Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mcc86
    • By mcc86 4th Dec 17, 7:35 PM
    • 42Posts
    • 5Thanks
    mcc86
    2 Years vs 5 Years & 'Standard Mortgage Rate'
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:35 PM
    2 Years vs 5 Years & 'Standard Mortgage Rate' 4th Dec 17 at 7:35 PM
    Hello,

I'm in the process of purchasing a property - first time buyer so apologies if this is a rather stupid question.

When selecting a mortgage, I decided to proceed with a fixed 2 year deal on the basis that I don't expect interest rates to rise within that period (for a variety of reasons, including Brexit) and that I should be in a position to overpay by approx. 10% for both years - therefore when at the end of the 2 years I can get a lower interest rate because the LTV will be far lower.

However.... my more conservative side has been telling me to go for the fixed 5 year for that added security, for which I would be paying an additional £50 p/m for.

I was relatively comfortable with my decision until the mortgage offer came through that states after 'Step 1' the rate that will apply is a variable rate, Standard Mortgage Rate currently at 3.99%.

I understand from my mortgage advisor that I don't have to go onto this rate after the 2 year fixed and I can get another fixed deal, however having looked at the variable rate market it seems to be closer to 1.25%. Any idea why my offer letter is so much higher than what the market is offering at the moment? Could I not simply go onto a variable rate for 2 years (at 1.25% if that was the offer at the time)... and then jump ship again and never go to the much higher 'standard mortgage rate'?

Also, any thoughts on whether 2 years or 5 years is the way to go (appreciate it is subjective) then that is much welcomed.
Page 1
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 4th Dec 17, 8:00 PM
    • 30,848 Posts
    • 18,451 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:00 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:00 PM
    don't confuse

tracker/discount/term based variable rates with "standard Variable Rates" or follow on rates.

your 5y rates will be higher but your LTV improves in 2 years.

say over 4 years even with a rate rise 2+2 could still be better than 4 years on a 5y.

crunch the numbers you can work out what rate rise in 2 years will make you worse off in 4 years.

it is not will rate go up but will rates go up by more than X%

you can work out X%.
    • dimbo61
    • By dimbo61 4th Dec 17, 8:12 PM
    • 9,595 Posts
    • 5,187 Thanks
    dimbo61
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:12 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:12 PM
    3.99% is one of the lower SVR rates out there.
    Many lenders have a higher rate than that 4.75/5%
    If you really can overpay by 10% each year then taking the 2 year deal might be a good option.
    Can you afford to knock 10% off your mortgage ?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

228Posts Today

1,280Users online

Martin's Twitter