Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Philshep
    • By Philshep 4th Dec 17, 1:04 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Philshep
    What do do with regulart surplus monthly income
    • 4th Dec 17, 1:04 PM
    What do do with regulart surplus monthly income 4th Dec 17 at 1:04 PM
    Hi MSE,
    I am 53 and have been in a stable position (given the current employment market) for some years now. I find I have a percentage of my monthly income available for future use but I am not sure what is the best option. I have 9 years left on my mortgage and I have a private pension & I am enrolled in the work place pension scheme.
    Which would be better for me financially:
    Use the surplus income to reduce the term of my existing mortgage or invest in to my pension instead?
    Is there a 3rd option?

Any good advise would be welcome.

Thanks in advance

Phil
    Last edited by Philshep; 04-12-2017 at 1:05 PM. Reason: added a thank you
Page 1
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 4th Dec 17, 1:18 PM
    • 5,906 Posts
    • 5,870 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 4th Dec 17, 1:18 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 1:18 PM
    Which would be better for me financially:
    Use the surplus income to reduce the term of my existing mortgage or invest in to my pension instead?
    Is there a 3rd option?
    Originally posted by Philshep
    There are substantially more than two options here, depending on a range of factors, including the level of your (and employer's) contributions to your pension schemes, the terms of those schemes, when you might want access to the money, what other reserves you have, and the interest rate on your mortgage.

If the latter is very low then there may be little incentive to pay it off early, and if the pension money isn't particularly easily accessible (or is best left until later) then you may wish to simply save money instead (for easy access), or invest it (for longer term growth without pension constraints).
    • Peelerfart
    • By Peelerfart 4th Dec 17, 9:15 PM
    • 1,837 Posts
    • 1,618 Thanks
    Peelerfart
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:15 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:15 PM
    Another thought,you're 53, have you a burning desire to retire and see the world,or are you happy rolling on?
    Space available for rent
    • atush
    • By atush 4th Dec 17, 10:40 PM
    • 16,386 Posts
    • 10,139 Thanks
    atush
    • 4th Dec 17, 10:40 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 10:40 PM
    Basically, do you have a large emergency cash pot? When do you plan to retire? Any investments outside of pensions? mtg rate? Spouse? Their pension provision?

If you have enough cash, then increasing your pension and S&S isas would be worth a look.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

210Posts Today

1,691Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin