Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 4th Dec 17, 10:06 AM
    • 1,707Posts
    • 3,048Thanks
    SamsReturn
    Co-op sells food after 'best before' dates
    • 4th Dec 17, 10:06 AM
    Co-op sells food after 'best before' dates 4th Dec 17 at 10:06 AM
    Unfortunately it's only in East Anglia but in an attempt to reduce waste, they're selling things for 10p.

East of England Co-op will become the first major retailer to sell food beyond its "best before" dates.
    The chain's 125 stores in East Anglia will sell dried foods and tinned products for just 10p in a bid to cut food waste.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42217026
    I thought a lot of supermarkets already gave things away, to the likes of food-banks. But once supermarket starts this, perhaps others will follow.............. Bring on the yellow stickers
Page 2
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 6th Dec 17, 12:53 AM
    • 31,199 Posts
    • 114,986 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Oops, I've been reusing the bottles for years......

I only buy it when I need a new bottle
    Originally posted by joansgirl
    It would have been cheaper to have bought a proper reusable bottle and just fill it from the tap!
    Like wot I do!

I use an Aladdin bottle, as it is the most leakproof one I have found to date.

They are made of a safe plastic.

I wonder if the toxins from the plastic bottles you have been using has poisoned your brain into thinking you must paint, paint, paint for all eternity?
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • catkins
    • By catkins 6th Dec 17, 11:49 AM
    • 5,479 Posts
    • 11,603 Thanks
    catkins
    I take no notice of use by/sell by/best by dates whatsoever. I have perfectly good eyes to see what the food looks like and a perfectly good sense of smell.

I have eaten yoghurts months and months out of date and never been ill. I cut mould off cheese and bread and eat the rest. Also cut sprouts or green bits of potatoes.
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 6th Dec 17, 11:58 AM
    • 539 Posts
    • 1,320 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    But I absolutely loathe seeing bottled water for sale in Britain, so don't get me started on that!
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    Depends why you buy it, if it's as a substitute for tap water I agree it's ridiculous but if you're out and about and fancy a drink it's surely better than buying a can of coke or a coffee.
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 6th Dec 17, 12:06 PM
    • 2,083 Posts
    • 955 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    I sont agree with dates not been meaningful..

In fact I think dates are set too lacks not the other way round.

e.g. bread often will taste bad a day or more before its date.
    same I have noticed with sweets and chocolate.
    frozen food same.
    tinned food? never tried it.

But given the health issues I have also had from eating out of date food I wont chance it. So I never like it when I read people saying there is no issue to eat after date's.

I know best before and use by are two different meanings, but I still think people should be very wary of eating anything after the printed date or even close to the date.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 6th Dec 17, 3:21 PM
    • 31,199 Posts
    • 114,986 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I sont agree with dates not been meaningful..

In fact I think dates are set too lacks not the other way round.

e.g. bread often will taste bad a day or more before its date.
    same I have noticed with sweets and chocolate.
    frozen food same.
    tinned food? never tried it.

But given the health issues I have also had from eating out of date food I wont chance it. So I never like it when I read people saying there is no issue to eat after date's.

I know best before and use by are two different meanings, but I still think people should be very wary of eating anything after the printed date or even close to the date.
    Originally posted by Chrysalis
    A lot also depends on how the customer stores it.

Someone whose fridge is at 10C might find their food goes off more quickly than someone whose fridge is at 5C, for example.
    Also, how long did it sit in your car between getting from the shop to the fridge? Especially in summer?

Was it transported in an insulated bag or an ordinary bag?

Customer handling of the food can affect its longevity.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 7th Dec 17, 12:35 PM
    • 2,083 Posts
    • 955 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    agree on all points.

I cannot answer the in car question as my main food shop is delivered by tesco.

If I get stuff from the coop near me it goes straight in thee fridge so in the bag for maybe 5 minutes.

I dont measure the temperature of my fridge or the shop's.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

289Posts Today

1,682Users online

Martin's Twitter