Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Swest100
    • By Swest100 4th Dec 17, 11:24 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Swest100
    New house costing a fortune to run
    • 4th Dec 17, 11:24 AM
    New house costing a fortune to run 4th Dec 17 at 11:24 AM
    I moved into a new rented house last month and it is costing a fortune to run. It's a 4 bed home and it is a listed building with single glazing so I expected it to cost more to run than a new house but not this much. It has no gas so heating is electric night storage heaters. I have 4 of the night storage heaters on thats all the heaters I have in the house and the house is still freezing. I put £40 on my electric key on Friday afternoon it now Monday morning and I have had to put another £40 on my key. £40 over 2 and a half days is madness. I have changed to the cheapest Tarrif but the way it's going it's costing me some weeks 100 in electric and I'm walking around the house in my coat because it's too cold to take it off. Any ideas on ways I can lower my bill. Obviously I can't change anything in the house that's a fixture or fitting because it is rented but I can't pay 400 quid a month just in electric either.
Page 1
    • ajbell
    • By ajbell 4th Dec 17, 11:30 AM
    • 916 Posts
    • 2,995 Thanks
    ajbell
    • 4th Dec 17, 11:30 AM
    • 4th Dec 17, 11:30 AM
    You need to state actual kWh used not money or no one can really help.
    4kWp, South facing, 16 x phono solar panels, Solis inverter, Lincolnshire.
    • Swest100
    • By Swest100 4th Dec 17, 11:46 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Swest100
    • 4th Dec 17, 11:46 AM
    • 4th Dec 17, 11:46 AM
    Ok sorry husband's away at work and I have no idea how to find this out . Am I looking on the key meter for how much I pay per kw or am I looking at the meter reading and seeing how much it's turning. Sorry to sound dim
    • ajbell
    • By ajbell 4th Dec 17, 12:01 PM
    • 916 Posts
    • 2,995 Thanks
    ajbell
    • 4th Dec 17, 12:01 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 12:01 PM
    If you are using storage heating then you should be on E7 tariff and only storing the heat during those cheap hours.
    4kWp, South facing, 16 x phono solar panels, Solis inverter, Lincolnshire.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 4th Dec 17, 1:01 PM
    • 27,109 Posts
    • 13,222 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 4th Dec 17, 1:01 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 1:01 PM
    I believe the largest storage heater is 3.4kW, if that was on full input it will take 23.8kWh in the 7 hours overnight cheap electricity; so with 4 heaters the maximum is 95.2kWh a day.

Now I don't know what you pay for off-peak E7 rate but at 7p/kWh that will be under £7 a day.

Are you sure that there isn't a debt on your meter that is being deducted?

In any case only 4 heaters for a 4 bed, single glazed, listed house(probably poorly insulated) is not adequate.
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 4th Dec 17, 1:30 PM
    • 3,175 Posts
    • 1,894 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 4th Dec 17, 1:30 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 1:30 PM
    I hope you've registerd with the electricity supplier and got your own account otherwise you could actually be paying off the previous tenant arrears. You should ensure that you are actually on an E7 tariff and that the heaters are only switching on during the overnight off-peak times (around midnight to 7am).

Are the heaters warm in the mornings and nearly cold laterin the day?. What are they set to most NNSH's have two setting dials, one is input or charge and the other is output. Ideally the input one should be set over halfway and the output should be closed, especially overnight otherwise you'll lose all the stored heat

Are you using supplementary heating during the day - we need a lot more info before anyone can give you any suggestions.

As Cardew says, four heaters in a four bedroomed house doesn't sound like enough - where are they located and what size are they (look for a label which should tell you their rating in kw)
    Last edited by matelodave; 04-12-2017 at 1:33 PM.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 4th Dec 17, 1:37 PM
    • 8,623 Posts
    • 5,097 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 4th Dec 17, 1:37 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 1:37 PM
    Thermal lined curtains may help a little.
    • macman
    • By macman 4th Dec 17, 6:13 PM
    • 41,422 Posts
    • 17,043 Thanks
    macman
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:13 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:13 PM
    Is this your own (new) key, or one that was left in the property? If the latter, then you are paying the previous occupier's debt. If not, then it has to be a faulty meter.
    Both the input and the output on NSH's are adjustable.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 4th Dec 17, 6:30 PM
    • 730 Posts
    • 624 Thanks
    House Martin
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:30 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:30 PM
    OP have a look at screen " S " on the meter. The key needs to be inserted to see this screen. then press the blue button to scroll through the various screens This is where any debt on the meter can be seen with the weekly repayment amount on the next screen " T "
    • Swest100
    • By Swest100 4th Dec 17, 6:32 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Swest100
    I called the electric company as soon as I moved in and I had to have a new key sent as the one they gave me wouldn't work at the shop. My emergency ran out earlier so I went to the shop and put £30 on the key and put it in the meter I have a £5 emergency to pay off so was expecting about £25 to be left but all I have is £9. I called the company and they said there is no charges but that they can see my usage is extremely high. I just don't understand where £16 went. It showed It had 30 on the key when I put it in and then only gave me 9 quid electric and most annoying of all the house is freezing still.
    • stewie_griffin
    • By stewie_griffin 4th Dec 17, 8:11 PM
    • 529 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    stewie_griffin
    Write down all the settings off your meter i.e. a, b, c etc and post them on here and someone will be able to understand what they mean.

You haven't specified how you heat water, is it an immersion heater that is set to come on during the E7 times only.

Also have you been using any other form of heating as 4 storage heaters doesn't sound enough for the size of your home. I live in some bed house that's reasonably insulated and I have two storage heaters therefore I'd expect your home to have 6 or 7.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

327Posts Today

2,301Users online

Martin's Twitter