Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 4th Dec 17, 4:42 PM
    • 24,085Posts
    • 66,698Thanks
    Doozergirl
    Cat Flap in a cavity wall
    • 4th Dec 17, 4:42 PM
    Cat Flap in a cavity wall 4th Dec 17 at 4:42 PM
    At the monent I can only find tunnel extensions that are tiny and clip together, meaning I need to pay £50 odd for enough plastic to go through a cavity wall. None of it is even going to be seen.

Any other solutions, please?

Put one in a brand new composite door?
    Last edited by Doozergirl; 04-12-2017 at 4:46 PM.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
Page 1
    • jrrowleyws
    • By jrrowleyws 4th Dec 17, 4:53 PM
    • 596 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    jrrowleyws
    • 4th Dec 17, 4:53 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 4:53 PM
    These aren't that expensive http://www.catflaps.co.uk/White-Staywell-Tunnel-Extension-For-Walls-REL310 probably about 20 quid to go through a cavity.

I'd wonder if a cat would be happy using a flap with such a long tunnel?

I'd just use an appropriate diameter waste pipe to line it.
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 4th Dec 17, 4:57 PM
    • 3,884 Posts
    • 7,897 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    • 4th Dec 17, 4:57 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 4:57 PM
    I've certainly had one in a cavity wall, but it was there before I moved in. Reason not to do it; it, and the wall, got filthy, and it was extra-difficult to keep clean.

When I put one in a new glass door, I replaced a pane with wood, and fitted it there. Much easier to keep clean, and elderly (very) and infirm (you try telling him that!) found the shorter passage much easier to use.

I'm not sure, but I imagine it might be much more difficult to convince a cat not used to a flap already that a long-tunnel one wasn't the work of Beelzepup, leading to certain maceration.

Having said that, I'm also sure that I have seen cheap extensions for some catflaps. Have you tried Zooplus, where I get a lot of pet stuff from. Mind you, my wife might have got it herself, and she's a vet, so would have gone straight to the wholesale suppliers. Handy one to have about, she is.

Edit: just browsed Zooplus, and they don't sell the extensions alone. jrr above seems to have found something.
    Last edited by DaftyDuck; 04-12-2017 at 5:05 PM.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 4th Dec 17, 5:04 PM
    • 24,085 Posts
    • 66,698 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 4th Dec 17, 5:04 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 5:04 PM
    These aren't that expensive http://www.catflaps.co.uk/White-Staywell-Tunnel-Extension-For-Walls-REL310 probably about 20 quid to go through a cavity.

I'd wonder if a cat would be happy using a flap with such a long tunnel?

I'd just use an appropriate diameter waste pipe to line it.
    Originally posted by jrrowleyws
    I was thinking both of those things. Waste pipe is cheaper but might freak the cat out!
    • flashg67
    • By flashg67 4th Dec 17, 5:08 PM
    • 2,300 Posts
    • 1,507 Thanks
    flashg67
    • 4th Dec 17, 5:08 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 5:08 PM
    I cut the hole myself then lined it with large cheap ceramic tiles
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 4th Dec 17, 5:41 PM
    • 24,085 Posts
    • 66,698 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 4th Dec 17, 5:41 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 5:41 PM
    It’s about £50 more to out it into a new french door, so I think that’s the best idea. I can’t imagine going to the effort of a tunnel and then the cat turning its nose up at it!
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 4th Dec 17, 5:59 PM
    • 3,345 Posts
    • 6,207 Thanks
    EachPenny
    • 4th Dec 17, 5:59 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 5:59 PM
    Itís about £50 more to out it into a new french door, so I think thatís the best idea. I canít imagine going to the effort of a tunnel and then the cat turning its nose up at it!
    Originally posted by Doozergirl
    Probably the best bet, you can never please cats

If it absolutely had to go through a cavity wall I'd suggest a much larger diameter than 4 inch would be needed. Personally I'd be on the look out for some offcuts of 6 or more likely 9 inch rigid polypipe as I pass any conveniently located construction sites - obviously seeking permission from the foreman, and hoping they are an animal lover.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 4th Dec 17, 6:04 PM
    • 3,884 Posts
    • 7,897 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:04 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:04 PM
    Itís about £50 more to out it into a new french door, so I think thatís the best idea. I canít imagine going to the effort of a tunnel and then the cat turning its nose up at it!
    Originally posted by Doozergirl
    Whatever you spend £50 on, the cat will turn its nose up at it.

It'll love the wrapping it came in, though!
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 4th Dec 17, 6:26 PM
    • 4,763 Posts
    • 20,778 Thanks
    Slinky
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:26 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:26 PM
    A friend put one in where there had previously been a warm air heating duct venting into the house. They'd got a square hole about a foot square, lined it with wood through the wall then the cat flap set into a piece of wood on the outside.

We've just had a new patio door fitted in our new house and have had upvc panel as part of a side panel where we will eventually fit a catflap when we move into that house. A side panel with upvc at the bottom, a glass panel above plus a fan light window was £140 inc vat extra than the ordinary sliding doors that were there before.
    • z1a
    • By z1a 4th Dec 17, 6:28 PM
    • 818 Posts
    • 653 Thanks
    z1a
    I cut the hole myself then lined it with large cheap ceramic tiles
    Originally posted by flashg67
    That is what I did.
    • mpet
    • By mpet 5th Dec 17, 7:24 PM
    • 389 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    mpet
    We also made a wooden Ďtunnelí I think from conti board. We then screwed the cat flap itself to the wood - flush to the brickwork.
    The cat didnít have any problem using the Ďtunnelí, but if you have a cat that is used to a Ďnormalí cat flap it may need some re-training!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

458Posts Today

2,838Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin