Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shezza2
    • By shezza2 4th Dec 17, 5:31 PM
    • 166Posts
    • 47Thanks
    shezza2
    What would import duties be?
    • 4th Dec 17, 5:31 PM
    What would import duties be? 4th Dec 17 at 5:31 PM
    Hi all I have seen an item on Ebay that I am interested in the problem is the taxes I would have to pay. The item is located in Japan and listed at $1,086.95 Does anyone know how much I will have to pay in duties?
Page 1
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 4th Dec 17, 6:06 PM
    • 248 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    Brynsam
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:06 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:06 PM
    Is it covered by ebay's GPS?

If not, depends what it is. See https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty and https://www.shippo.co.uk/faqs/what-duties-and-taxes-will-i-have-to-pay/
    • shezza2
    • By shezza2 4th Dec 17, 6:49 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    shezza2
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:49 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:49 PM

What is Ebay GPS?
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 4th Dec 17, 6:52 PM
    • 7,755 Posts
    • 8,021 Thanks
    pappa golf
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:52 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:52 PM
    only if they have maps! , perhaps the wording should have said global shipping program
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 4th Dec 17, 7:03 PM
    • 11,435 Posts
    • 7,713 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:03 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:03 PM
    https://sellercentre.ebay.co.uk/private/global-shipping-programme

GSP
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 5th Dec 17, 12:40 AM
    • 26,230 Posts
    • 10,469 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 5th Dec 17, 12:40 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 12:40 AM
    Listed in US $ but from Japan? Have you treble checked the seller?

Is it a large heavy item? Is "fully insured" shipping included in that price? Add the cost of shipping to the final amount also, then the customs and VAT on top of that.

What category item? Some items are rated differently.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 5th Dec 17, 9:21 AM
    • 7,300 Posts
    • 4,079 Thanks
    martindow
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:21 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:21 AM
    You can find out the customs fees here

https://www.gov.uk/trade-tariff

As has been said duty may be payable at varying percentages dependant on what the item is and with a few exceptions VAT at 20%. There will also be a customs clearance fee payable to the carrier.

You also need to be sure that their shipping cost includes insurance and delivery to your door. Items sent by sea will have a lot of extra charges payable at the dockside and you will have to arrange onward carriage from the port.

You need to price this up and see if it is still worthwhile once all the costs are included.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,215Posts Today

5,875Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• Follow Martin