Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • findingtaxtaxing
    • By findingtaxtaxing 4th Dec 17, 12:16 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    findingtaxtaxing
    Taxing an annuity (inherited)
    • 4th Dec 17, 12:16 PM
    Taxing an annuity (inherited) 4th Dec 17 at 12:16 PM
    Hi, It's my first time posting - I'm stuck and I'm hoping someone with more experience can help. I've inherited an annuity which will be paid monthly into my account for another couple of years. This annuity was included as a lump sum in the inheritance tax calculation and I paid 40% inheritance tax on it. I'm now being told that I also have to pay normal 20% PAYE tax on it too. That means 60% tax...that can't be right - can it? The solicitor said it is but I've lost confidence in them, mostly because it doesn't sound logical. Given the per hour charges I'm faced with I don't want to push back unless I can find out more. Does 60% tax on an inherited annuity sound right to you? Thanks :-)
Page 1
    • ermine
    • By ermine 4th Dec 17, 12:37 PM
    • 623 Posts
    • 924 Thanks
    ermine
    • 4th Dec 17, 12:37 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 12:37 PM
    That means 60% tax...that can't be right - can it?
    Originally posted by findingtaxtaxing
    It can. An Annuity is an income, and therefore income tax is payable on it at your marginal tax rate.
    • Mark Jefferson
    • By Mark Jefferson 4th Dec 17, 12:39 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Mark Jefferson
    • 4th Dec 17, 12:39 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 12:39 PM
    The Government actually does a fairly good job of explaining this:

https://www.gov.uk/tax-on-pension-death-benefits

I'm not an expert, but although not unheard of it's unusual to IHT to pay on an annuity. This is typically because payment to beneficiaries is regarded as 'discretionary'. It would be interesting to ask your solicitor why it wasn't regarded as discretionary in this instance.

Unfortunately, there may be PAYE tax to pay depending on when the individual died. If they died after 75, you'll have to pay income tax on the annuity unfortunately. If the original annuitant died pre-75, it's usually income tax free.
    This post provides guidance only. It does not constitute financial advice
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 4th Dec 17, 1:05 PM
    • 89,873 Posts
    • 56,546 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 4th Dec 17, 1:05 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 1:05 PM
    This annuity was included as a lump sum in the inheritance tax calculation and I paid 40% inheritance tax on it.
    What type of annuity is it?

You have posted in the pensions section, which would suggest a pension annuity, but those are not included in the estate and no IHT is chargeable. So, this would suggest it is a different type of annuity.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

520Posts Today

3,894Users online

Martin's Twitter