Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DanielGrantham
    • By DanielGrantham 4th Dec 17, 6:13 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    DanielGrantham
    Car Tax Fine
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:13 PM
    Car Tax Fine 4th Dec 17 at 6:13 PM
    Hi wondering if anyone could see if i have an argument with this or not, i know it is properly a long shot but i am really annoyed. I moved house and changed all my details over to the new house including Driving Licence and Insurance... the month i moved was a really bad month in terms of stress and i actually forgot to tax my car, which i understand no one wants to hear a sob story. Anyway 4 months later my car gets clamped outside the new address and i was in total shock because the the enforcement agency officer said it has been out of tax for a while and the car already has a penalty on it, i thought what the hell? i am always up to date with things so i checked my bank and emails because i thought i taxed the car, anyway it turned out i didn't tax it and the reminders were going to my old address because the only thing i didn't change was the DVLA slip and i actually didn't know you had to change this slip(not reading the small print of things has gone me here) so i payed my £68 penalty and £100 clamp fine, also taxed my car for the year 30 minutes after being clamped... lesson learnt. This happened 9/10/17 now today i have received another letter saying my car was found not axed on the 9/10/17 at 11am even though i taxed the car at 11:30am and now thinking everything is sorted but this fine is for £162 which is daylight robbery for a genuine mistake. This is obviously one of the ways DVLA get pennies from. Is this an hard lesson learnt or can i appeal?
Page 1
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 4th Dec 17, 6:35 PM
    • 700 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:35 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:35 PM
    You've got no defence so the easiest thing to do is pay up.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 4th Dec 17, 6:39 PM
    • 4,942 Posts
    • 3,950 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:39 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:39 PM
    Hi wondering if anyone could see if i have an argument with this or not, i know it is properly a long shot but i am really annoyed. I moved house and changed all my details over to the new house including Driving Licence and Insurance... the month i moved was a really bad month in terms of stress and i actually forgot to tax my car, which i understand no one wants to hear a sob story. Anyway 4 months later my car gets clamped outside the new address and i was in total shock because the the enforcement agency officer said it has been out of tax for a while and the car already has a penalty on it, i thought what the hell? i am always up to date with things so i checked my bank and emails because i thought i taxed the car, anyway it turned out i didn't tax it and the reminders were going to my old address because the only thing i didn't change was the DVLA slip and i actually didn't know you had to change this slip(not reading the small print of things has gone me here) so i payed my £68 penalty and £100 clamp fine, also taxed my car for the year 30 minutes after being clamped... lesson learnt. This happened 9/10/17 now today i have received another letter saying my car was found not axed on the 9/10/17 at 11am even though i taxed the car at 11:30am and now thinking everything is sorted but this fine is for £162 which is daylight robbery for a genuine mistake. This is obviously one of the ways DVLA get pennies from. Is this an hard lesson learnt or can i appeal?
    Originally posted by DanielGrantham
    You've got no defence so the easiest thing to do is pay up.
    Originally posted by Warwick Hunt

seems like two fines (is that correct OP) for the same occasion surely there is some sort of defence?
    • DanielGrantham
    • By DanielGrantham 4th Dec 17, 6:42 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DanielGrantham
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:42 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:42 PM
    Yeah i know the chances are so slim but thought i may have an argument.
    • DanielGrantham
    • By DanielGrantham 4th Dec 17, 6:44 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DanielGrantham
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:44 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:44 PM
    And yeah i believe they are two fines now, so the first fine was a £68 fine, cameras picked my reg up. The second fine is from the enforcement agency worker who drove by my address where my car got flagged up and that is when he clamped the car.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 4th Dec 17, 6:49 PM
    • 700 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:49 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:49 PM
    seems like two fines (is that correct OP) for the same occasion surely there is some sort of defence?
    Originally posted by glentoran99
    Sounds like two offences.

And yeah i believe they are two fines now, so the first fine was a £68 fine, cameras picked my reg up. The second fine is from the enforcement agency worker who drove by my address where my car got flagged up and that is when he clamped the car.
    Originally posted by DanielGrantham
    Maybe you know a defence to being caught twice?
    • Nodding Donkey
    • By Nodding Donkey 5th Dec 17, 4:31 AM
    • 2,480 Posts
    • 2,104 Thanks
    Nodding Donkey
    • 5th Dec 17, 4:31 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 4:31 AM
    Sounds like one of them was the back tax, one was the clamp release fee and the other was a fine.
    Last edited by Nodding Donkey; 05-12-2017 at 4:34 AM.
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 5th Dec 17, 5:51 AM
    • 2,740 Posts
    • 1,976 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:51 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:51 AM
    Just think yourself lucky you didn't trigger any more ANPR cameras whilst driving around for 4 months in an untaxed vehicle. Each would have been a seperate offence and fine.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 5th Dec 17, 10:09 AM
    • 1,769 Posts
    • 1,211 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:09 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:09 AM
    DVLA did everything by the book, the only person to blame for what happened is yourself.
    One of the payments will be the fine, the £100 the clamp removal fee and the other payment the tax you owed.
    • DanielGrantham
    • By DanielGrantham 5th Dec 17, 6:02 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DanielGrantham
    Yeah these fines could of been much worse seeing as i have done a lot of miles in the time of having no tax, i am always up to date with things and my partner said i should just do the monthly payments because its continuous. I can only blame myself, it is just annoying because i have gone through some bad months, my car tax being the last thing on my mind and obviously no reminders. Going through bad times and things like this happening is like you don't get a break or a chance, there is always something...

Anyway, i appreciate everyones feedback.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,141Posts Today

7,052Users online

Martin's Twitter