Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Emma64
    • By Emma64 4th Dec 17, 10:33 AM
    • 37Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Emma64
    Removals services - can I get a refund?
    • 4th Dec 17, 10:33 AM
    Removals services - can I get a refund? 4th Dec 17 at 10:33 AM
    Hi,
    I'd appreciate some advice on this.

I needed to send several boxes of possessions plus some small furniture items to a European country. I contacted several removal companies, and settled on one called Aspin Removals.

I paid the fee (by mistake I paid the whole amount - yes stupid on my part I know, and I did email straight after asking if I could get the money minus the deposit, but they said no), and was told that I would be contacted nearer the pickup date with more details regarding time window and exact day etc (I'd be given a 3 days window in previous emails). Well, today is the last day of the 3 days window and I have not been contacted with the specific day (or anything else).

So either they're going to turn up without warning, or they're not going to turn up at all.

If they don't turn up, I want my money back, and was thinking of lodging a claim with the small claims court if necessary. Now - and this may be a stupid question - can I actually do that? Or am I obliged to use their services at a time that suits them (say they email me saying that they couldn't do the pick up in the dates I wanted but they can do it one week later, or on date X, for example)?

Also, can I be forced to use a mediation service? As far as I can tell, this is FAR more expensive.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thank you!
    Last edited by Emma64; 04-12-2017 at 12:33 PM.
Page 1
    • bris
    • By bris 4th Dec 17, 12:27 PM
    • 7,105 Posts
    • 6,122 Thanks
    bris
    • 4th Dec 17, 12:27 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 12:27 PM
    You could try making the font big enough to read.
    • Emma64
    • By Emma64 4th Dec 17, 12:34 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Emma64
    • 4th Dec 17, 12:34 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 12:34 PM
    Thanks - done - it looked normal sized on my screen, so I had no way to know.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 4th Dec 17, 12:49 PM
    • 18,906 Posts
    • 10,122 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 4th Dec 17, 12:49 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 12:49 PM
    [was told that I would be contacted nearer the pickup date with more details regarding time window and exact day etc (I'd be given a 3 days window in previous emails). Well, today is the last day of the 3 days window and I have not been contacted with the specific day (or anything else).
    Originally posted by Emma64
    Instead of posting on the internet about using a mediation service or even going to court, have you thought of actually simply contacting the firm and asking for an update? Today lasts all day, so the deadline hasn't even passed yet!
    • Emma64
    • By Emma64 4th Dec 17, 12:56 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Emma64
    • 4th Dec 17, 12:56 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 12:56 PM
    Well, I'm hoping to find out where I stand legally. If I do find out, it's still useful information, as far as I'm concerned.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 4th Dec 17, 1:06 PM
    • 18,769 Posts
    • 14,477 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 4th Dec 17, 1:06 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 1:06 PM
    I'd guess that they will turn up, but if they don't how did you pay, and how much was it (more or less than £100 rather than a specific amount)?
    • soolin
    • By soolin 4th Dec 17, 1:09 PM
    • 59,596 Posts
    • 42,291 Thanks
    soolin
    • 4th Dec 17, 1:09 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 1:09 PM
    Well, I'm hoping to find out where I stand legally. If I do find out, it's still useful information, as far as I'm concerned.
    As above, at the moment forget the legalities as advice given on here will change depending on what the company tells you.

How did you pay and what have you got in writing from them about guaranteed collection dates?

You admit that you are still within the suggested time frame, so surely a phone call won't hurt?
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Emma64
    • By Emma64 4th Dec 17, 1:11 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Emma64
    • 4th Dec 17, 1:11 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 1:11 PM
    I paid by bank transfer.
    It was several hundred pounds.
    Last edited by Emma64; 04-12-2017 at 1:14 PM.
    • Emma64
    • By Emma64 4th Dec 17, 1:14 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Emma64
    • 4th Dec 17, 1:14 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 1:14 PM
    Everything was arranged by several emails. These laid out a pick up and delivery window, and I was also told by email they would be in touch with a more specific date/ time nearer the date. I can dig out the exact words if that matters.
    Last edited by Emma64; 04-12-2017 at 1:14 PM. Reason: correct spelling mistake
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 4th Dec 17, 1:17 PM
    • 18,906 Posts
    • 10,122 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I paid by bank transfer.
    You realise that's the preferred payment method of scammers? Why did you use a Bank Transfer? That's like paying with cash and offers you no protection if things go wrong..
    • Emma64
    • By Emma64 4th Dec 17, 1:21 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Emma64
    Yes, I realise that was a mistake. Does that mean I have no legal rights if they don't turn up and refuse to reimburse me (or is that a silly question)? (I did some research, and they seem a legit company, though you never know these days, of course.)
    • harrys dad
    • By harrys dad 4th Dec 17, 1:23 PM
    • 1,845 Posts
    • 2,077 Thanks
    harrys dad
    I paid by bank transfer.
    It was several hundred pounds.
    Have you had any contact with them other than emails? Paying by bank transfer is just like paying with cash. I would suggest you telephone them immediately to make sure that you paid your money to the real people. Hacking into a firm's email to get money paid by bank transfer to a different account is a very common scam at the moment.

I hope I am being unnecessarily wary and that your money is safe, but being asked to pay by bank transfer is a big red flag.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 4th Dec 17, 1:25 PM
    • 18,906 Posts
    • 10,122 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Does that mean I have no legal rights if they don't turn up and refuse to reimburse me
    You continue to have legal rights. What you don't have is any additional protection from your bank or credit card company.

Have you contacted the company yet? Telephone would seem to be the most direct way of doing this.
    • Emma64
    • By Emma64 4th Dec 17, 1:27 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Emma64
    No, no, they didn't ASK to be paid by bank transfer. They give the choice of paying by card, but there is a x% surcharge, which I wanted to avoid.
    Yes, I'm pretty sure that the money went to the right people - we exchanged a fair number of emails before the money was paid.
    If they have been - somehow - hacked, then it's a different issue anyway, and I'm pretty sure they would have been in touch saying they haven't received the money.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 4th Dec 17, 1:38 PM
    • 18,906 Posts
    • 10,122 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    No, no, they didn't ASK to be paid by bank transfer. They give the choice of paying by card, but there is a x% surcharge
    Again, that's the kind of ploy that scammers use.

Only one poster has suggested that the firms E-Mail may have been hacked, but I don't believe that to be the case. I'm suspicious of the firm itself.

Where is this company located? Can you link to their website?

You still haven't said why you haven't telephoned them...
    • cajef
    • By cajef 4th Dec 17, 2:06 PM
    • 4,586 Posts
    • 3,644 Thanks
    cajef
    Is this the company?

http://www.aspininternationalremovals.co.uk/
    I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
    • Emma64
    • By Emma64 4th Dec 17, 2:12 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Emma64
    Yes, but I was hoping to find out where I stand legally in general regarding this issue.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 4th Dec 17, 2:20 PM
    • 18,906 Posts
    • 10,122 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Yes, but I was hoping to find out where I stand legally in general regarding this issue.
    You stand legally having paid for a service you have yet to receive. Talk of legal action and Mediation is premature until you actually get a response from the company.

Why do you keep avoiding the question of why you haven't simply asked them what is going on?
    Telephone number on their website is 0207 993 4464, why don't you call them?
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 4th Dec 17, 2:32 PM
    • 15,390 Posts
    • 21,011 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    Legally you are entitled to your service or a refund.

Just phone them and ask what time they are turning up today. Record the call if you can.

Then follow up the phone call with an email summarising what was agreed on the phone.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 4th Dec 17, 3:42 PM
    • 10,051 Posts
    • 8,118 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Why do you keep avoiding the question of why you haven't simply asked them what is going on?
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    Perhaps OP has telephonophobia
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,248Posts Today

6,093Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin