Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Rheys99
    • By Rheys99 4th Dec 17, 3:54 PM
    • 17Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Rheys99
    Anyone completed a Deed of Trust WITHOUT a solicitor?
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:54 PM
    Anyone completed a Deed of Trust WITHOUT a solicitor? 4th Dec 17 at 3:54 PM
    Just that really...anyone?
Page 1
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 4th Dec 17, 4:28 PM
    • 690 Posts
    • 415 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 4th Dec 17, 4:28 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 4:28 PM
    You could copy someone else's if they will give you a copy and you think it is relevant to your situation.
    I could not find any reliable templates for a DOT on the internet.
    A solicitor will probably charge 1-2 hrs for a basic DOT so say £150 - £500.
    There are several online website that offer to prepare a DOT for a fee but I have no idea whether they will be legally watertight.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 4th Dec 17, 4:40 PM
    • 30,842 Posts
    • 18,447 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 4th Dec 17, 4:40 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 4:40 PM
    loads have done them with solicitors and make a complete hash of them not covering some of the important bits like(but not limited to)

Triggers for sale or buyout(death, fallout, new partners)
    triggers for moving people in/out(new partners or lodgers if one moves out)
    can't pay won't pay
    not understanding the get your deposit back method.
    not accounting for maintenance/improvement properly when not owning 50:50
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 4th Dec 17, 4:46 PM
    • 2,227 Posts
    • 3,152 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 4th Dec 17, 4:46 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 4:46 PM
    Just because you can read about root canal surgery on the internet or watch a YouTube video doesn't mean it's a good idea to try it on yourself. The law, like dentistry, is probably one of those areas in which it's worth hiring a professional.

And to pre-empt the inevitable chorus of "but this is a money saving site", all I'll say is that there is economy and there is false economy, and this question is one of the later not the former.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,474Posts Today

6,157Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin