Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 4th Dec 17, 1:01 PM
    • 1,667Posts
    • 2,948Thanks
    SamsReturn
    Do you think you could pass a driving test ?
    • 4th Dec 17, 1:01 PM
    Do you think you could pass a driving test ? 4th Dec 17 at 1:01 PM
    If you had to take your driving test again, today, do you think you'd pass it ?
    The driving test will change from Monday 4 December 2017 to include following directions from a sat nav and testing different manoeuvres.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/driving-test-changes-4-december-2017

I don't think i'd pass. I was watching the girl on Bbc Breakfast doing a 'pretend test' (she failed), and you need to know what all the switches & buttons on the dash are for, i can never remember some of the ones i never need to use. Then another change is, you have to follow instructions from the SatNav. I haven't got one. My car is a 05 reg, so it's not old, but hasn't a factory fitted Sat, and i only ever drive local, so i've never bothered to get one.
    I think i feel sorry for learners today.
Page 1
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 4th Dec 17, 2:00 PM
    • 3,605 Posts
    • 7,948 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 4th Dec 17, 2:00 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 2:00 PM
    I have a satnav which I've used twice. It's not difficult to follow, no more difficult than the examiner telling you. Something I've read suggests that it doesn't matter if you don't follow it as long as you get where you're going.

I do know what all the switches on the dashboard of my car do, but I'd probably have to revise the theory part.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 4th Dec 17, 2:36 PM
    • 30,999 Posts
    • 114,227 Thanks
    Pyxis
    • 4th Dec 17, 2:36 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 2:36 PM
    I think it's daft that they've dropped needing to do a three-point turn.

I mean, you do need to do them sometimes, or else you might have to do a hell of a detour!

Reminds me of someone on the telly years ago who said they could only go to places via routes that didn't involve turning right!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • bap98189
    • By bap98189 4th Dec 17, 3:43 PM
    • 2,563 Posts
    • 4,207 Thanks
    bap98189
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:43 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:43 PM

I mean, you do need to do them sometimes, or else you might have to do a hell of a detour!

Reminds me of someone on the telly years ago who said they could only go to places via routes that didn't involve turning right!
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    The 3-point turn was by far the easiest manoeuvre though. As long as you remembered to put the handbrake on each time, it wasn't challenging. The ones they have replaced it with are far more difficult.
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 4th Dec 17, 3:51 PM
    • 1,264 Posts
    • 2,657 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:51 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:51 PM

I actually used to know someone some years back who couldn't turn either left or right. Very strange I thought.
    The 3-point turn was by far the easiest manoeuvre though. As long as you remembered to put the handbrake on each time, it wasn't challenging. The ones they have replaced it with are far more difficult.
    Originally posted by bap98189
    And all these years I thought you only had to put the handbrake on once if you wanted to end up facing the other way!
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 4th Dec 17, 4:02 PM
    • 60,947 Posts
    • 356,011 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 4th Dec 17, 4:02 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 4:02 PM
    Definitely not. I could go through with flying colours on all/any driving bits ...but I've never even SEEN a sat nav, never mind used one. Wouldn't know how to turn one on or which bits to poke! I think if it spoke I'd jump and hit a lamppost from that "SURPRISE!!" moment

As for switches on my dashboard .... no idea, only had the car 7 years, so never needed to even think about what they do or if I'd need them.

All I want is to be able to turn wipers&water on/off, turn lights on/off, turn the radio on/off, turn the heater on/off, hazard warning lights on/off (used 1x a year on average). Anything else doesn't concern me.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 04-12-2017 at 4:04 PM.
    • Sad. Sack
    • By Sad. Sack 4th Dec 17, 4:59 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 169 Thanks
    Sad. Sack
    • 4th Dec 17, 4:59 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 4:59 PM
    I could do it with my eyes shut
    I like roast potatoes, i do.
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 4th Dec 17, 5:30 PM
    • 1,264 Posts
    • 2,657 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    • 4th Dec 17, 5:30 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 5:30 PM
    I could do it with my eyes shut
    Originally posted by Sad. Sack
    Ah! So you're the bloke I was following the other night!
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 4th Dec 17, 5:36 PM
    • 1,264 Posts
    • 2,657 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    • 4th Dec 17, 5:36 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 5:36 PM
    Definitely not. I could go through with flying colours on all/any driving bits ...but I've never even SEEN a sat nav, never mind used one. Wouldn't know how to turn one on or which bits to poke! I think if it spoke I'd jump and hit a lamppost from that "SURPRISE!!" moment

As for switches on my dashboard .... no idea, only had the car 7 years, so never needed to even think about what they do or if I'd need them.

All I want is to be able to turn wipers&water on/off, turn lights on/off, turn the radio on/off, turn the heater on/off, hazard warning lights on/off (used 1x a year on average). Anything else doesn't concern me.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Not being snarky, or picking you out, but I wonder how many of us really could.
    There's a good case for a driving assessment every few years I reckon.
    For everyone who drives.
    I hate the idea of yet more rules, but some of the driving you see.
    • mark1959
    • By mark1959 4th Dec 17, 7:21 PM
    • 255 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    mark1959
    No.
    Do they still ask you the stopping distance at, say, 30mph? And is the answer in metres or yards these days? I could never remember them just in yards a good few years ago but it didn't matter as I never got asked. [and you didn't need to get every question right anyway].
    BTW, what's a sat nav?
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 4th Dec 17, 7:49 PM
    • 12,980 Posts
    • 49,365 Thanks
    joansgirl
    No way, I'm rubbish.

Never used a sat nav...I think I know what the knobs and buttons on the dash are for although I do tend to confuse screenwash/wipe with flashing me headlights. People think I am rude and never give way but I have a very clean windscreen
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...

Finito
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 4th Dec 17, 10:44 PM
    • 431 Posts
    • 867 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    I only passed the second of my tests 12 years ago so I expect I'd pass. Obviously you'd prepare yourself if you weren't used to a satnav but I do wonder what all the buttons and switches are that people claim not to use.
    • JIL
    • By JIL 4th Dec 17, 11:46 PM
    • 2,788 Posts
    • 18,728 Thanks
    JIL
    I could not pass my test tomorrow, but if I could have two hours of lessons to brush up on what I need to know, then I am confident that I should pass.
    • OldMotherTucker
    • By OldMotherTucker 5th Dec 17, 12:01 AM
    • 7,275 Posts
    • 16,154 Thanks
    OldMotherTucker
    LOL _ I've taught 4 kids to drive in the last 7 years and they all passed with flying colours. I also learnt a whole new way of driving myself in the last year , having moved from Cornwall to Hants.

My Satnav got stolen a few weeks ago and I'm surprised how much I relied on it! It made me lazy!!
    Should have joined Borrowmydoggy.com
    • Hedgehog99
    • By Hedgehog99 5th Dec 17, 12:18 AM
    • 1,395 Posts
    • 2,885 Thanks
    Hedgehog99
    It's good that they've decided to test driving with a sat nav. I would assume most young drivers qualifying will want to use one and it'd be good for them to learn they still need to use their own initiative and not just follow it blindly down a footpath or busway because it said so (or HGVs down impossible routes). Young learner drivers have probably been used to sat navs having seen their parents use one.

They'll probably need to introduce a "driving without a sat nav" element in a few years - how to get home if your sat nav fails! Mind you, when mine's decided not to work, I've found road signs confusing - the series of signs coming up to a roundabout that give main and local routes - local knowledge from the person you're visiting is invaluable ("follow the signs for....") otherwise I find they suddenly miss of the town name you've been following for the past few junctions.

If I know a new journey includes a complicated junction, I drive it virtually in google street map, looking for signs, lanes and landmarks - when I get there for real, I'm already familiar with it.

Maybe they can omit the satnav element from older drivers' driving assessments if they have never used one and never want to?
    • AubreyMac
    • By AubreyMac 5th Dec 17, 1:26 AM
    • 1,212 Posts
    • 2,815 Thanks
    AubreyMac
    How can anyone NOT follow a sat nav though? I've always had one and never owned a car without one. If anything, I think sat nav makes people not use their common sense and instinct much. I've seen many signs around countryside that says 'do not follow your sat nav from this point' or 'sat nav error' or something similar. I'm not gona lie - I once went the wrong way in a one way street because the satnav directed me there.

As for all the dashboard stuff I would not have a clue, isn't that just a memory test then? The other week a warning light came on my car that I didn't know what it was for so I googled it and it was just tyre pressure.

Most car related issues I learnt by googling and watching youtube.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 5th Dec 17, 5:56 AM
    • 30,999 Posts
    • 114,227 Thanks
    Pyxis

If I know a new journey includes a complicated junction, I drive it virtually in google street map, looking for signs, lanes and landmarks - when I get there for real, I'm already familiar with it.
    Originally posted by Hedgehog99
    That's exactly what I do, too!

It's so helpful!

I also use Google Earth for checking out car parks and one-way streets.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 5th Dec 17, 7:51 AM
    • 4,893 Posts
    • 16,301 Thanks
    indesisiv
    I don't see why I wouldn't pass.
    Whilst I don't have a sat nav built into the car I do have a sat nav. Fail to see why with a 3 second lesson people couldn't use it well enough to input an address and then follow the instructions.

Like others I am bemused as to what buttons people have that they don't know what they do... I know what all of them do in my car! Maybe my car just isn't complicated.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 5th Dec 17, 8:06 AM
    • 30,999 Posts
    • 114,227 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I don't see why I wouldn't pass.
    Whilst I don't have a sat nav built into the car I do have a sat nav. Fail to see why with a 3 second lesson people couldn't use it well enough to input an address and then follow the instructions.

Like others I am bemused as to what buttons people have that they don't know what they do... I know what all of them do in my car! Maybe my car just isn't complicated.
    Originally posted by indesisiv
    I must admit, I was a bit puzzled as to what buttons people might not know about.

Regarding use of the car, that is, as opposed to the finer niceties of the sound system, or suchlike.

There are a couple of buttons on my radio/CD thing that I've forgotten about, mainly because I don't need to change the radio frequency or the presets, or the roadworks announcing thing which irritated me to death.

Apart from that and the other stuff previously mentioned, there's opening the windows, central locking, jiggling the wing mirrors, resetting the mileage things, but what else is there?

Mind you, my car is now over 11 years old, so maybe there are new things I don't know about.

I tell you what I do wish I had....... wing mirror wipers. I can't stand it when rain makes it impossible to see in them. I can wind down my window and wipe the offside one, but can't reach the near side one.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 5th Dec 17, 8:10 AM
    • 4,893 Posts
    • 16,301 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Mind you, my car is now over 11 years old, so maybe there are new things I don't know about.

I tell you what I do wish I had....... wing mirror wipers. I can't stand it when rain makes it impossible to see in them. I can wind down my window and wipe the offside one, but can't reach the near side one.
    Can't say I have that problem, but like you my car is nearly 8 yrs old now, so maybe people have been adding random buttons??

The only thing that I am missing from my car buttons is a heated windscreen! I do envy the people who get in their cars press a button and 30 secs later put the wipers across and all the ice has melted!
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

222Posts Today

1,489Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin