Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • winnac01
    • By winnac01 4th Dec 17, 4:30 PM
    • 25Posts
    • 18Thanks
    winnac01
    sick pay finished
    • 4th Dec 17, 4:30 PM
    sick pay finished 4th Dec 17 at 4:30 PM
    my Sick pay from work runs out this month and I am in the process of claiming ESA, I emailed work telling them that I am unable to return to my job, this was no surprise to them as we have kept in touch throughout I also asked about holiday pay owed etc.

the reply I have got was.

Please, can you confirm if you wish to tend your resignation and if so from what date?

If this is your intention we can then pay across to you as your final payslip all holidays accrued and not taken up to your resignation date.

Now I'm sure this is fine and I am happy to resign as it will mean getting my holiday pay before Christmas, I just want to make sure I'm not tripping myself up by doing so.

Thanks in advance Chris.
Page 1
    • bigbulldog
    • By bigbulldog 4th Dec 17, 6:28 PM
    • 568 Posts
    • 663 Thanks
    bigbulldog
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:28 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:28 PM
    Do not resign as this WILL effect any employment rights you have with your current employer as well as your dwp benefits

However that is the only advise I can give as there is NOT enough information to advise on anything else.
    • lewishardwick
    • By lewishardwick 4th Dec 17, 6:37 PM
    • 484 Posts
    • 592 Thanks
    lewishardwick
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:37 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:37 PM
    How long is long term?

My employer has sickness cover that means if you are off sick for over 6 months, your employment is terminated and you're given 75% of your annual salary as severance.

Read your contract of employment, or ask for a copy of the original.
    • winnac01
    • By winnac01 4th Dec 17, 7:12 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    winnac01
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:12 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:12 PM
    it's hard to say how long before I am able to return to any kind of work, going off my current progress it will probably be at least another year, i will definately NOT be returning to my current job roll as it is now far to physically demanding. i am only receiving SSP on a weekly basis my company does not offer company sick pay.

cheers Chris
    • winnac01
    • By winnac01 4th Dec 17, 7:15 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    winnac01
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:15 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:15 PM
    this is what I'm afraid off it affecting my ESA claim.

regards Chris
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 4th Dec 17, 7:19 PM
    • 1,864 Posts
    • 3,874 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:19 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:19 PM
    Resigning will absolutely not affect your entitlement to ESA.

You could let your employer go through the capability process, but then you'll have a dismissal on your employment record. Also, given that you've acknowledged you cannot return to your role, that process is not going to buy you much time at all.
    • winnac01
    • By winnac01 4th Dec 17, 7:25 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    winnac01
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:25 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:25 PM
    I'm definitely not going back to that job and I don't really want to drag it out for them if I was fit enough in the future they would probably take me back anytime.

thanks Chris
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 4th Dec 17, 7:39 PM
    • 17,011 Posts
    • 26,032 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:39 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:39 PM
    My husband's in a similar situation although he's only been ill since July, only 21 weeks. They want to end his contract even though he plans to return once he's well enough. He will be given a relief contract instead.
    Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving . Albert Einstein.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
    • Chris_M
    • By Chris_M 6th Dec 17, 10:47 AM
    • 95 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    Chris_M
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:47 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:47 AM
    Op, I am in a similar position to you. Been signed off sick for 12 months, SSP has run out and I'm currently on contributions ESA. I'm hopeful for a return to work sometime in 2018 but probably not in my current role. I do have provisions in my contract to be retrained in another less phyiscally demanding role.

My employer has been putting pressure on me to take my annual holiday leave but according to ACAS, an employee can carry forward their entitlement for upto 18 months.

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1374

Now, this is all relative and if you need the money now, take it. Personally I currently have 36 days holiday owed and this will increase to 69 days in 2018, as I don't need the money now and would prefer the time off.
    Last edited by Chris_M; 06-12-2017 at 11:19 AM.
    100% debt free
    House - bought and paid for
    Contents - bought and paid for

£12k in '12 No.198: £12,554/£12,000
    • NCC-1707
    • By NCC-1707 6th Dec 17, 12:33 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    NCC-1707
    my Sick pay from work runs out this month...

Thanks in advance Chris.
    Originally posted by winnac01
    ...my company does not offer company sick pay.

cheers Chris
    Originally posted by winnac01

Which is it?
    • winnac01
    • By winnac01 6th Dec 17, 7:35 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    winnac01
    My company does not offer sick pay i only received SSP

Thanks Chris.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

458Posts Today

2,838Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin