Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • followjohn
    • By followjohn 4th Dec 17, 3:57 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    followjohn
    Car insurance cancelled by insurer -- do I have to declare?
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:57 PM
    Car insurance cancelled by insurer -- do I have to declare? 4th Dec 17 at 3:57 PM
    Hi, I took out a motor insurance policy earlier in the year for a second vehicle (car) I'd bought. I've owned a vehicle (van) for 3 years prior to this, and have 3 years no claims discount. My car insurer has written to inform me that my policy has been cancelled - and I've received a refund for the unused premiums paid - due to not being able to prove my NCD. I wasn't even aware that I'd declared I had the NCD when buying the car policy as it is in use on the van's policy.

The insurers have not attempted to contact me, and my only knowledge of an issue was when I received the letter of cancellation through the post a few days ago informing me that it was due to an outstanding balance on my account. I've attempted to speak to the insurer to reinstate the policy and/or get re-quoted but their customer service team don't seem to be very knowledgeable or helpful, and told me I should apply through the online form to get a discount?!?!

In short, will this cancellation affect any future insurance applications? They have my card details on account and chose not to process the additional balance, and likewise have my telephone number on account but have not made any attempt to contact me? So, technically, they've not given me the chance to query/rectify the issue.

I accept that if I've entered that I have an NCD on the car policy then it's been incorrectly declared - as mentioned it is in use on my van.

I've also checked the Consumer Insurance (Disclosure and Representations) Act 2012 (sorry -
    can't post link as I'm a newly registered user) and from my understanding, the fact that they have issued the refund makes me believe that they see the issue as a "Careless misrepresentation" and have processed it accordingly under paragraph 9 (7). However, does this mean that I must now declare/disclose that my policy has been cancelled? If so, can I contest this given the above circumstances and having not been allowed the chance to query/contest the issue before being notified of a pending cancellation?

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 4th Dec 17, 4:02 PM
    • 33,478 Posts
    • 17,356 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 4th Dec 17, 4:02 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 4:02 PM
    Yes, this is a cancellation which will be on your record and must be disclosed to other insurers you approach for quotes

Whenever you are unhappy with your insurer then you need to go down the complaint route. (Their complaints procedure will be set out in the policy docs)

As most insurers ask if you have "ever" had a policy cancelled it is well worth doing everything you can to try and get your policy reinstated
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,692Posts Today

8,338Users online

Martin's Twitter