Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 4th Dec 17, 5:57 PM
    • 2,137Posts
    • 1,248Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    Exit brexit?
    • 4th Dec 17, 5:57 PM
    Exit brexit? 4th Dec 17 at 5:57 PM
    Proving to be a bit more difficult than imagined, isnít it?

Weíre a special case. So is London, so is Scotland, so is Gibraltar.

Whatís the likelihood of it just not happening at all?
Page 1
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 4th Dec 17, 6:46 PM
    • 1,864 Posts
    • 3,882 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:46 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:46 PM
    The government are utter morons. I already knew this, but after today, how anyone can deny it is beyond me.

It's turned into some hideously bad satire. All we need now is Donald Trump to zoom in on his golf buggy. Oh, wait ...
    • Cotta
    • By Cotta 4th Dec 17, 8:25 PM
    • 2,514 Posts
    • 993 Thanks
    Cotta
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:25 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:25 PM
    I always knew it wouldn't go ahead, hardly great for democracy as this was a nationwide vote.
    • newatc
    • By newatc 4th Dec 17, 8:34 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    newatc
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:34 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:34 PM
    How could anyone with the slightest knowledge of Ireland go to the EC to agree a deal along the lines suggested without getting some agreement with the DUP.
    The worlds oldest and most incompetent democracy. Shambles shambles shambles.
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 4th Dec 17, 8:38 PM
    • 2,137 Posts
    • 1,248 Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:38 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:38 PM
    That was close. If it hadn’t been for Arlene, Northern Ireland could have found itself in the best trading position in Europe - tariff free trade with Great Britain and the EU.
    • RikM
    • By RikM 4th Dec 17, 9:29 PM
    • 578 Posts
    • 306 Thanks
    RikM
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:29 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:29 PM
    I'm just waiting for the announcement that the DUP have abolished the Irish sea, because they don't want any barriers between NI and the rest of the UK...
    • BigAl94
    • By BigAl94 4th Dec 17, 11:02 PM
    • 1,599 Posts
    • 868 Thanks
    BigAl94
    • 4th Dec 17, 11:02 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 11:02 PM
    So Arlene says "We will not accept any form of regulatory divergence which separates Northern Ireland economically or politically from the rest of the United Kingdom."

So same sex marriage and abortion are on the cards for DUP?
    • Old Git
    • By Old Git 5th Dec 17, 4:01 AM
    • 4,251 Posts
    • 3,716 Thanks
    Old Git
    • 5th Dec 17, 4:01 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 4:01 AM
    That was close. If it hadnít been for Arlene, Northern Ireland could have found itself in the best trading position in Europe - tariff free trade with Great Britain and the EU.
    Originally posted by qwert yuiop
    I was thinking the same .Employers would have flocked here,the best of both worlds .Would could go wrong.
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
    • BigAl94
    • By BigAl94 5th Dec 17, 9:16 AM
    • 1,599 Posts
    • 868 Thanks
    BigAl94
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:16 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:16 AM
    I was thinking the same .Employers would have flocked here,the best of both worlds .Would could go wrong.
    Originally posted by Old Git
    Exactly! https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/northern-ireland/business-says-eu-bridge-deal-for-ni-would-bring-investment-36379300.html
    Looks like the DUP strategy risks destroying the province but can't see it through blind bigotry.
    • guiriman
    • By guiriman 5th Dec 17, 9:46 AM
    • 358 Posts
    • 208 Thanks
    guiriman
    Looks like the DUP strategy risks destroying the province but can't see it through blind bigotry.
    Originally posted by BigAl94
    They've acted in accordance with their political beliefs and the election platform on which they stood, where's the bigotry?
    • BigAl94
    • By BigAl94 5th Dec 17, 10:27 AM
    • 1,599 Posts
    • 868 Thanks
    BigAl94
    Their political beliefs and election platform are full of it.
    • guiriman
    • By guiriman 5th Dec 17, 10:51 AM
    • 358 Posts
    • 208 Thanks
    guiriman
    Not disagreeing with that but I don't see the bigotry in taking the position that the province be treated the same as the rest of the UK
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 5th Dec 17, 10:55 AM
    • 2,137 Posts
    • 1,248 Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    Exactly! https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/northern-ireland/business-says-eu-bridge-deal-for-ni-would-bring-investment-36379300.html
    Originally posted by BigAl94
    It would never work. We import a container load of Lebanese garlic to Belfast tariff free, as the U.K. is no longer in the eu. Then we run it down to the market in Dublin, since NI is still in the customs union, and sell it in the vegetable market, or even ship it on to Le Havre tariff free.
    Not going to happen. At least, not legally.
    • RikM
    • By RikM 5th Dec 17, 2:03 PM
    • 578 Posts
    • 306 Thanks
    RikM
    <sarcasm> maybe the DUP are determined to keep the UK in the customs union... </sarcasm>
    • x12yhp
    • By x12yhp 5th Dec 17, 11:57 PM
    • 756 Posts
    • 416 Thanks
    x12yhp
    The DUP are strategic morons. They voted Brexit to counter nationalists wishing to remain. Result - consideration of NI becoming separate from UK and making a United ireland a truly plausible scenario. A result that republicans never approached. Now they are forced into a situation where they would knowingly harm NI because it hurts their sensibilities. Their stance now risks ruining Brexit. Despite being pro Brexit, they now follow a path which may very well contradict it entirely.

Politicians are known for some odd decisions but the DUP seem intent on putting out one fire only to pour petrol on themselves, seconds later.
    Always overestimating...
    • phillw
    • By phillw 6th Dec 17, 12:11 AM
    • 1,041 Posts
    • 622 Thanks
    phillw
    The DUP are strategic morons.
    Originally posted by x12yhp
    That seems to be common with brexit. Status quo was the best option.

That was close. If it hadn’t been for Arlene, Northern Ireland could have found itself in the best trading position in Europe - tariff free trade with Great Britain and the EU.
    But certainly not friction less trade between NI and Great Britain, which they enjoy now.
    Last edited by phillw; 06-12-2017 at 12:14 AM.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 6th Dec 17, 2:35 AM
    • 1,071 Posts
    • 1,139 Thanks
    badmemory
    You never know, maybe NI via the DUP may save us all from catastrophe! An unlikely scenario I know, but you never know.
    • RikM
    • By RikM 6th Dec 17, 8:30 AM
    • 578 Posts
    • 306 Thanks
    RikM
    It would never work. We import a container load of Lebanese garlic to Belfast tariff free, as the U.K. is no longer in the eu. Then we run it down to the market in Dublin, since NI is still in the customs union, and sell it in the vegetable market, or even ship it on to Le Havre tariff free.
    Not going to happen. At least, not legally.
    I thought WTO tariffs on food were really steep...? I can recall seeing a figure of 22% quoted somewhere...
    • guiriman
    • By guiriman 6th Dec 17, 9:47 AM
    • 358 Posts
    • 208 Thanks
    guiriman
    I thought WTO tariffs on food were really steep...? I can recall seeing a figure of 22% quoted somewhere...
    Originally posted by RikM
    But is that not just in the absence of a trade agreement? If you make a trade agreement then tariffs can be whatever you want (I think). That was part of the argument for Brexit, UK becomes free to negotiate it's own agreements rather than having been stuck with EU-negotiated ones that may not work for the UK specifically.
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 6th Dec 17, 10:20 AM
    • 2,137 Posts
    • 1,248 Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    There only has to be a tariff on garlic (or whatever) in the uk if that’s what they choose to do. Supposedly we’re going to become a free trading nation.

Anyone hear that welsh mp on the radio this morning talking about the border? He’s responsible for introducing border controls post brexit. He’s never been here, and he hasn’t a clue.

Dismaying stuff.
    Last edited by qwert yuiop; 06-12-2017 at 10:44 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

289Posts Today

1,682Users online

Martin's Twitter