Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Zither
    • By Zither 4th Dec 17, 7:41 PM
    • 291Posts
    • 38Thanks
    Zither
    Carpet vs rug
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:41 PM
    Carpet vs rug 4th Dec 17 at 7:41 PM
    Hi All,

Just looking to see if any of you have any experience with the following?

I need to buy a big rug (approx 2m x3m) for a tiled dining room floor. I don’t want to laminate/fully carpet the floor because money/preference.

So looking around it looks like I’d pay £120+ on Wayfair/eBay for a big decent-ish rug. However I popped into a couple of carpet shops on the weekend and it looks like I could pick up some ‘general carpet’ for approx £10 per SqM. Or probably some carpet offcut for even less - so much less than a rug.

So after a bit more of a read around why rugs are so expensive, it looks like I could get a carpet offcut ‘whipped’ to convert the carpet into a rug to stop the edges fraying.

Anyone done it? Expensive? Worth the hassle etc?

THanks

Z
Page 1
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 4th Dec 17, 7:45 PM
    • 10,106 Posts
    • 24,921 Thanks
    suki1964
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:45 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:45 PM
    Tbh , I wouldn't have carpet of any discription in a dining room.

So much easier to mop up spilled wine, dropped peas etc off a tiled floor

( but then I've had kids and grandkids )
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it

still singing, loud and clear
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 4th Dec 17, 7:56 PM
    • 24,085 Posts
    • 66,698 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:56 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:56 PM
    Whipping is pretty inexpensive.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • Zither
    • By Zither 4th Dec 17, 8:04 PM
    • 291 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    Zither
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:04 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:04 PM
    Tbh , I wouldn't have carpet of any discription in a dining room.

So much easier to mop up spilled wine, dropped peas etc off a tiled floor

( but then I've had kids and grandkids )
    Originally posted by suki1964

Agree - thats why I just fancy getting some inexpensive carpet that can take a bit of a hammering. At the mo the tiled floor is cold so it needs something putting down.
    • Zither
    • By Zither 4th Dec 17, 8:06 PM
    • 291 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    Zither
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:06 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:06 PM
    Whipping is pretty inexpensive.
    Originally posted by Doozergirl
    Thanks - have you had it done? Is there a typical average price? Do all the big places like Franks Factory Flooring/Carpetright etc do it?
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 4th Dec 17, 8:55 PM
    • 2,486 Posts
    • 1,657 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:55 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:55 PM
    A local carpet shop will do it, ours charges about £30 for a small rug, probably a bit more for what you want.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • JEN22
    • By JEN22 5th Dec 17, 3:49 AM
    • 353 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    JEN22
    • 5th Dec 17, 3:49 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 3:49 AM
    I can never understand people covering tiles with rugs
    • Zither
    • By Zither 5th Dec 17, 7:58 AM
    • 291 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    Zither
    • 5th Dec 17, 7:58 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 7:58 AM
    A local carpet shop will do it, ours charges about £30 for a small rug, probably a bit more for what you want.
    Originally posted by EssexExile
    Ah thanks - £30 was a little more than I was hoping for - assumed it would be a tenner for a small rug so guess a lot more for a larger rug?
    • Zither
    • By Zither 5th Dec 17, 7:59 AM
    • 291 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    Zither
    • 5th Dec 17, 7:59 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 7:59 AM
    Originally posted by JEN22
    Rightio thanks
    • AndyCF
    • By AndyCF 5th Dec 17, 8:10 AM
    • 190 Posts
    • 497 Thanks
    AndyCF
    Similar situation for me a few years ago, I ended up picking some carpet material I liked and having it "whipped" , the shop I got the carpet from was an "old skool" type place, sadly no longer there.

They arranged the "whip" to be done and delivered said "carpet rug" a few days later all ready. You may find it cheaper to have this done as I did 'all in one' at an independent type shop rather than a major retailer but as they say "your mileage might vary" , it is certainly worth asking at at least a couple of places however.

It does not, at least in my opinion, last quite as long as a decent thick rug although this is going to depend on the carpet material chosen but it is usually a lot cheaper than a proper ready made rug plus you do not have to try to find one the right size as you can simply specify when you're getting your carpet what size you want the "rug" to be.
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 5th Dec 17, 8:26 AM
    • 728 Posts
    • 768 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    Originally posted by JEN22
    1. Because they want the convenience of a carpet that is removable?

2. Because they like a rug in fornt of the sofa to put bare feet on?

3. Because they want to protect the tiles from moving furniture legs?

4. Because it breaks up an otherwise boring floor?

I'm sure there are other reasons.
    • AndyCF
    • By AndyCF 5th Dec 17, 8:42 AM
    • 190 Posts
    • 497 Thanks
    AndyCF
    I'm sure there are other reasons.
    Originally posted by bertiewhite
    Its also erm 'useful' to cover a fitted carpet if its a bit worn too with a bit less expense than having a 'new fitted carpet' Part of the reason why I had one in one room at least.
    • Jenniefour
    • By Jenniefour 5th Dec 17, 9:27 AM
    • 1,242 Posts
    • 1,279 Thanks
    Jenniefour
    I had two big pieces done in west Yorkshire a couple of years ago for £40. Still perfect. I got the carpet from one of those outlets that sells odd rolls, a lot cheaper than local retailer and good quality.
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 5th Dec 17, 9:51 AM
    • 23,997 Posts
    • 50,758 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    Many years ago I did the bookkeeping for a carpet shop.

There were regular cheque payments described on the stub as 'Debbie - whipping'.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 5th Dec 17, 9:57 AM
    • 13,259 Posts
    • 17,477 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    We have non-fitted carpet in our dining room.

I don't like bare floors.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 5th Dec 17, 10:00 AM
    • 13,259 Posts
    • 17,477 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Its also erm 'useful' to cover a fitted carpet if its a bit worn too with a bit less expense than having a 'new fitted carpet' Part of the reason why I had one in one room at least.
    Originally posted by AndyCF
    If you put a rug over a fitted carpet be prepared to be constantly moving it back to where you originally put it.

When walked on, rugs will creep in the direction of the pile of the carpet underneath.
    • AndyCF
    • By AndyCF 5th Dec 17, 1:28 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 497 Thanks
    AndyCF
    If you put a rug over a fitted carpet be prepared to be constantly moving it back to where you originally put it.

When walked on, rugs will creep in the direction of the pile of the carpet underneath.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    I understand that, although in my case the 'rug' covers about 90% of the 'carpet area' and its got a few heavy things on like the TV stand and coffee table, its never moved in a few years.

I was going to pull the fitted carpet up first actually but did not bother as the floorboards were a bit mismatched in colours / sizes so it would of looked a bit odd somehow otherwise I'd of removed it.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 5th Dec 17, 2:22 PM
    • 4,763 Posts
    • 20,777 Thanks
    Slinky
    I've seen surprisingly cheap large rugs in Ikea in the past which could work out cheaper than paying for carpet and having it whipped. We bought one that's now on the floor of our shed after OH tipped coffee on it.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 5th Dec 17, 2:43 PM
    • 13,259 Posts
    • 17,477 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    I understand that, although in my case the 'rug' covers about 90% of the 'carpet area' and its got a few heavy things on like the TV stand and coffee table, its never moved in a few years.
    Originally posted by AndyCF
    I put one down a 3 by 4 metre one in the sitting room and it used to drag the furniture with it. We had one in the bedroom that kept trying to climb on the bed.
    • AndyCF
    • By AndyCF 5th Dec 17, 2:50 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 497 Thanks
    AndyCF
    I put one down a 3 by 4 metre one in the sitting room and it used to drag the furniture with it. We had one in the bedroom that kept trying to climb on the bed.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    Perhaps I was lucky then. The only other thing that I can think of is maybe the 'friction' type grip of the old carpet combined with the underneath 'Hessian' type lining acts in such a way to prevent it moving about.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,215Posts Today

5,875Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• Follow Martin