Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AidyBuzz
    • By AidyBuzz 4th Dec 17, 12:18 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    AidyBuzz
    Bathroom Light Cord Switch end fell out (looks charred?)
    • 4th Dec 17, 12:18 PM
    Bathroom Light Cord Switch end fell out (looks charred?) 4th Dec 17 at 12:18 PM
    Hi,

My Nan found the bathroom light string cord on the floor, looks to me like the end that connected into the ceiling socket is burnt.

Apparently the bulb in the bathroom used to be some kind of heat lamp and has been recently changed to a regular bulb (well old style bulb i think, not a new energy saving style bulb)

Does anyone know what could have caused this? Is the changing of the bulb related? Is this an electrics problem so we'll need an electrician? Or is it more for a handyman of some kind?

Thanks for reading and any thoughts you might be able to pass on!
    Adrian.
Page 1
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 4th Dec 17, 12:44 PM
    • 871 Posts
    • 430 Thanks
    Ganga
    • 4th Dec 17, 12:44 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 12:44 PM
    Hi,

My Nan found the bathroom light string cord on the floor, looks to me like the end that connected into the ceiling socket is burnt.

Apparently the bulb in the bathroom used to be some kind of heat lamp and has been recently changed to a regular bulb (well old style bulb i think, not a new energy saving style bulb)

Does anyone know what could have caused this? Is the changing of the bulb related? Is this an electrics problem so we'll need an electrician? Or is it more for a handyman of some kind?

Thanks for reading and any thoughts you might be able to pass on!
    Adrian.
    Originally posted by AidyBuzz
    Does the cord join the the cord that comes out of the ceiling switch with a plastic coupling or does the cord go into the ceiling switch? Quite often the cord is burnt with a match then nipped with the fingers to give it a hard narrow end to thread through the hole in the switch/coupling.
    If the cord goes into the ceiling switch,switch the electric off and unscrew the ceiling swith cover to expose the switch,you can then examine it for damage/burning or maybe the cord has just come out and requires re-fitting.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • AidyBuzz
    • By AidyBuzz 4th Dec 17, 12:55 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AidyBuzz
    • 4th Dec 17, 12:55 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 12:55 PM
    The cord goes into a plastic coupling so perhaps that's it! I guess the fact that the bulb being used changed from a heat bulb to regular bulb is no cause for concern? Probably isn't related to the cord falling out i mean?

Thanks! Adrian.
    • firefox1956
    • By firefox1956 4th Dec 17, 1:22 PM
    • 1,382 Posts
    • 791 Thanks
    firefox1956
    • 4th Dec 17, 1:22 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 1:22 PM
    Have a look here for an example.
    https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p44781?table=no
    You can see a small plastic thing about 6 inches from the ceiling rose.
    This is where you can replace the long pull cord.
    If the cord is broken / burnt where it come out of the ceiling rose then you are up for a new ceiling rose.
    HTH
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 4th Dec 17, 4:49 PM
    • 871 Posts
    • 430 Thanks
    Ganga
    • 4th Dec 17, 4:49 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 4:49 PM
    The cord goes into a plastic coupling so perhaps that's it! I guess the fact that the bulb being used changed from a heat bulb to regular bulb is no cause for concern? Probably isn't related to the cord falling out i mean?

Thanks! Adrian.
    Originally posted by AidyBuzz
    Changing to a regular bulb from a heat type bulb should be certainly better for your electric bill
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 4th Dec 17, 7:16 PM
    • 9,618 Posts
    • 10,778 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:16 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:16 PM
    It might be worth having a good look at both the light fitting and the pull switch (or if you're not confident doing this, getting someone in to check them out).

Many light fittings are designed to be used with incandescent bulbs up to either 60w or 100w and the heat lamp could well have been 200w or 250w, something that could have damaged the fitting.
    If the pull switch was poor quality or the wiring a bit loose, it could have been getting hot or sparking, hence the cord getting charred and dropping out.
    • AidyBuzz
    • By AidyBuzz 5th Dec 17, 9:24 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AidyBuzz
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:24 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:24 AM
    Thanks! All this is enough to convince me that starting with an electrician to come and check it out is the way to go!
    • Will2208
    • By Will2208 5th Dec 17, 12:17 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Will2208
    • 5th Dec 17, 12:17 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 12:17 PM
    My bathroom pullcord recently stopped working. I pulled down it but then it didn't pull pack up. I tried fixing it but it was a waste of time so i got a complete new pull cord and ceiling switch from Wilko's for a couple of quid.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

156Posts Today

1,950Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin