Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 4th Dec 17, 10:06 AM
    • 1,661Posts
    • 2,943Thanks
    SamsReturn
    Co-op sells food after 'best before' dates
    • 4th Dec 17, 10:06 AM
    Co-op sells food after 'best before' dates 4th Dec 17 at 10:06 AM
    Unfortunately it's only in East Anglia but in an attempt to reduce waste, they're selling things for 10p.

East of England Co-op will become the first major retailer to sell food beyond its "best before" dates.
    The chain's 125 stores in East Anglia will sell dried foods and tinned products for just 10p in a bid to cut food waste.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42217026
    I thought a lot of supermarkets already gave things away, to the likes of food-banks. But once supermarket starts this, perhaps others will follow.............. Bring on the yellow stickers
Page 1
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 4th Dec 17, 10:31 AM
    • 7,905 Posts
    • 8,013 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 4th Dec 17, 10:31 AM
    • 4th Dec 17, 10:31 AM
    For things like tinned/dried foods, any sell-by date is pretty much irrelevant as they will keep far longer, so good for them!
    • yorkie18
    • By yorkie18 4th Dec 17, 11:39 AM
    • 724 Posts
    • 5,215 Thanks
    yorkie18
    • 4th Dec 17, 11:39 AM
    • 4th Dec 17, 11:39 AM
    To be fair, the Co Op near me has been selling out of date food for a while - just at full price ��
    Be Kind, Work Hard, Stay Humble, Smile Often, Keep Honest, Stay Loyal, Travel When Possible, Never Stop Learning, Be Thankful Always and Love
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 4th Dec 17, 11:55 AM
    • 23,982 Posts
    • 50,732 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    • 4th Dec 17, 11:55 AM
    • 4th Dec 17, 11:55 AM
    For things like tinned/dried foods, any sell-by date is pretty much irrelevant as they will keep far longer, so good for them!
    Originally posted by pogofish

That's why they don't have them.

They have Best Before dates.
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 4th Dec 17, 11:57 AM
    • 1,661 Posts
    • 2,943 Thanks
    SamsReturn
    • 4th Dec 17, 11:57 AM
    • 4th Dec 17, 11:57 AM
    Originally posted by pogofish
    The most confusing date, which i can't understand is, on bottled water.
    You see on the label, ....... collected from natural springs, where it's tricked through rocks for thousands of years .......... Drink by next Tuesday.
    • avogadro
    • By avogadro 4th Dec 17, 1:42 PM
    • 3,687 Posts
    • 6,421 Thanks
    avogadro
    • 4th Dec 17, 1:42 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 1:42 PM
    To be fair, the Co Op near me has been selling out of date food for a while - just at full price ��
    Originally posted by yorkie18
    There was a CoOp near where I used to live that did that. I registered a comment about it at the time, was given some free vouchers for my trouble, but the problem remained. We suspect it was down to poor management of that particular branch.
    • andygb
    • By andygb 4th Dec 17, 3:02 PM
    • 11,931 Posts
    • 25,746 Thanks
    andygb
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:02 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:02 PM
    Originally posted by yorkie18

That is illegal.
    Apparently not, but when I asked if I could have some stuff the Co-op near me were going to throw away, they said it was illegal for them to do it.
    Last edited by andygb; 04-12-2017 at 3:05 PM.
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 4th Dec 17, 3:33 PM
    • 526 Posts
    • 468 Thanks
    NineDeuce
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:33 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:33 PM
    Eating out of date food makes you ill.....
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 4th Dec 17, 3:37 PM
    • 30,998 Posts
    • 114,219 Thanks
    Pyxis
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:37 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:37 PM
    The most confusing date, which i can't understand is, on bottled water.
    You see on the label, ....... collected from natural springs, where it's tricked through rocks for thousands of years .......... Drink by next Tuesday.
    Originally posted by SamsReturn
    All water has some bacteria in it.

Left standing for a length of time, those bacteria can multiply, and some might be harmful in high numbers.

Plus, I believe, but am not 100% sure, that the plastic bottles can leach chemicals into the water over time, which is why you're not supposed to reuse the bottles.

But I absolutely loathe seeing bottled water for sale in Britain, so don't get me started on that!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • Tarry
    • By Tarry 4th Dec 17, 6:01 PM
    • 10,496 Posts
    • 23,512 Thanks
    Tarry
    My local Morrisons is quite bad at having chilled food (most chilled is use by, although Muller corners are best before oddly enough) past it's use by date.
    The Very Right Honourable Lady Tarry of the Alphabetty thread

-I just love finding bargains and saving money
    I love to travel as much as I can when I can
    Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 4th Dec 17, 9:02 PM
    • 2,398 Posts
    • 9,547 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    The Pounstretcher near me has been doing this for quite a while but usually only at half price.
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Walk 2000 3000 miles in 2017 - 3189.5
    This week 56.1
    • Ash Mc
    • By Ash Mc 4th Dec 17, 11:48 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 353 Thanks
    Ash Mc
    But I absolutely loathe seeing bottled water for sale in Britain, so don't get me started on that!
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    Me too - Morrisons do a range of fruit infused water in their 'meal deal' which I'll buy if I'm thirsty solely because they've gone to the effort of flavouring it with fresh fruit and it tastes nice. Other than that, I'm happy with tap water.
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 5th Dec 17, 1:26 AM
    • 4,290 Posts
    • 5,507 Thanks
    jack_pott
    People are throwing food away because they buy more than they can eat, and the solution to this is to reduce the price so that they can buy even more...........

I think it will just go to the dump via a wheelie bin instead of a supermarket skip.
    I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    • Stuffed Turkey
    • By Stuffed Turkey 5th Dec 17, 12:25 PM
    • 1,073 Posts
    • 899 Thanks
    Stuffed Turkey
    The Co Op here became a Sainsburys Local. (It's more expensive than normal Sainsburys as well!)
    A Turkey Is Not Just For Christmas.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 5th Dec 17, 1:06 PM
    • 1,914 Posts
    • 2,405 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    My late mum never took any notice of 'use by' dates - she reckoned they were a con to make you throw good food away and buy more.

She'd only throw food away if it got up and walked out of the kitchen by itself - because 'you'd have been glad of that during the war'.

Can't remember getting food poisoning, though.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 5th Dec 17, 1:10 PM
    • 30,998 Posts
    • 114,219 Thanks
    Pyxis
    My late mum never took any notice of 'use by' dates - she reckoned they were a con to make you throw good food away and buy more.

She'd only throw food away if it got up and walked out of the kitchen by itself - because 'you'd have been glad of that during the war'.

Can't remember getting food poisoning, though.
    Originally posted by Silvertabby
    To be honest, with the possible exception of fish and shellfish, I just use some common sense, together with the look test, the sniff test, and finally the taste test. If it passes those three tests, then I'll eat it.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 5th Dec 17, 1:16 PM
    • 1,914 Posts
    • 2,405 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    To be honest, with the possible exception of fish and shellfish, I just use some common sense, together with the look test, the sniff test, and finally the taste test. If it passes those three tests, then I'll eat it. Posted by Pyxis
    The only fish we could afford when we were growing up would have been fish and chips and the odd tin of salmon for special occasions.

If meat seemed a bit 'off', mum would just boil it for longer. If she'd done the same with (not so) fresh fish then I don't think we'd have been so lucky!

Add: As for prawns, our last cat simply adored them - I would put a couple in her dish and she would gobble them down as though they were her last meal on earth. One time, however, she just sniffed at them, turned and gave me a dirty look, and stomped off in a huff. The prawns seemed fine to me, but I bowed to her greater expertise and binned the lot.

The next day, with a fresh bag of prawns, she was back to wolfing them down.
    Last edited by Silvertabby; 05-12-2017 at 2:30 PM.
    • Sad. Sack
    • By Sad. Sack 5th Dec 17, 5:13 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 169 Thanks
    Sad. Sack
    I used to collect their stamps.
    I like roast potatoes, i do.
    • Jingle_Belle
    • By Jingle_Belle 5th Dec 17, 5:17 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    Jingle_Belle
    I used to collect their stamps.
    Originally posted by Sad. Sack
    That was along time ago
    Looking Forward To Santa Filling My Stocking
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 5th Dec 17, 7:56 PM
    • 12,980 Posts
    • 49,364 Thanks
    joansgirl
    All water has some bacteria in it.

Left standing for a length of time, those bacteria can multiply, and some might be harmful in high numbers.

Plus, I believe, but am not 100% sure, that the plastic bottles can leach chemicals into the water over time, which is why you're not supposed to reuse the bottles.

Originally posted by Pyxis
    Oops, I've been reusing the bottles for years......

I only buy it when I need a new bottle
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...

Finito
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,426Posts Today

8,311Users online

Martin's Twitter