Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JohnnyZee
    • By JohnnyZee 4th Dec 17, 12:40 PM
    • 32Posts
    • 2Thanks
    JohnnyZee
    BT Infinity price hike and BT Mobile
    • 4th Dec 17, 12:40 PM
    BT Infinity price hike and BT Mobile 4th Dec 17 at 12:40 PM
    Hi guys. My BT account is as follows:
    • BT Infinity 1 + Line rental: expires May 2018 (£28.99/month)
    • BT mobile: expires June 2018 (£5/month including £5 BT BB discount)

I got an email from BT on Friday stating that my Infinity price will go up by £2.50. I was told I can leave penalty free. I called BT today and I am told I can either recontract for 18 months at the current price (£28.99) or leave penalty free. However, I would have to honour my BT mobile deal until June 2018 and will lose the £5 discount (i.e. pay £10/month vs. current £5). That doesn't make sense to me given I signed up to BT mobile only because of the £5 discount.

Could you please let me know if anyone has been in this sitaution before? Surely I should be able to leave both the broadband and mobile contracts penatly free. Also, I am in the promotional period (first time customer) and yet I received an email about prices rising.

Thanks a lot.
Page 1
    • JohnnyZee
    • By JohnnyZee 4th Dec 17, 12:57 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    JohnnyZee
    • 4th Dec 17, 12:57 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 12:57 PM
    Thanks guys. I got my answer. See post by boatman in link below:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5740143&page=2#topofpage
    • macman
    • By macman 4th Dec 17, 7:10 PM
    • 41,406 Posts
    • 17,034 Thanks
    macman
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:10 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:10 PM
    They are separate contracts, and they're not fixed price. During the promo period, you will still get the discount, but the standard price can rise.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • boatman
    • By boatman 4th Dec 17, 8:51 PM
    • 3,525 Posts
    • 2,490 Thanks
    boatman
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:51 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:51 PM
    Thanks guys. I got my answer. See post by boatman in link below:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5740143&page=2#topofpage
    Originally posted by JohnnyZee
    As it says, you keep the £5 discount if you are leaving BT broadband because of the price rise. The trouble is most BT advisors don't know their own T&C's, you get the same problem with BT line rental saver, they say no refunds, when in fact you can get a refund if you are leaving because they are putting up the price..
    • phillw
    • By phillw 5th Dec 17, 1:20 PM
    • 1,025 Posts
    • 607 Thanks
    phillw
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:20 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:20 PM
    As it says, you keep the £5 discount if you are leaving BT broadband because of the price rise. The trouble is most BT advisors don't know their own T&C's, you get the same problem with BT line rental saver, they say no refunds, when in fact you can get a refund if you are leaving because they are putting up the price..
    Originally posted by boatman
    I spoke to an adviser today & I asked them to confirm both. She had to go and check but confirmed it would be the case.

At the end of the conversation she asked if I wished to go ahead and cease, which I had to explain that my new provider would be in touch as I didn't want her to cancel anything as otherwise they'd pass the openreach charge on to me. She had to go away and check again, when she came back she said to log it as a complaint instead.
    Last edited by phillw; 05-12-2017 at 1:24 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

232Posts Today

1,457Users online

Martin's Twitter