Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 4th Dec 17, 8:56 AM
    • 526Posts
    • 468Thanks
    NineDeuce
    Doorsteps.co.uk
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:56 AM
    Doorsteps.co.uk 4th Dec 17 at 8:56 AM
    Hi. Does anybody have any experience with the website http://doorsteps.co.uk/

Please could you provide information and how they compare to a high street estate agent and other online agents such as Purple Bricks. Many thanks.
Page 1
    • JoJo1978
    • By JoJo1978 4th Dec 17, 9:05 AM
    • 180 Posts
    • 173 Thanks
    JoJo1978
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:05 AM
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:05 AM
    Which package are you considering? The most basic one would leave you needing to do a lot of tasks yourself.

I've not used them but was just looking at their website and comparing to the service we've got from our traditional EA.

Get more than one valuation before you decide on an agent. Most EA will do that for free with no obligation.
    Hamster in the wheel (London) 1999-2017
    Mortgage free since 2015; Pension pot sorted 2017
    Second career (what TBD!) 2018
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 4th Dec 17, 9:18 AM
    • 526 Posts
    • 468 Thanks
    NineDeuce
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:18 AM
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:18 AM
    I dont mind which package. If the more expensive one is worth then fine. £199 seems like some deal given the costs of conventional agents.

How can they get to be so cheap? Is there something I am missing?
    • JoJo1978
    • By JoJo1978 4th Dec 17, 9:33 AM
    • 180 Posts
    • 173 Thanks
    JoJo1978
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:33 AM
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:33 AM
    Ok, am only going on limited personal experience and second hand experience. But there seems to be an element of getting what you pay for wrt service:

As a buyer I've used PB to book viewing but not to offer (didn't get that far). Pros: convenient Cons: direct messaging with vendor, personally I hated that for very early stage in buying process.

There's a current thread on here about someone else's buying experience with PB who did go to offer stage, with reading. This may be the experience you are letting your potential buyers go through.

We met our solicitor recently and were talking in general about how house transactions may change over time. Online agents came up and they commented that dealing with online agent-appointed solicitors wasn't their favourite thing (slow, and the clients couldn't be in control of the chasing they had to go via their online agent account manager.)

Have only ever used traditional agents for buying and selling, doing so right now and it's a nightmare for various reasons. The advantage of hight street agents has been that they've been able to help sort out multiple problems very quickly. For example our agent called in some favours to get tradesman out to our place on the weekend so that exchange deadline wasn't missed. Our sellers agent walked round to the solicitors to ensure a piece of paper got to its destination. And also spent hours on the phone to each of us when our transaction started to fail. I'm just not sure that you'd get the same from an online agent.
    Hamster in the wheel (London) 1999-2017
    Mortgage free since 2015; Pension pot sorted 2017
    Second career (what TBD!) 2018
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 4th Dec 17, 10:06 AM
    • 5,558 Posts
    • 4,952 Thanks
    00ec25
    • 4th Dec 17, 10:06 AM
    • 4th Dec 17, 10:06 AM
    there was a BBC article about Doorsteps pointing out how big they have become so quickly

what is brutally clear about them is you get what you pay for and you pay extra for anything that is not specifically part of the headline rate. Just look at what is missing from the headline £99 plan - no photos, no description , no floorplan. Now read any thread on here about "why is my house not selling" and you will see the same themes time and time again: poor photos, no floorplan

on the £199 deal that does include then, how good do you think the "instant online valuation" will be when the small print says it is based on "local analysis" yet by definition they have never seen your property and are not local so cannot do anything other than a sweeping broad brush 3 bed in Harpenden is £X approach, yes you may be 3 bed, but the comparison ends there.

obviously they are selling property otherwise they would not still be in business and the owner won't have been eulogised as a young multi-millionaire, but you get what you pay for....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,583Posts Today

7,561Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @SF_England: @MartinSLewis Thanks Martin, just so everyone is aware- check your payslips between when you graduated and the following Ap?

• Sorry to bubble burst. But each day a lot of people tweet me this. I think it doesn't show any other votes until t? https://t.co/uRny62NRc1

• Today's Twitter poll: I want to find out are people generally happy. So how happy are you today? PS I did the same? https://t.co/3Gw9ylu2H2

• Follow Martin