Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • custservice
    • By custservice 4th Dec 17, 10:54 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 2Thanks
    custservice
    Animal cruelty
    • 4th Dec 17, 10:54 AM
    Animal cruelty 4th Dec 17 at 10:54 AM
    Please think twice before purchasing products containing goose and duck feathers. These animals can be treated horrendously.

Peta.org/features/down-investigation
Page 2
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 7th Dec 17, 9:27 AM
    • 18,576 Posts
    • 47,820 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Think someone was a few years too late starting this thread.

If the OP wants something to really get worked up about, I have watched a documentary with secret camera's in China where a large open market had dogs hanging up alive and being skinned.

Now that would be something to bring to peoples attention, but you couldnt show people pictures of it.

Its not something you can unsee.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    I heard this being discussed on one of the daytime programs earlier this week.

That's good to know.
    I looked at the individual garment descriptions.

It would seem very few companies are using live plucking these days.
    Originally posted by grayme-m
    Let's hope so.
    But can we be assured that cheap stuff being imported from countries like China is the same?
    • grayme-m
    • By grayme-m 7th Dec 17, 10:51 AM
    • 1,362 Posts
    • 824 Thanks
    grayme-m
    Agreed, the way we abuse animals all around the world is quite sad.
    Toyota - 'Always a better way', avoid buying Toyota.
    • grayme-m
    • By grayme-m 7th Dec 17, 10:55 AM
    • 1,362 Posts
    • 824 Thanks
    grayme-m
    Let's hope so.
    But can we be assured that cheap stuff being imported from countries like China is the same?
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    [Large] Companies do invest a lot of time and money into their Corporate Social Responsibility which will include ethical sourcing.

Therefore, if they say they are (or are not) doing something, I believe it is fair enough for us to take that; there are plenty of people and organisations that also spend time and money trying to find where they are not doing as they say they are, and reputational damage is something that companies really want to avoid.

If you are buying a duvet directly from China, that's a different matter entirely.
    Toyota - 'Always a better way', avoid buying Toyota.
    • owen_money
    • By owen_money 9th Dec 17, 6:04 PM
    • 401 Posts
    • 499 Thanks
    owen_money
    It makes by blood boil and agree it is very cruel to those poor ducks, it makes me so very angry and sick that it goes on, but on these cold winter nights a nice duck duvet is very cosy
    One man's folly is another man's wife. Helen Roland (1876 - 1950)
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 9th Dec 17, 6:43 PM
    • 11,584 Posts
    • 15,173 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    Think someone was a few years too late starting this thread.

If the OP wants something to really get worked up about, I have watched a documentary with secret camera's in China where a large open market had dogs hanging up alive and being skinned.

Now that would be something to bring to peoples attention, but you couldnt show people pictures of it.

Its not something you can unsee.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    I think British Youtuber Top5s did a short documentary recently on that, was it the Yuilin "festival"?
    Married to an immigrant.
    I live in the UK City of Culture 2021
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,228Posts Today

6,080Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin