Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 4th Dec 17, 1:01 PM
    • 1,690Posts
    • 2,993Thanks
    SamsReturn
    Do you think you could pass a driving test ?
    • 4th Dec 17, 1:01 PM
    Do you think you could pass a driving test ? 4th Dec 17 at 1:01 PM
    If you had to take your driving test again, today, do you think you'd pass it ?
    The driving test will change from Monday 4 December 2017 to include following directions from a sat nav and testing different manoeuvres.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/driving-test-changes-4-december-2017

I don't think i'd pass. I was watching the girl on Bbc Breakfast doing a 'pretend test' (she failed), and you need to know what all the switches & buttons on the dash are for, i can never remember some of the ones i never need to use. Then another change is, you have to follow instructions from the SatNav. I haven't got one. My car is a 05 reg, so it's not old, but hasn't a factory fitted Sat, and i only ever drive local, so i've never bothered to get one.
    I think i feel sorry for learners today.
Page 3
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 5th Dec 17, 10:05 PM
    • 472 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    They are also incorporating parallel parking, I believe.

That should be fun!
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    Parallel parking was on both my tests, 12 and 16 years ago.
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 6th Dec 17, 11:26 AM
    • 4,727 Posts
    • 7,511 Thanks
    Gavin83
    It is a skill that all drivers should be using on a regular basis to reverse into parking spaces or private driveways.
    Originally posted by Nick_C
    I agree with this but then again I don't see why they didn't just make you park the car. It seems they're removing 'reversing round a corner' and replacing it with parking in a car park space which I think is a sensible move.
    • kettymerry34
    • By kettymerry34 6th Dec 17, 11:30 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    kettymerry34
    Thanks for info, I am afraid, I wont, it looks harder :S
    Keep rolling rocking!
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 6th Dec 17, 12:00 PM
    • 3,144 Posts
    • 4,176 Thanks
    Nick_C
    I agree with this but then again I don't see why they didn't just make you park the car. It seems they're removing 'reversing round a corner' and replacing it with parking in a car park space which I think is a sensible move.
    Originally posted by Gavin83
    But there aren't many of this type of parking space on the public highway so I suspect many people won't have this challenge.

Of the three possible manoeuvres that you could be tested on, I always found this one the most difficult.
    • AubreyMac
    • By AubreyMac 6th Dec 17, 12:13 PM
    • 1,224 Posts
    • 2,845 Thanks
    AubreyMac
    Parking in a car park space or parallel parking comes with experience really. I have found that I 'learn' to do this again with each new car as I get more use to judging it's size and space. I do live in London though where bumper-to-bumper driving/parking is very much the norm.

With parallel parking, although I have never touched another car when getting in/out of small spaces I do ALWAYS lower my wing mirror to see the kerb.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,725Posts Today

6,873Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin