Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ceh209
    • By ceh209 4th Dec 17, 1:15 PM
    • 705Posts
    • 472Thanks
    ceh209
    Tesco credit cards being reissued
    • 4th Dec 17, 1:15 PM
    Tesco credit cards being reissued 4th Dec 17 at 1:15 PM
    My husband's just had a text saying due to fraud all Tesco credit cards are being reissued (might not have said all, but certainly said not just his).

Anyone else had this? It says you won't be able to use your card for 9-11 days. Not a problem for us but could be for some people.

He said it's come from the usual number they send one-time passcodes on, and doesn't have a phone number to call them or anything, so looks legit.
    Excuse any mis-spelt replies, there's probably a cat sat on the keyboard
Page 1
    • bengutt
    • By bengutt 4th Dec 17, 1:20 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    bengutt
    • 4th Dec 17, 1:20 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 1:20 PM
    Glad it's not just me!

It looks legit, as on their website (https://yourcommunity.tescobank.com/t5/News/A-message-to-our-Credit-Card-customers/td-p/15575) is the same message.
    • sjb76
    • By sjb76 4th Dec 17, 1:21 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    sjb76
    • 4th Dec 17, 1:21 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 1:21 PM
    Someone else just posted the same. Personally i'd call them.
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 4th Dec 17, 3:16 PM
    • 3,103 Posts
    • 2,084 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:16 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:16 PM
    This isn't the first time it's happened: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/cards/2016/02/credit-cards-cancelled-after-mystery-online-shopping-data-breach.

And in a separate incident, its current account customers were affected by similar issue: https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/nov/06/tesco-bank-blocks-some-customers-cards-suspicious-activity-detected.
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 4th Dec 17, 3:32 PM
    • 728 Posts
    • 768 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:32 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:32 PM
    I've got a clubcard credit card and I've not heard anything - there's no message when logging into Tesco bank online either.
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 4th Dec 17, 3:58 PM
    • 4,276 Posts
    • 1,315 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:58 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:58 PM
    Apparently the breach was on a major mail order bride website.
    He's better using a Forex free card like Clarity for such transactions.
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 4th Dec 17, 5:23 PM
    • 1,134 Posts
    • 843 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 4th Dec 17, 5:23 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 5:23 PM
    We’ve got three cards between us and had no messages.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • eschaton
    • By eschaton 4th Dec 17, 6:42 PM
    • 1,580 Posts
    • 1,282 Thanks
    eschaton
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:42 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:42 PM
    No message here either.
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 4th Dec 17, 7:21 PM
    • 1,134 Posts
    • 843 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:21 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:21 PM
    Mr McChambers will be along soon to tell how we should not be charged interest for any days we are unable to use our cards and, of course, receive £250 in compensation.
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 4th Dec 17, 8:07 PM
    • 18,329 Posts
    • 199,718 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    No message here, long time customer.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 5th Dec 17, 6:58 AM
    • 2,080 Posts
    • 954 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    nothing here either, and card paid for food shopping yesterday, so I dont think they have reissued it. Plus I ordered a bunch of xmas presents with it last night as well.
    • tastyhog
    • By tastyhog 5th Dec 17, 7:02 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    tastyhog
    seems like a convenient time to do it, are they trying to limit their debt exposure during the xmas run up?

what possible reason could there be to cancel cards and then take 10 days to send out a replacement?
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 5th Dec 17, 7:10 PM
    • 3,278 Posts
    • 841 Thanks
    Anthorn
    Nada. But my Tesco Bank c/c is a BT card. All I've received from Tesco Bank was by post which was advice about a revision of the T&Cs of the Internet Saver and instant Access Savings Account. That was dated October 2017.
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 6th Dec 17, 12:01 PM
    • 2,080 Posts
    • 954 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    seems like a convenient time to do it, are they trying to limit their debt exposure during the xmas run up?

what possible reason could there be to cancel cards and then take 10 days to send out a replacement?
    Originally posted by tastyhog
    yeah now you explained this I agree, they disabling cards for up to 10 days in the busiest shopping period of the year, very weird.

Instead it would be better if they sent the new cards first and then had the customer disable the old card upon its arrival but this is enforced prevention of using the card.
    • pinkzebra
    • By pinkzebra 6th Dec 17, 12:37 PM
    • 365 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    pinkzebra
    I have had a text, and they have cancelled my card with immediate effect. I have only used it with 'normal' high street retailers and amazon, so not sure where the problem is - but I have phoned Tesco and they said it affects a large amount of customers.
    • Dandytf
    • By Dandytf 6th Dec 17, 5:43 PM
    • 925 Posts
    • 351 Thanks
    Dandytf
    Only some Tesco cc’s are being cancelled.
    I enjoyed a sandwich today via contactless Tesco cc.
    sc dmp 2012 13k

Jan 2018 8759 paid. 60% ish...
    • eco_warrior
    • By eco_warrior 6th Dec 17, 8:41 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    eco_warrior
    Some bizarre comments on here, quite uninformed really.

Banks make money on every transaction so they more customers spend the better. The “exposure” is already there and measured.

Also all banks will do similar if they believe accounts have been compromised.

10 days for new card ain’t great all the same but not entirely unique to Tesco.

The timing is particularly bad but hardly delibertate.
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 6th Dec 17, 8:49 PM
    • 1,134 Posts
    • 843 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    I’m guessing it’s only cards that have been used for online services that are at risk. When I first got my card, I tried to use it to buy something from currys. When I realised that I’d have to go through the faff of ‘verified by someone or other’ I used my Barclaycard instead. So.....I can’t be bothered using it to shop online.
    • ceh209
    • By ceh209 11th Dec 17, 5:14 PM
    • 705 Posts
    • 472 Thanks
    ceh209
    Update here, the replacement card arrive on the 9th, so 5 days rather than the expected 9-11 days.
    Excuse any mis-spelt replies, there's probably a cat sat on the keyboard
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

599Posts Today

4,298Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @faisalislam: Normalisation of words ?traitor/treachery? to mean ?people who disagree with my belief?... Not entirely sure how political?

• RT @bbclaurak: Thanks Martin - we know we can?t please all the people all the time (stands by for grief) but try hard to show how it actual?

• Morning. I'm on my way to my last @GMB 7:40 deals of the week of 2017. This week including gift card warning, free? https://t.co/2dcNviXxsN

• Follow Martin