Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BOBS
    • By BOBS 4th Dec 17, 11:32 AM
    • 2,751Posts
    • 2,096Thanks
    BOBS
    Keeping head above water and on track.
    • 4th Dec 17, 11:32 AM
    Keeping head above water and on track. 4th Dec 17 at 11:32 AM
    Not really in a lot of debt - (few hundred on credit card which we try to clear monthly - mainly because I dont like using debit card for online purchases) and we try hard to be careful with spending, but my plan to save never stays on course. Probably closely related to the fact we have three growing teenagers.

Both of us work full time but on pretty much basic wage so approx £36k annual income., our mortgage is almost paid costing around £260 a month, so no large overheads.

I love on here how everyone has diaries and keeps track of spending and has nsd etc., but I feel as if I am constantly treading water to keep on top of it all. On paper we should have few hundred left at end of month after bills but every time we seem to have a pound or two left over something comes along to gobble it up.

Anyone else like this and can reassure me its just a case of biding time until they are a bit older and independent - mind you if University choices may soon come into the equation and that puts their independence off a bit longer and as for us .........
Page 1
    • WorldTraveller
    • By WorldTraveller 4th Dec 17, 12:03 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    WorldTraveller
    • 4th Dec 17, 12:03 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 12:03 PM
    Hi. Do your teenagers have a set allowance of what they can spend each month? Also, do any of them have part time jobs - probably not according to the news today, as Saturday jobs seem quite a rarity now. I have one teenager and two almost teenagers, I give my eldest an allowance and pay for her phone, luckily she doesn't go out much yet so not too expensive at the moment.
    • BOBS
    • By BOBS 4th Dec 17, 12:24 PM
    • 2,751 Posts
    • 2,096 Thanks
    BOBS
    • 4th Dec 17, 12:24 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 12:24 PM
    Hi. Do your teenagers have a set allowance of what they can spend each month? Also, do any of them have part time jobs - probably not according to the news today, as Saturday jobs seem quite a rarity now. I have one teenager and two almost teenagers, I give my eldest an allowance and pay for her phone, luckily she doesn't go out much yet so not too expensive at the moment.
    Originally posted by WorldTraveller
    Yes eldest has weekend waitressing job which keeps her going but we help run a small car to enable her to go to college course, although we get mileage allowance to help with fuel.

We pay for all phones on PAYG and they get £10 a week pocket money - plus extra for any special outings etc with school / clubs.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,540Posts Today

6,643Users online

Martin's Twitter