Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Luke
    • By MSE Luke 4th Dec 17, 12:38 PM
    • 253Posts
    • 63Thanks
    MSE Luke
    17 WOW
    MSE News: Co-op stores to sell food past its 'best before' date for 10p
    • 4th Dec 17, 12:38 PM
    17 WOW
    MSE News: Co-op stores to sell food past its 'best before' date for 10p 4th Dec 17 at 12:38 PM
    The East of England Co-op is to start selling food past its 'best before' date for 10p...
    Read the full story:
    'Co-op stores to sell food past its 'best before' date for 10p'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 04-12-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Page 1
    • PLRFD
    • By PLRFD 4th Dec 17, 1:19 PM
    • 604 Posts
    • 601 Thanks
    PLRFD
    • 4th Dec 17, 1:19 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 1:19 PM
    It's a great idea hope it rolls out oop norf.
    • haras_nosirrah
    • By haras_nosirrah 4th Dec 17, 2:15 PM
    • 1,322 Posts
    • 2,468 Thanks
    haras_nosirrah
    • 4th Dec 17, 2:15 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 2:15 PM
    bring it down south please - fantastic idea. I never go by best before dates as the food is perfectly fine
    • firefox1956
    • By firefox1956 4th Dec 17, 3:12 PM
    • 1,382 Posts
    • 791 Thanks
    firefox1956
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:12 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:12 PM
    Probably cause a stampede................
    • bonus2010
    • By bonus2010 4th Dec 17, 3:32 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    bonus2010
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:32 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:32 PM
    Sounds a great idea to give all their customers an opportunity of buying discounted food instead of what is practiced by other supermarkets where they bypass their poorer regular customers to give it to foodbank businesses.
    • ViolaLass
    • By ViolaLass 4th Dec 17, 4:49 PM
    • 5,148 Posts
    • 7,145 Thanks
    ViolaLass
    • 4th Dec 17, 4:49 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 4:49 PM
    Sounds a great idea to give all their customers an opportunity of buying discounted food instead of what is practiced by other supermarkets where they bypass their poorer regular customers to give it to foodbank businesses.
    Originally posted by bonus2010
    You sure it goes to foodbanks and isn't just thrown away? The article says Co-op says it can't go to the foodbank once the 'best before' has been passed as they won't accept it.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 4th Dec 17, 5:06 PM
    • 24,205 Posts
    • 50,866 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 4th Dec 17, 5:06 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 5:06 PM
    Well this would have been the cherry on the cake for my move back to Essex - but unfortunately the 2 nearest branches to me really will be a good walk away to the scrag end of town. I'd appreciate the exercise, just don't want to risk life and limb in the bargain-snagging process
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • bonus2010
    • By bonus2010 4th Dec 17, 5:32 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    bonus2010
    • 4th Dec 17, 5:32 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 5:32 PM
    You sure it goes to foodbanks and isn't just thrown away? The article says Co-op says it can't go to the foodbank once the 'best before' has been passed as they won't accept it.
    Originally posted by ViolaLass
    I’m not aware of what the co-op’s policy is today with regards foodbanks but I did use to be a regular shopper with the co-op when they had a supermarket in my town before closing it down, then I found that they’d wait until the very last couple of hours before reducing items right down and often they’d put items down to 10p. So, I suppose you’d be right if they weren’t all bought they’d be thrown away, but making this policy could help those not about in the last couple of hours before shop closing. So, it might be that co-ops thinking on nearly out of date items differs from other supermarkets as the co-op is keener to have items on the shelf longer whereas other supermarkets are taking items off the shelves to give to and please foodbank businesses sooner.
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 4th Dec 17, 7:04 PM
    • 7,721 Posts
    • 7,999 Thanks
    pappa golf
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:04 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:04 PM
    this is NOT the CooP group , its east anglia coop , which from memory is not part of the national coop group
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 4th Dec 17, 7:19 PM
    • 4,684 Posts
    • 2,325 Thanks
    Consumerist
    Last week the WRAP charity (Waste and Resources Action Programme) unveiled new food labelling guidance it estimates could save shoppers £1 billion a year – including using best before dates instead of use by dates except where necessary for safety.
    Isn't this exactly the opposite of what would save shoppers money? I thought the idea was to encourage people to eat perfectly safe food and not throw it away just because it's past its best.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 4th Dec 17, 9:28 PM
    • 7,407 Posts
    • 13,601 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    We have a shop that sells out of date foods. Some foods are bad very out of date. Example, crisps. After 8 weeks, they aren't crisps, but sorts.

I hardly seen anyone in the shop after the opening weekend
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 5th Dec 17, 12:16 AM
    • 24,205 Posts
    • 50,866 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Interestingly I heard on the news earlier that the Trussell Trust refuses to accept and distribute out of date food, out of “respect” for their clients. I’m pretty sure those that cannot afford to eat properly would not take the same view.

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • redfox
    • By redfox 5th Dec 17, 6:56 AM
    • 12,506 Posts
    • 35,687 Thanks
    redfox
    Interestingly I heard on the news earlier that the Trussell Trust refuses to accept and distribute out of date food, out of “respect” for their clients.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    I would imagine that in today's litigious society it is because they may get sued if anybody became ill after eating such food. Very unlikely they would, I know, but I can see that they would leave themselves open to that scenario because some people will sue at the drop of a hat these days

Sad state of affairs really.
    Last edited by redfox; 05-12-2017 at 8:12 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• ben501
    • By ben501 5th Dec 17, 7:46 AM
    • 215 Posts
    • 304 Thanks
    ben501
    Isn't this exactly the opposite of what would save shoppers money? I thought the idea was to encourage people to eat perfectly safe food and not throw it away just because it's past its best.
    Originally posted by Consumerist
    I missed this first time around. It may well allow supermarkets an alternative for disposing of their 'out of date' produce, but for the millions of householders who don't know the difference between 'best before' and 'use by' it's going to make very little difference. It may even increase waste as where a company may previously have printed 'use by December 10th', they may, to cover themselves, shorten the date, so 'best before December 8th'.
    Another couple of million tons off to landfill then.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 5th Dec 17, 10:05 AM
    • 24,205 Posts
    • 50,866 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I would imagine that in today's litigious society it is because they may get sued if anybody became ill after eating such food. Very unlikely they would, I know, but I can see that they would leave themselves open to that scenario because some people will sue at the drop of a hat these days

Sad state of affairs really.
    Originally posted by redfox
    Can’t afford to eat, but can afford to sue. Crazy world we live in

• WorldTraveller
    • By WorldTraveller 5th Dec 17, 10:12 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    WorldTraveller
    The ironic thing is that our local Co-op often inadvertently sells out of date food anyway - on numerous occasions I've found items that are past their use by date (which is actually illegal to sell at any price) that have been missed and left on the shelf at full price. I once found some chocolates there that were a few months past their best before.
    • redfox
    • By redfox 5th Dec 17, 10:24 AM
    • 12,506 Posts
    • 35,687 Thanks
    redfox
    Can’t afford to eat, but can afford to sue. Crazy world we live in
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    it's called Legal Aid, or they'd use one of those wretched no win, no fee ambulance chaser companies who seem to harangue people to use them for anything.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• redfox
    • By redfox 5th Dec 17, 10:28 AM
    • 12,506 Posts
    • 35,687 Thanks
    redfox
    The ironic thing is that our local Co-op often inadvertently sells out of date food anyway - on numerous occasions I've found items that are past their use by date (which is actually illegal to sell at any price) that have been missed and left on the shelf at full price.
    Originally posted by WorldTraveller
    on the very few occasions I have used the Co-op I have found the same. They seem to be very lax about checking the shelves.

• VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 5th Dec 17, 11:46 AM
    • 24,205 Posts
    • 50,866 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    on the very few occasions I have used the Co-op I have found the same. They seem to be very lax about checking the shelves.
    Originally posted by redfox
    I very occasionally pop into my local late in the evening when I am feeling greedy and the other supermarkets are closed. I've had some brilliant orange stickered bargains on fresh foods, nothing quiite as low as 10p though.

• jon81uk
    • By jon81uk 8th Dec 17, 4:05 PM
    • 778 Posts
    • 503 Thanks
    jon81uk
    We have a shop that sells out of date foods. Some foods are bad very out of date. Example, crisps. After 8 weeks, they aren't crisps, but sorts.
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    Yep I had a pack of Sunbites that I found in the back of my cupboard this week, only dated 16/11/17, so I thought they should be OK three weeks after the date, but nope they were all soft and nasty.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

334Posts Today

2,304Users online

Martin's Twitter