Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bananabread_
    • By bananabread_ 4th Dec 17, 2:09 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    bananabread_
    Received call about overdraft charge refund but now the bank has no record of it.
    • 4th Dec 17, 2:09 PM
    Received call about overdraft charge refund but now the bank has no record of it. 4th Dec 17 at 2:09 PM
    My partner received a phone call from her bank, Lloyds, a couple weeks ago about them refunding her a certain amount of unfair overdraft charges from the last 2-3 years. She received the call because they had no record of her cashing in the cheque after they sent it out, but she was unaware of being owed money at all.

The bank said they'd send out another cheque in the post but now its been 2-3 weeks and nothing has come through, and when we ring the bank they have no record of the phone call or of the cheque being sent out.

Has anyone else been in this situation? I know from experience that banks are pretty useless over the phone and the person on the other end is probably looking in all the wrong places for a record of the call. What can I do to get to the bottom of this?
Page 1
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 4th Dec 17, 2:42 PM
    • 89,873 Posts
    • 56,545 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 4th Dec 17, 2:42 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 2:42 PM
    My partner received a phone call from her bank, Lloyds, a couple weeks ago about them refunding her a certain amount of unfair overdraft charges from the last 2-3 years.
    The banks won the unfair bank charge case in 2009. Since then, any complaint about unfair bank charges is rejected.

She received the call because they had no record of her cashing in the cheque after they sent it out, but she was unaware of being owed money at all.

The bank said they'd send out another cheque in the post but now its been 2-3 weeks and nothing has come through, and when we ring the bank they have no record of the phone call or of the cheque being sent out.
    Is she sure that this was really her bank and not a scammer pretending to be in order to get her bank details or try and sign up her to something?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 4th Dec 17, 2:46 PM
    • 18,896 Posts
    • 10,119 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 4th Dec 17, 2:46 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 2:46 PM
    What can I do to get to the bottom of this?
    Originally posted by bananabread_
    Are you certain it was the Bank who originally rang your partner?

"Unfair" (there is really no such thing since 2009) overdraft charges are not just refunded without a complaint/request being made by the customer. So it sounds very unlikely that they would simply send out a cheque. Why would they send a cheque anyhow? If it's her bank then the amount would surely have simply been credited to her account..

The fact that the Bank can't find any record of this call or cheque would suggest she was called by some scammer, though I have no idea why they would suggest a cheque was on the way.

Tread very carefully if you or your partner receives a follow-up call from this "bank", especially if they request Bank account details for "verification". Never divulge such details.
    • bananabread_
    • By bananabread_ 4th Dec 17, 3:18 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    bananabread_
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:18 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:18 PM
    Maybe "unfair" was the wrong word. They just rang her out of the blue and said she was due a refund on previous overdraft charges, which I assumed was due to them changing their overdraft fee terms and conditions recently (I saw it in the news). They didn't ask for any details or passwords at all. Just asked if she'd received a cheque, confirmed the amount to her over the phone which she was unaware of, then stated they'd have another one sent out the same day. Didn't ask for address, account number or anything.

Not sure how it could have been a scam call if they didn't ask/get any details from her?
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 4th Dec 17, 3:31 PM
    • 18,896 Posts
    • 10,119 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:31 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:31 PM

Not sure how it could have been a scam call if they didn't ask/get any details from her?
    As I said, beware a "follow up" call from the scammer..

It's obviously not the Bank.

If it were her bank there would be no need of a cheque.

Don't let the offer of "free money" blind you..
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 4th Dec 17, 3:37 PM
    • 2,716 Posts
    • 1,951 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:37 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:37 PM
    Agreed......could just be stage 1 of an attempted scam. Did they ask her to confirm address or anything?

I would be keeping a close eye on my credit file.
    • bananabread_
    • By bananabread_ 4th Dec 17, 4:31 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    bananabread_
    • 4th Dec 17, 4:31 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 4:31 PM
    Just got home from work and lo and behold, a letter from Lloyds complete with cheque. Had a different contact number on the letter than the normal Lloyds customer support line so gave that a call. They said the refunds are part of an ongoing scheme to refund customers charged unfairly following the changes to overdraft charges and fees over the last few years.

They didn't ask for any details and we didn't hand any over at all so I assume if the cheque clears it can't be a scam right? I don't know how they'd be scamming us at this point. I guess we'll know when I try and pay the cheque in tomorrow.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 4th Dec 17, 4:33 PM
    • 89,873 Posts
    • 56,545 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 4th Dec 17, 4:33 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 4:33 PM
    well, at least you know its not a scam.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 4th Dec 17, 5:14 PM
    • 18,896 Posts
    • 10,119 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 4th Dec 17, 5:14 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 5:14 PM
    I guess we'll know when I try and pay the cheque in tomorrow.
    Odd that they didn't simply pay it straight into your partner's account. Cheques are usually only issued to people who are no longer customers.

I'm glad it turned out ok.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

222Posts Today

1,811Users online

Martin's Twitter