Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 4th Dec 17, 5:57 PM
    • 2,134Posts
    • 1,247Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    Exit brexit?
    • 4th Dec 17, 5:57 PM
    Exit brexit? 4th Dec 17 at 5:57 PM
    Proving to be a bit more difficult than imagined, isnít it?

Weíre a special case. So is London, so is Scotland, so is Gibraltar.

Whatís the likelihood of it just not happening at all?
Page 2
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 6th Dec 17, 10:48 AM
    • 2,134 Posts
    • 1,247 Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    The DUP are strategic morons. They voted Brexit to counter nationalists wishing to remain.
    Originally posted by x12yhp
    They countered unionists wishing to remain. Remember there was a very low turnout in catholic areas.
    They donít represent the electorate on this.
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 6th Dec 17, 10:58 AM
    • 2,134 Posts
    • 1,247 Thanks
    qwert yuiop

But certainly not friction less trade between NI and Great Britain, which they enjoy now.
    Originally posted by phillw
    No free trade within the uk? How would that have worked?
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 6th Dec 17, 10:58 AM
    • 526 Posts
    • 468 Thanks
    NineDeuce
    Probably slightly more likely than when the PM said "Brexit means Brexit" but I wouldnt get any hopes up.

The argument is still based on 'the will of the people'. Subsequent facts, evidence and uncovering of truths are not enough for the Daily Mail and their followers...
    • tara747
    • By tara747 6th Dec 17, 11:36 AM
    • 10,089 Posts
    • 26,637 Thanks
    tara747
    I always knew it wouldn't go ahead, hardly great for democracy as this was a nationwide vote.
    Originally posted by Cotta
    The great thing about democracy is that the electorate is allowed to vote on a regular basis. Otherwise, we'd be stuck with one government in perpetuity. It is possible for the people to change their minds on Brexit if enough evidence emerges to show that it is a terrible idea.

So Arlene says "We will not accept any form of regulatory divergence which separates Northern Ireland economically or politically from the rest of the United Kingdom."

So same sex marriage and abortion are on the cards for DUP?
    Originally posted by BigAl94
    Get to 119lbs! 1/2/09: 135.6lbs 1/5/11: 145.8lbs 30/3/13 150lbs 22/2/14 137lbs 2/6/14 128lbs 29/8/14 124lbs 2/6/17 126lbs
    Save £120,000 by 31 Dec 2017! Dec 2011: £54,342 * Dec 2012: £62,200 * Dec 2013: £74,127 * Dec 2014: £84,839 * Dec 2015: £95,207 * Dec 2016: £109,122
    eBay sales - £4,559.89 Cashback - £2,109.36
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 6th Dec 17, 1:36 PM
    • 2,134 Posts
    • 1,247 Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    The great thing about democracy is that the electorate is allowed to vote on a regular basis. Otherwise, we'd be stuck with one government in perpetuity.

Originally posted by tara747
    Yes, but brexit is for life, and not just for Christmas, or even for one parliamentary term.
    • RikM
    • By RikM 6th Dec 17, 4:26 PM
    • 578 Posts
    • 306 Thanks
    RikM
    There only has to be a tariff on garlic (or whatever) in the uk if thatís what they choose to do. Supposedly weíre going to become a free trading nation.

Anyone hear that welsh mp on the radio this morning talking about the border? Heís responsible for introducing border controls post brexit. Heís never been here, and he hasnít a clue.

Dismaying stuff.
    Originally posted by qwert yuiop
    I think it's the other way round... Unless we negotiate deals, we're stuck with whatever the wto dictates. Most countries are a part of it. So there's a basic set of rules, which you can negotiate down on an individual basis ("free trade"!), given time and inclination. The UK can't go pirate, we still have to follow rules...

All getting out of the EU means, is having to negotiate for ourselves with only what we bring to the table. As opposed to having the EU apply it's muscle on our behalf, in it's members interest... (we'll end up the target of that in negotiations with the EU, rather than being the beneficiary of it in dealing with the rest of the world).

Plus, we don't have any experienced trade negotiators any more, having not had to do it in years.
    • guiriman
    • By guiriman 7th Dec 17, 10:06 AM
    • 358 Posts
    • 208 Thanks
    guiriman
    I think it's the other way round... Unless we negotiate deals, we're stuck with whatever the wto dictates. Most countries are a part of it. So there's a basic set of rules, which you can negotiate down on an individual basis ("free trade"!), given time and inclination. The UK can't go pirate, we still have to follow rules...
    Originally posted by RikM
    I'm sure the Lebanese will be happy to sell us garlic with no import duty applied, local garlic farmers may not be so impressed.
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 7th Dec 17, 10:35 AM
    • 2,134 Posts
    • 1,247 Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    I’d be more concerned about beef from Brazil and Argentina, potentially wiping out a whole industry.

I’m not aware of any commercial garlic production here. Could be a good one post brexit. People seem to be able to smuggle other middle eastern farm products which smell strongly.
    Last edited by qwert yuiop; 07-12-2017 at 10:38 AM.
    • x12yhp
    • By x12yhp 7th Dec 17, 1:41 PM
    • 756 Posts
    • 416 Thanks
    x12yhp

All getting out of the EU means, is having to negotiate for ourselves with only what we bring to the table. As opposed to having the EU apply it's muscle on our behalf, in it's members interest... (we'll end up the target of that in negotiations with the EU, rather than being the beneficiary of it in dealing with the rest of the world).
    If it wasn't so sad it would be amusing...

Lots of people are saying that the way the EU is dealing with us is proof that we should leave. Whereas I would counter that their belief that that EU should cease looking out for what is best for the EU, so as to give us an easy ride, is proof that they didn't understand what they were voting for in the referendum.

On a daily basis I encounter people who feel empowered by bits and pieces of information, typically something from the popular press or some misc source on the internet. The truth is that we have a population of people who feel empowered but their lack of understanding, of the information they actually have, means that they are appreciably more dangerous than people who have no information at all.
    Always overestimating...
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 7th Dec 17, 2:07 PM
    • 15,788 Posts
    • 9,078 Thanks
    motorguy

Lots of people are saying that the way the EU is dealing with us is proof that we should leave. Whereas I would counter that their belief that that EU should cease looking out for what is best for the EU, so as to give us an easy ride, is proof that they didn't understand what they were voting for in the referendum.
    Originally posted by x12yhp
    They want to "punish" us for daring to leave, to put other countries off doing the same thing.

I look at it like leaving a bad relationship / marriage. Its the right thing to do but the other party are trying to make things as difficult / painful as possible.

Ultimately though we'll be potentially one of their biggest customers post Brexit and they're forgetting that at the moment. "Cutting off their nose to spite their face" as it were.

The EU were very happy to take vast sums of our money, all the while treating us with mild contempt at best.
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 7th Dec 17, 3:52 PM
    • 2,134 Posts
    • 1,247 Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    It’s turning into a debacle. The right thing to do is cancel it.
    • RikM
    • By RikM 7th Dec 17, 5:06 PM
    • 578 Posts
    • 306 Thanks
    RikM
    Itís turning into a debacle. The right thing to do is cancel it.
    I'd like that... But realistically; not going to happen. It would require the government to commit political harakiri. I don't think they have the guts (pun fully intended).
    • Private Church
    • By Private Church 7th Dec 17, 5:36 PM
    • 497 Posts
    • 1,530 Thanks
    Private Church
    I’d be more concerned about beef from Brazil and Argentina, potentially wiping out a whole industry.

The question you should be asking is why the UK beef producers haven't stepped up to the plate and increased production. Currently the UK imports around 199,000 tonnes of beef but only export around 70,000 tonnes. So given this fact do you think the EU will win the battle with tariffs? .Our current trade deficit with the EU is around £60 billion (£60 thousand million a year)......

.In the case of Argentina we import very little beef and its folly to imply the UK will be "flooded with Argentine /Brazilian beef". If we want to talk about poor animal welfare standards then look no further than the EU where French farmers force feed Geese and ducks to produce Foie Gras ,sub standard veal crates are still in abundance within the EU and the Eastern European member states animal welfare standards are a disgrace.
    Last edited by Private Church; 07-12-2017 at 5:49 PM.
    • phillw
    • By phillw 7th Dec 17, 6:22 PM
    • 1,032 Posts
    • 615 Thanks
    phillw
    In the case of Argentina we import very little beef and its folly to imply the UK will be "flooded with Argentine /Brazilian beef".
    Originally posted by Private Church
    It would have seemed inconceivable to think we would have bought horse lasagne. It all comes down to cost.
    • RikM
    • By RikM 7th Dec 17, 6:43 PM
    • 578 Posts
    • 306 Thanks
    RikM
    It would have seemed inconceivable to think we would have bought horse lasagne. It all comes down to cost.
    I quite enjoy a horse steak when it's not labeled as beef...
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 7th Dec 17, 6:52 PM
    • 2,134 Posts
    • 1,247 Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    The question you should be asking is why the UK beef producers haven't stepped up to the plate and increased production. Currently the UK imports around 199,000 tonnes of beef but only export around 70,000 tonnes. So given this fact do you think the EU will win the battle with tariffs? .Our current trade deficit with the EU is around £60 billion (£60 thousand million a year)......

.In the case of Argentina we import very little beef and its folly to imply the UK will be "flooded with Argentine /Brazilian beef". If we want to talk about poor animal welfare standards then look no further than the EU where French farmers force feed Geese and ducks to produce Foie Gras ,sub standard veal crates are still in abundance within the EU and the Eastern European member states animal welfare standards are a disgrace.
    It would be tricky to increase beef production without increasing our land area. Perhaps we could abandon grazing and keep all our cattle standing up and eating silage imported from somewhere grassy. The model of beef production is, however, to leave a bullock in a field to eat grass.

Of course we don’t import much beef from Argentina nowadays. That’s because we’re in the eu. Post brexit, low cost will ensure South American beef is favoured when the CAP no longer applies. The masses will have to have something to placate them. Cheap food is always a crowd pleaser.
    Last edited by qwert yuiop; 07-12-2017 at 6:54 PM.
    • phillw
    • By phillw 7th Dec 17, 7:09 PM
    • 1,032 Posts
    • 615 Thanks
    phillw
    I quite enjoy a horse steak when it's not labeled as beef...
    If you enjoy it then why do you care what it's labelled? You don't eat the label
    • Private Church
    • By Private Church 7th Dec 17, 7:29 PM
    • 497 Posts
    • 1,530 Thanks
    Private Church
    It would be tricky to increase beef production without increasing our land area. Perhaps we could abandon grazing and keep all our cattle standing up and eating silage imported from somewhere grassy. The model of beef production is, however, to leave a bullock in a field to eat grass.
    I don't agree and one of the reasons UK beef production has dropped is down to being undercut by EU producers with Eire being the prime culprit and Eire is a far smaller land mass than mainland UK.

I never have seen the sense in belonging to a club where we are all supposed to be working together when the fact is each country undercuts their neighbours just to get ahead. Its hypocrisy at its worse.

Then we have the fact that the EU takes money from the UK taxpayer and spends it in Poland ,builds factories that make the same products but at a cheaper cost so the fact is the Poles are undercutting the UK and the Germans and the best bit is we are paying for it.

Now if the Govt had been honest with the UK public back in the 1970's when we joined and said "We are going to donate £billions a year to the EU who are going to give it to other EU countries to build factories to then make the same products as other EU countries do but cheaper and put other EU countries citizens out of work". Do you think we would ever have voted to Join this debacle?.

Of course we don’t import much beef from Argentina nowadays. That’s because we’re in the eu. Post brexit, low cost will ensure South American beef is favoured when the CAP no longer applies. The masses will have to have something to placate them. Cheap food is always a crowd pleaser.
    Cheap food? We are constantly told by the bitter and twisted remainers that post Brexit food prices wil rise so I just wish they would be consistant. The economist Patrick Minford and others believe food prices will actually fall due because currently the EU imposes tarrifs on many food products imported into the market and the fact is we are already being undercut by Irish farmers and thats whilst we are members of the EU...What do you think Poland and Bulgaria bring to the EU apart from mass migration of labour which suppresses the wages of the low skilled/low paid and in the case of Poland's expanding haulage industry , undercutting the rest of the EU haulage industry?. Ask German and Dutch lorry drivers what they think of Polands "Posted workers".

. Incidentally why did the majority of UK farmers vote to leave the EU if their businesses will go bust through cheap imports?.
    Last edited by Private Church; 07-12-2017 at 7:35 PM.
    • RikM
    • By RikM 7th Dec 17, 8:00 PM
    • 578 Posts
    • 306 Thanks
    RikM
    If you enjoy it then why do you care what it's labelled? You don't eat the label
    Provenance. If the labeling is false, you have no idea what you're getting. It breaks the traceability chain.
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 7th Dec 17, 8:10 PM
    • 2,134 Posts
    • 1,247 Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    Cheap food? We are constantly told by the bitter and twisted remainers that post Brexit food prices wil rise so I just wish they would be consistant. The economist Patrick Minford and others believe food prices will actually fall due because currently the EU imposes tarrifs on many food products imported into the market and the fact is we are already being undercut by Irish farmers and thats whilst we are members of the EU

. Incidentally why did the majority of UK farmers vote to leave the EU if their businesses will go bust through cheap imports?.
    I’m neither bitter nor twisted, and I fully agree that brexit would mean cheap food from abroad. You know about the CAP, you know that has led to a level of cost unsustainable on the world market, and certainly unable to compete with the low cost ranch style of beef production in South America. Although of course who knows what level the pound will find in a couple of years’ time? Too early to say what we’ll be able to afford from abroad.

Southern Irish farmers are not undercutting Britain’s with the level of the euro.

I’m sure you’re aware of the strange phenomenon of people voting directly contrary to their own interests. In the case of farmers, there are so many aspects to farming that one change, such as an increase in barley prices, would mean a boost to cereal growers and a blow to the pig farmers whose businesses are based on grain as a feed. What sort of farmers voted out? Who voted in? I don’t know either.

There was so much nonsense promoted around brexit. What about 350million a week for the health service? I haven’t heard so much about that recently.
    Last edited by qwert yuiop; 08-12-2017 at 6:35 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

222Posts Today

1,489Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin