

To make a long story short, the landlord does not want to let me go. He has spent every day since last Wednesday texting me to reconsider and saying that I have misunderstood the situation(?).

He will not respond to requests for a reference and passing the credit check is contingent upon this. I will lose the £360 I have paid because of this. Can I sue my landlord for £360 that I will lose?

I think I know the answer to this, but it's worth a try!

Many thanks
Page 2
    • G_M
    • By G_M 4th Dec 17, 9:03 PM
    • 42,221 Posts
    • 49,016 Thanks
    G_M
    Yes, it's registered with "My Deposits" but it was registered late.
    Originally posted by Janets Daughter
    How much is the deposit? The penalty could easily cover the £360 you lose in fees.
    • ViolaLass
    • By ViolaLass 4th Dec 17, 9:08 PM
    • 5,129 Posts
    • 7,132 Thanks
    ViolaLass
    Does he 'retrieve' your post because he's picking up post for himself at the same time? Does he have consent to let?
    • Janets Daughter
    • By Janets Daughter 4th Dec 17, 9:12 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Janets Daughter
    Does he 'retrieve' your post because he's picking up post for himself at the same time? Does he have consent to let?
    Originally posted by ViolaLass
    No, he lives over two hours away and does not receive post to the property. He just uses it as an excuse to pitch up at my door.

I think that he just thinks he's being friendly and this is normal, but I do find it unsettling. That's why I eager to move on.
    • Janets Daughter
    • By Janets Daughter 4th Dec 17, 9:14 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Janets Daughter
    How much is the deposit? The penalty could easily cover the £360 you lose in fees.
    Originally posted by G_M

£685 and I was thinking that too. Not sure how to go about it. I think I may have a problem retrieving my deposit too since he seems to want to make this as painful as possible.
    I will do some research.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

232Posts Today

1,457Users online

Martin's Twitter