Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Emma64
    • By Emma64 4th Dec 17, 10:33 AM
    • 37Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Emma64
    Removals services - can I get a refund?
    • 4th Dec 17, 10:33 AM
    Removals services - can I get a refund? 4th Dec 17 at 10:33 AM
    Hi,
    I'd appreciate some advice on this.

I needed to send several boxes of possessions plus some small furniture items to a European country. I contacted several removal companies, and settled on one called Aspin Removals.

I paid the fee (by mistake I paid the whole amount - yes stupid on my part I know, and I did email straight after asking if I could get the money minus the deposit, but they said no), and was told that I would be contacted nearer the pickup date with more details regarding time window and exact day etc (I'd be given a 3 days window in previous emails). Well, today is the last day of the 3 days window and I have not been contacted with the specific day (or anything else).

So either they're going to turn up without warning, or they're not going to turn up at all.

If they don't turn up, I want my money back, and was thinking of lodging a claim with the small claims court if necessary. Now - and this may be a stupid question - can I actually do that? Or am I obliged to use their services at a time that suits them (say they email me saying that they couldn't do the pick up in the dates I wanted but they can do it one week later, or on date X, for example)?

Also, can I be forced to use a mediation service? As far as I can tell, this is FAR more expensive.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thank you!
    Last edited by Emma64; 04-12-2017 at 12:33 PM.
Page 2
    • Emma64
    • By Emma64 4th Dec 17, 3:50 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Emma64
    Perhaps OP has telephonophobia
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    LOL, yes, there's something in that!

Anyway, they've been in touch and they are going to turn up, eventually, so that's something...
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 4th Dec 17, 4:09 PM
    • 3,317 Posts
    • 4,829 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    Yes, I'm pretty sure that the money went to the right people - we exchanged a fair number of emails before the money was paid.
    Originally posted by Emma64
    So did I to a Nigerian Princess.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 4th Dec 17, 5:22 PM
    • 18,896 Posts
    • 10,120 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Anyway, they've been in touch and they are going to turn up,
    Originally posted by Emma64
    So, no legal action now?
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 5th Dec 17, 10:36 AM
    • 4,008 Posts
    • 4,352 Thanks
    robatwork
    This thread will be pored over by legal experts for years. It's the MSE Scopes.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,607Posts Today

7,622Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @SF_England: @MartinSLewis Thanks Martin, just so everyone is aware- check your payslips between when you graduated and the following Ap?

• Sorry to bubble burst. But each day a lot of people tweet me this. I think it doesn't show any other votes until t? https://t.co/uRny62NRc1

• Today's Twitter poll: I want to find out are people generally happy. So how happy are you today? PS I did the same? https://t.co/3Gw9ylu2H2

• Follow Martin