Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • linzowillo
    • By linzowillo 4th Dec 17, 2:27 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 8Thanks
    linzowillo
    Getting deposit back on a car
    • 4th Dec 17, 2:27 PM
    Getting deposit back on a car 4th Dec 17 at 2:27 PM
    We paid £150 yesterday to a dealership for a car thats £4000 we were going to get the rest on finance and pay it off over 3 years however I've just found out im being made redundant and will not be able to make the car payments so we cannot afford the car. My question is - can I get my deposit back?

Thanks.
Page 1
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 4th Dec 17, 2:39 PM
    • 1,144 Posts
    • 626 Thanks
    wongataa
    • 4th Dec 17, 2:39 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 2:39 PM
    We paid £150 yesterday to a dealership for a car thats £4000 we were going to get the rest on finance and pay it off over 3 years however I've just found out im being made redundant and will not be able to make the car payments so we cannot afford the car. My question is - can I get my deposit back?

Thanks.
    Originally posted by linzowillo
    Was it a non refundable deposit? Have a look at the terms you signed up to and/or ask the dealer.
    • linzowillo
    • By linzowillo 4th Dec 17, 3:01 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    linzowillo
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:01 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:01 PM
    On the front the contract it says 'this document contains the terms of a contract. Sign it only if you wish to be legally bound by them. Nothing herein contained is intended to, nor will it affect, a consumer's statutory rights under the sale of goods act 1979 or the unfair contract terms act 1977 or any amendment thereof. '

I dont know what this means and there is no mention of a deposit or a deposit being refundable in the terms of the contract.
    Last edited by linzowillo; 04-12-2017 at 3:06 PM.
    • z1a
    • By z1a 4th Dec 17, 6:26 PM
    • 810 Posts
    • 652 Thanks
    z1a
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:26 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:26 PM
    Not sure, but I would say that you're commited to buy it. Just explain your situation to the dealer & see what they say.
    • lewishardwick
    • By lewishardwick 4th Dec 17, 6:30 PM
    • 483 Posts
    • 591 Thanks
    lewishardwick
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:30 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:30 PM
    Have you gone through the finance application? Once down they probably want to draw down the funds asap. Give them a call first thing tomorrow and explain. If they can cancel the finance, great, but be fully prepared to lose the deposit.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,662Posts Today

7,782Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @SF_England: @MartinSLewis Thanks Martin, just so everyone is aware- check your payslips between when you graduated and the following Ap?

• Sorry to bubble burst. But each day a lot of people tweet me this. I think it doesn't show any other votes until t? https://t.co/uRny62NRc1

• Today's Twitter poll: I want to find out are people generally happy. So how happy are you today? PS I did the same? https://t.co/3Gw9ylu2H2

• Follow Martin