Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cherry Gale
    • By Cherry Gale 4th Dec 17, 2:40 PM
    • 400Posts
    • 584Thanks
    Cherry Gale
    Temporary insurance for newly licenced driver
    • 4th Dec 17, 2:40 PM
    Temporary insurance for newly licenced driver 4th Dec 17 at 2:40 PM
    I've recently passed my driving test, and don't plan to own my own car in the near future, as it doesn't make sense in my location/circumstances. Ideally, I'd use public transport whenever possible, and hire a zipcar or easycarclub from my neighbourhood on the odd occasion. However, neither will accept drivers with less than a year's full licence.

That leaves only the possibility of temporary insurance on a friend's car. The best I have found is short term insurance.co.uk: minimum 3 months if aged over 25.

Any tips for car hire companies or insurers I could use after a month?
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 4th Dec 17, 2:47 PM
    • 26,225 Posts
    • 10,469 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 4th Dec 17, 2:47 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 2:47 PM
    Find a local broker to do the shopping around for you.

It wont be cheap, new driver + £££, your not the owner/registered keeper + £££ and its a high risk short term policy + £££.

Take taxis or fly everywhere its most likely to be cheaper.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Cherry Gale
    • By Cherry Gale 4th Dec 17, 3:55 PM
    • 400 Posts
    • 584 Thanks
    Cherry Gale
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:55 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:55 PM
    My brother has offered me his car for next month's trip, and says it is usually cheaper to add-on to his insurance rather than getting a standalone policy in my name. Hope this is of use to others in the same boat!

Re hire cars, I found enterprise don't appear to have a minimum licence length (not mentioned on their driver requirement), however I haven't double checked this with them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

327Posts Today

2,301Users online

Martin's Twitter