Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 4th Dec 17, 11:42 AM
    • 3,309Posts
    • 1,866Thanks
    cloud_dog
    Digital music option for elderly parent
    • 4th Dec 17, 11:42 AM
    Digital music option for elderly parent 4th Dec 17 at 11:42 AM
    Hi

So was hoping to pick peoples brains on what options there may be for an elderly parent.

Some background info:
    1. I've lost count the number of times I have explained how to use the DVD player (hopefully puts my conundrum in to some perspective).
    2. Her old music system, with multiple CD player has died.
    3. She enjoys putting a number of CDs in and randomly playing those CDs.
    4. She doesn't have a PC
    5. She doesn't have broadband
    6. No mobile phone
    7. Time moves on for us all and bending down to get CDs (for example) is not ideal for her (blood pressure considerations etc)

My home set up is with Squeezecentre on a NAS, so very comfortable with digital music etc.

I suppose my question is in two parts:
    1. How could I configure the digitised music to be available, i.e. burn them to a flash drive / Ipod (of some variety)?
    2. How could my mother control / select the music she wants to play

The provision of the music is probably of lesser a concern, or rather is only something to be considered in relation to how the music is controlled.

Or, falling that we try any buy a replacement centre with a multi-CD unit.

Any thoughts anyone?
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
Page 1
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 4th Dec 17, 11:45 AM
    • 1,978 Posts
    • 1,277 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 4th Dec 17, 11:45 AM
    • 4th Dec 17, 11:45 AM
    Or, falling that we try any buy a replacement centre with a multi-CD unit.
    Originally posted by cloud_dog
    It suits your parent - buy a replacement unit
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • googler
    • By googler 4th Dec 17, 11:53 AM
    • 14,473 Posts
    • 9,348 Thanks
    googler
    • 4th Dec 17, 11:53 AM
    • 4th Dec 17, 11:53 AM
    There'll be hundreds of CD changers on eBay, gumtree, schpock, or in your local cash converter/charity shop etc.

If this suits her, then get another. And put it on a shelf or unit so that she doesn't have to bend.

Or get the current one repaired. What's actually wrong with it? If it has died altogether, that usually indicates an issue with the power supply board, and can sometimes be rectified quite easily and cheaply.
    • Debbie Savard
    • By Debbie Savard 4th Dec 17, 12:16 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    Debbie Savard
    • 4th Dec 17, 12:16 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 12:16 PM
    >She doesn't have broadband<

Can this be installed? Then you'd have Amazon Echo to stream music, all under voice control.

Looking to the future with an elderly parent, broadband given you the option of services to check she's not fallen etc.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 4th Dec 17, 12:23 PM
    • 15,444 Posts
    • 38,794 Thanks
    elsien
    • 4th Dec 17, 12:23 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 12:23 PM
    >She doesn't have broadband<

Can this be installed? Then you'd have Amazon Echo to stream music, all under voice control.

Looking to the future with an elderly parent, broadband given you the option of services to check she's not fallen etc.
    Originally posted by Debbie Savard
    If OPs mum is anything like my grandparent, the answer would be a firm no. (We never eve managed to upgrade from cassettes to CDs)
    If mum is perfectly happy with her CD player, I'd just replace it. Some people really just don't want to get to grips with new technology, so if they can manage without and don't want to be persuaded, their choice should be respected.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • rmg1
    • By rmg1 4th Dec 17, 12:47 PM
    • 2,889 Posts
    • 737 Thanks
    rmg1
    • 4th Dec 17, 12:47 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 12:47 PM
    There'll be hundreds of CD changers on eBay, gumtree, schpock, or in your local cash converter/charity shop etc.
    Originally posted by googler
    SNIP

Couldn't agree with this more. I got myself a new unit for the princely sum of £20 from shpock when mine died. It's actually better than the one I had (this plays mp3 discs so I spent a nice few hours ripping a load of CDs and putting them onto new discs).

This one gives me around 600 tracks across 3 discs and I can set it up to play sequentially, random on one disc or random across all 3 discs.
    Flagellation, necrophilia and bestiality - Am I flogging a dead horse?

Any posts are my opinion and only that. Please read at your own risk.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 4th Dec 17, 2:42 PM
    • 3,132 Posts
    • 4,969 Thanks
    another casualty
    • 4th Dec 17, 2:42 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 2:42 PM
    If buying a replacement ( which seems like the best thing to do), try and get something as close to her current system as possible . Same make etc .
    • psychic teabag
    • By psychic teabag 4th Dec 17, 5:56 PM
    • 2,634 Posts
    • 1,550 Thanks
    psychic teabag
    • 4th Dec 17, 5:56 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 5:56 PM
    I do understand the view that some people don't like change. However, if she has already groked a multi-cd system, where she can choose tracks from across multiple CDs, is it a big step to go to an infinite-cd system, where all her CDs have (effectively) installed at once ? I think the real difficulty would be in finding a digital device with an interface she can understand.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 4th Dec 17, 6:05 PM
    • 7,780 Posts
    • 5,581 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:05 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:05 PM
    I've lost count the number of times I have explained how to use the DVD player (hopefully puts my conundrum in to some perspective).
    How could I configure the digitised music to be available, i.e. burn them to a flash drive / Ipod (of some variety)?
    If your mum can't cope with a DVD player, then... I think it's pretty optimistic to think that she'll be able to cope with a media streaming device.

I'd stick with playing her digitised music on a CD player. As above, you can get second-hand ones quite cheaply.
    • mac.d
    • By mac.d 4th Dec 17, 7:46 PM
    • 538 Posts
    • 414 Thanks
    mac.d
    Probably not that helpful, but my gran in her late-80s absolutely loved the MP3 player we bought her. She couldn't work it to play individual albums, but we just set it to random and she absolutely loved listing to it shuffle all her music :-)

Maybe buy her a hi-fi with a cd player, and usb slot. So if she wants to play any of her old CD's she can, but you can digitise them all and put them on a USB drive for random play. Something like this:

Panasonic SC-PM250BEBS DAB Micro Hi-Fi System - £71.99 @ Amazon
    (although I don't know if it does random play from the USB)
    • were
    • By were 4th Dec 17, 9:33 PM
    • 574 Posts
    • 342 Thanks
    were
    thought about something like this that is for sale for the partially sighted?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sonic-Memory-Player-Bluetooth-Speaker-Black-Yellow/dp/B01LF6G8IK/ref=pd_sbs_23_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=RFEZ7X EAN9RFDS1EGWN9#customerReviews
    • cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 4th Dec 17, 10:06 PM
    • 3,309 Posts
    • 1,866 Thanks
    cloud_dog
    Thank you everyone for your thoughts, ideas, suggestions.

There's never enough space to go in to the finer details of the situation but part of the issue (for me probably) is that the system lives in a nice wooden hi-fi unit, which happens to be sat behind her very heavy chair so she has so try and drag it out when she wants to play CDs etc. We've looked at other solutions (placement etc) and the only option is to 'relinquish' a piece of furniture so that things can be placed with easier access, i.e. the drinks trolley which hasn't been used in 20+ years

I liked the concept behind the Sonic USB Memory player. At the moment she's got 6 favourite CDs in there (sometimes they change) and she just turns it on and hits the random button so, something similar would be good.

Will probably end up getting her a replacement music centre, or perhaps I'll see if you can get CD caddies(???) for plugging in to a midi system or something.

I'll have to see if I can find the 'eject' button/thing now to get the CDs out, ho hum.

• cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 4th Dec 17, 10:42 PM
    • 3,309 Posts
    • 1,866 Thanks
    cloud_dog
    Found this on ebay.....

Thing I like about it is the remote control. I'd like to think that once I've put music on to a USB stick all she would need to do it to press the power button and then the random button.

The power button is in red, and I can probably colour the random button with some indelible (silver) pen.

Plus it's small (we can place more easily), allows a single CD to be played (if necessary), and it is not too expensive (£30) so, if I completely mess it up and it doesn't really give her what she needs I won't have wasted a huge amount on it.

• Hoseman
    • By Hoseman 5th Dec 17, 8:00 AM
    • 346 Posts
    • 173 Thanks
    Hoseman
    Is broadband plus Alexa worth considering?
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 5th Dec 17, 8:31 AM
    • 1,978 Posts
    • 1,277 Thanks
    Robin9
    [*]She doesn't have a PC[*]She doesn't have broadband[*]No mobile phone

OP's original post -
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • SeanDigiSave
    • By SeanDigiSave 5th Dec 17, 11:41 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    SeanDigiSave
    I don't know if this is possible BUT you may be able to get an AI assistant speaker, get Spotify on it, download a load of music at your house for offline play, then bring it round to your Mums. Look into that maybe?
    • SeanDigiSave
    • By SeanDigiSave 5th Dec 17, 11:42 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    SeanDigiSave
    Also, look at Doro Phones. The newer smartphones have My Doro Manager, where you can take control of the phone remotely and set things up for the user.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,971Posts Today

7,199Users online

Martin's Twitter