Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ghost3h
    • By ghost3h 4th Dec 17, 1:55 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ghost3h
    Project Planning / Best use of space
    • 4th Dec 17, 1:55 PM
    Project Planning / Best use of space 4th Dec 17 at 1:55 PM
    Hi,

I've just bought a house that has had the loft converted, but it needs a new roof. My neighbor had their roof replaced and the addition of 2 dorms added. They also converted a small bedroom into staircase.

When I asked about theirs, they had said they "got someone who had advised on the best use of the space and design"

Unfortunately they have went on holiday for 3 weeks, so I cannot ask them about this. My question is, what would you call this type of person/trade, so I can try and find someone similar?

Thanks
Page 1
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 4th Dec 17, 2:12 PM
    • 24,085 Posts
    • 66,698 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 4th Dec 17, 2:12 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 2:12 PM
    An architect or a really good builder who’s had lots of experience.

If they are your neighbours and that’s what you want, then why not simply copy it?

How old is your loft conversion?
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • ghost3h
    • By ghost3h 4th Dec 17, 2:54 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ghost3h
    • 4th Dec 17, 2:54 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 2:54 PM
    I do plan on simply copying what they have done, but I'm not sure if they still have the design plans for it etc. I'm assuming I would need a detailed plan for the builds to work to?

I think its only a few years old?
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 4th Dec 17, 3:01 PM
    • 24,085 Posts
    • 66,698 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:01 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:01 PM
    It would be worth checking if they do first.

You don't need someone with the imagination either if the person can see their house, just the drawing capability.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 4th Dec 17, 3:26 PM
    • 30,836 Posts
    • 18,437 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:26 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:26 PM
    Check the local planning portal even if permitted development there might be plans

I know there were for one development near us where they put a full width dormer across the back of their house up to the roof line and a couple of velux on the front elevation

Added loads of extra space.

if next door were happy with their build that gives you something to start from.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,248Posts Today

6,093Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin