Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Janets Daughter
    • By Janets Daughter 4th Dec 17, 7:42 PM
    • 64Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Janets Daughter
    Can I get Landlord to Pay Fees?
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:42 PM
    Can I get Landlord to Pay Fees? 4th Dec 17 at 7:42 PM
    Good Evening All,

I would really appreciate some advice.

I am looking at moving out of my current rental, I have found somewhere else that suits, paid the fees (£360!) and informed my landlord straight away. This all happened last Wednesday 29.11.17.

I have been a good tenant, I have looked after the property, spent money on it, am always early with my rent and am accommodating with repairs, of which there have been many.

To make a long story short, the landlord does not want to let me go. He has spent every day since last Wednesday texting me to reconsider and saying that I have misunderstood the situation(?).

He will not respond to requests for a reference and passing the credit check is contingent upon this. I will lose the £360 I have paid because of this. Can I sue my landlord for £360 that I will lose?

I think I know the answer to this, but it's worth a try!

Many thanks
Page 1
    • Stubod
    • By Stubod 4th Dec 17, 7:47 PM
    • 432 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    Stubod
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:47 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:47 PM
    ..I think you probably know the answer.

I am not sure that anybody is obliged to give a reference if they don't want to.
    • ViolaLass
    • By ViolaLass 4th Dec 17, 7:49 PM
    • 5,148 Posts
    • 7,145 Thanks
    ViolaLass
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:49 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:49 PM
    Have you told the new place this? Do you have a previous LL you can offer as a reference?
    • anselld
    • By anselld 4th Dec 17, 7:51 PM
    • 5,427 Posts
    • 4,993 Thanks
    anselld
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:51 PM
    What is "the situation"?
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 4th Dec 17, 7:51 PM
    • 9,111 Posts
    • 12,080 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    A landlord does not have to give a tenant a reference.

Any more than a tenant does not have to give a landlord a reference - (there's a thought..).

Ask current landlord, if he's so keen to keep you, will he give you a new 12/24/36 month tenancy at a reduced rent.
    • Janets Daughter
    • By Janets Daughter 4th Dec 17, 7:55 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Janets Daughter
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:55 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:55 PM
    Have you told the new place this? Do you have a previous LL you can offer as a reference?
    Originally posted by ViolaLass
    I have explained the situation to them and they have been very understanding, but they say they must have my most recent landlord.

I have lived here for six months and I offered them my previous landlord where I lived for five years. I offered to prove to them that I pay my rent early every month. However, they outsource the credit check and say most recent landlord or nothing.
    • Janets Daughter
    • By Janets Daughter 4th Dec 17, 7:56 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Janets Daughter
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:56 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:56 PM
    What is "the situation"?
    Originally posted by anselld
    There is no situation. He just can't understand why I don't want to live here forever!
    • Janets Daughter
    • By Janets Daughter 4th Dec 17, 7:58 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Janets Daughter
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:58 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:58 PM
    A landlord does not have to give a tenant a reference.

Any more than a tenant does not have to give a landlord a reference - (there's a thought..).

Ask current landlord, if he's so keen to keep you, will he give you a new 12/24/36 month tenancy at a reduced rent.
    Originally posted by theartfullodger
    He's actually a terrible landlord, but I take your point. He is now ignoring me entirely.

Sulking I think.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 4th Dec 17, 8:00 PM
    • 3,276 Posts
    • 4,563 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:00 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:00 PM
    When did you serve notice on your present landlord?
    • G_M
    • By G_M 4th Dec 17, 8:01 PM
    • 42,278 Posts
    • 49,117 Thanks
    G_M
    New LL may just be very dogmtic and think he has to 'follow the rules' and get the creit check company's OK.

Or he may have a rent guarantee insurance that requires all tenants to pass that particular credit referencing agent's checks.
    • Janets Daughter
    • By Janets Daughter 4th Dec 17, 8:04 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Janets Daughter
    When did you serve notice on your present landlord?
    Originally posted by Cakeguts
    I actually haven't yet, I was just giving him the heads up. I will be giving him correct notice and have assured him all bills will be paid up before I leave.
    • Janets Daughter
    • By Janets Daughter 4th Dec 17, 8:06 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Janets Daughter
    New LL may just be very dogmtic and think he has to 'follow the rules' and get the creit check company's OK.

Or he may have a rent guarantee insurance that requires all tenants to pass that particular credit referencing agent's checks.
    Originally posted by G_M
    I understand. It's just really annoying, new places location is spot on and really well kept.

It looks like I'm going to miss out.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 4th Dec 17, 8:17 PM
    • 42,278 Posts
    • 49,117 Thanks
    G_M
    I have explained the situation to them and they have been very understanding, but they say they must have my most recent landlord.

Originally posted by Janets Daughter
    Ah!

'they'?

So this is a letting agent your are dealing with, not a landlord?

Try to get to the LL.

(£3 here will give you the name [and address?] of the owner of the property)
    • Janets Daughter
    • By Janets Daughter 4th Dec 17, 8:27 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Janets Daughter
    Ah!

'they'?

So this is a letting agent your are dealing with, not a landlord?

Try to get to the LL.

(£3 here will give you the name [and address?] of the owner of the property)
    Originally posted by G_M
    It is an estate agent, but they say that they have been speaking to the new landlord and they pass on his comments.

I will try to contact him directly. I'm pretty sure he knows though. Old landlord is really sabotaging me, but I'll hand in my notice regardless.
    Thank you
    • mrginge
    • By mrginge 4th Dec 17, 8:30 PM
    • 4,302 Posts
    • 7,717 Thanks
    mrginge
    Perhaps the current landlord needs to understand that since his reluctance to give you a reference means you are out of pocket, his rent may be a little late and a little light next month.
    • Janets Daughter
    • By Janets Daughter 4th Dec 17, 8:41 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Janets Daughter
    Perhaps the current landlord needs to understand that since his reluctance to give you a reference means you are out of pocket, his rent may be a little late and a little light next month.
    Originally posted by mrginge
    One of my friends suggested this! Unfortunately, he's the type that retrieves my post from the postbox and turns up at my front door unannounced to say hi. He lives two and a half hours away.

I'm expecting another visit soon.
    • cjmillsnun
    • By cjmillsnun 4th Dec 17, 8:43 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    cjmillsnun
    One of my friends suggested this! Unfortunately, he's the type that retrieves my post from the postbox and turns up at my front door unannounced to say hi. He lives two and a half hours away.

I'm expecting another visit soon.
    Originally posted by Janets Daughter
    That isn't "quiet enjoyment of the property", and retrieving your post is illegal.
    • Janets Daughter
    • By Janets Daughter 4th Dec 17, 8:45 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Janets Daughter
    That isn't "quiet enjoyment of the property", and retrieving your post is illegal.
    Originally posted by cjmillsnun
    Part of the reason I am moving on after only six months...
    • Tyler Durden UK
    • By Tyler Durden UK 4th Dec 17, 8:54 PM
    • 687 Posts
    • 467 Thanks
    Tyler Durden UK
    I assume that the deposit is registered in one of the approved schemes ? If not it could be problematic for the LL.
    • Janets Daughter
    • By Janets Daughter 4th Dec 17, 8:57 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Janets Daughter
    I assume that the deposit is registered in one of the approved schemes ? If not it could be problematic for the LL.
    Originally posted by Tyler Durden UK
    Yes, it's registered with "My Deposits" but it was registered late.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,124Posts Today

7,687Users online

Martin's Twitter