Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stclair
    • By stclair 4th Dec 17, 5:52 PM
    • 6,383Posts
    • 3,399Thanks
    stclair
    Pet Permission - Housing Assocation (Great Places)
    • 4th Dec 17, 5:52 PM
    Pet Permission - Housing Assocation (Great Places) 4th Dec 17 at 5:52 PM
    Hi,

Was wondering if anyone could advise. Iím Current a tennant in a housing association apartment block and in my tenancy it states you need to request written permission to keep a pet.

I have recently put the request in writing and my request was refused due to the fact we donít have our own door. But the complex itís self has mixed tenancy with leaseholders and Housing Assocation tenants.

But leaseholders are allowed dogs but tenants canít even though we all use the same doors to access to the building.

I was wondering if anyone has come across this situation before? as Iím at a loss why we as tenants would be treated differently.
    I Work For the RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
Page 1
    • t0rt0ise
    • By t0rt0ise 4th Dec 17, 6:33 PM
    • 2,930 Posts
    • 1,794 Thanks
    t0rt0ise
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:33 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:33 PM
    I don't know what advice you want really. It's normal rules for a HA. If you want a pet get a guinea pig or something that can be kept indoors.
    • Cheeky_Monkey
    • By Cheeky_Monkey 4th Dec 17, 6:48 PM
    • 1,407 Posts
    • 2,759 Thanks
    Cheeky_Monkey
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:48 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:48 PM
    Presumably you are treated differently because you don't own your flat.

If you want to live in a HA property, you will have to abide by their rules I'm afraid.
    I used to be indecisive - now I'm not so sure
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 4th Dec 17, 6:56 PM
    • 6,245 Posts
    • 6,026 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:56 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:56 PM
    I was wondering if anyone has come across this situation before? as Iím at a loss why we as tenants would be treated differently.
    Originally posted by stclair
    Maybe it's a blanket policy for all of the HA's tenants, irrespective of whether they live in a mixed tenure block or not?
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 4th Dec 17, 7:48 PM
    • 3,947 Posts
    • 2,943 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:48 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:48 PM
    The leaseholders will have different agreements to the Housing Association tenancy agreements.
    • ognum
    • By ognum 4th Dec 17, 8:10 PM
    • 4,490 Posts
    • 6,774 Thanks
    ognum
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:10 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:10 PM
    Are you sure the leaseholders are actually allowed to have dogs. Very few leases allow dogs and cat due to the possibility of them disturbing other owners.
    • boliston
    • By boliston 4th Dec 17, 9:20 PM
    • 2,450 Posts
    • 2,014 Thanks
    boliston
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:20 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:20 PM
    If you are a tenant as opposed to a leaseholder then there are often more restrictive rules within the same block - an example is smoking - often tenants are forced to smoke outside in the street while leaseholders get to smoke in the comfort of their living room.
    • stclair
    • By stclair 5th Dec 17, 10:51 AM
    • 6,383 Posts
    • 3,399 Thanks
    stclair
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:51 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:51 AM
    Sorry for the delay in posting….

I did seek permission from the HA but the reason for refusal was:

“It is very unlikely permission will be granted for a dog if the property does not have a separate entrance and sole use of a garden, as per the policy. The group’s policy contributes to Great Places meeting the regulatory standard around neighbourhood management which requires us to keep neighbourhood and communal areas associated with the homes that we own clean and safe. Only in exceptional cases, i.e. where an assistance dog is required due to a disability, we will consider these requests”

However leaseholders are allowed pets but obviously they use the same door and communal areas as us HA tenant’s so that’s what’s baffled me a slightly. If that was the case I would have thought there would have been a blanket no dog’s policy unless it was a service dog for example.
    I Work For the RBS Group
    • G_M
    • By G_M 5th Dec 17, 10:54 AM
    • 42,230 Posts
    • 49,030 Thanks
    G_M
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:54 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:54 AM
    Buy a lease?
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 5th Dec 17, 11:36 AM
    • 60,939 Posts
    • 355,940 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Maybe there is only one rule - and those you see don't have permission, they just do it.
    • stclair
    • By stclair 5th Dec 17, 1:24 PM
    • 6,383 Posts
    • 3,399 Thanks
    stclair
    Maybe there is only one rule - and those you see don't have permission, they just do it.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    No they have confirmed it’s possible for leaseholders just abit strange to me considering there only using the door and communal garden as the reason for refusal.
    Last edited by stclair; 05-12-2017 at 1:27 PM.
    I Work For the RBS Group
    • PersianCatLady
    • By PersianCatLady 5th Dec 17, 1:32 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 327 Thanks
    PersianCatLady
    It isn't strange at all, leaseholders have paid a lot of money to buy the ability to live in their flats for a number of years, HA tenants haven't.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 5th Dec 17, 1:50 PM
    • 3,261 Posts
    • 4,541 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    No they have confirmed itís possible for leaseholders just abit strange to me considering there only using the door and communal garden as the reason for refusal.
    Probably due to the experience of the housing association and the number and type of pets they have had with past tenants. I can see that it would be easier just to make a rule of no pets unless you have an outside door to stop people just opening the flat door and letting the dog run round the building.

HA tenants have less invested in their homes than leaseholders. Who wants to pay a lot of money to live in a building which has dog poo in all the communal areas on a daily basis because of pet owners who don't care about the other residents?
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 5th Dec 17, 3:55 PM
    • 6,384 Posts
    • 5,157 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    No they have confirmed it’s possible for leaseholders just abit strange to me considering there only using the door and communal garden as the reason for refusal.
    HA's rarely allow pets to homes with shared spaces as other residents (regardless of ownership!) may not welcome them. Assuming the HA is the freeholder it is strange there are different rules. How common is it for privately owned flats to have leasehold restriction on pets?
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 5th Dec 17, 4:04 PM
    • 350 Posts
    • 495 Thanks
    Slithery
    How common is it for privately owned flats to have leasehold restriction on pets?
    Originally posted by Norman Castle
    Very common.
    • PersianCatLady
    • By PersianCatLady 6th Dec 17, 7:04 AM
    • 346 Posts
    • 327 Thanks
    PersianCatLady
    HA's rarely allow pets to homes with shared spaces as other residents (regardless of ownership!) may not welcome them. Assuming the HA is the freeholder it is strange there are different rules. How common is it for privately owned flats to have leasehold restriction on pets?
    I don't think that it is strange that there are different rules for HA tenants and flat leaseholders.

People that purchase a lease that gives them the right to live in a flat (or whatever they choose to do) for a number of years for all intents and purposes OWN their flat whereas HA tenants don't.

If the HA has decided that their tenants can't have a pet and the OP wants a pet that badly then perhaps she should find a private landlord that will permit her to keep a pet. I would expect that a private LL would charge a lot more rent and a large deposit as well as a pet deposit.

What the OP should stop doing is expecting the tenants to have the same rights as people who have bought their flats (all be it leasehold).
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 6th Dec 17, 12:59 PM
    • 6,384 Posts
    • 5,157 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    I don't think that it is strange that there are different rules for HA tenants and flat leaseholders.

What the OP should stop doing is expecting the tenants to have the same rights as people who have bought their flats (all be it leasehold).
    Originally posted by PersianCatLady
    There aren't really different rules for HA tenants, there are additional rules. The tenants of the HA properties and privately owned/rented flats will have to comply to the lease. The HA tenants will also have to comply with their tenancy agreement.

Both owner occupiers and the HA will have bought their properties.
    Last edited by Norman Castle; 06-12-2017 at 1:05 PM.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.
    • PersianCatLady
    • By PersianCatLady 7th Dec 17, 6:50 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 327 Thanks
    PersianCatLady
    There aren't really different rules for HA tenants, there are additional rules. The tenants of the HA properties and privately owned/rented flats will have to comply to the lease. The HA tenants will also have to comply with their tenancy agreement.

Both owner occupiers and the HA will have bought their properties.
    You are right, that is a better way of putting it Norman.
    • stclair
    • By stclair 7th Dec 17, 8:29 PM
    • 6,383 Posts
    • 3,399 Thanks
    stclair

People that purchase a lease that gives them the right to live in a flat (or whatever they choose to do) for a number of years for all intents and purposes OWN their flat whereas HA tenants don't.

If the HA has decided that their tenants can't have a pet and the OP wants a pet that badly then perhaps she should find a private landlord that will permit her to keep a pet. I would expect that a private LL would charge a lot more rent and a large deposit as well as a pet deposit.

Originally posted by PersianCatLady
    I’ve not asked for the same rights I’m just saying more about the reason they have given. Having said that they’ve agreed now without any problem. I’ll actually be buying the property anyway in mid 2018.
    Last edited by stclair; 07-12-2017 at 8:38 PM.
    I Work For the RBS Group
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,405Posts Today

8,003Users online

Martin's Twitter