Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BStark
    • By BStark 4th Dec 17, 8:51 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    BStark
    Compensation after train derailment
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:51 AM
    Compensation after train derailment 4th Dec 17 at 8:51 AM
    Hi,

I could really use some advice on how to go about getting compensation.
    I was involved in a train derailment. I have been severely impacted from a mental point of view. I am currently getting help to get over the anxiety, panic attacks and PTSD but this will take time. My psychotherapist is hopeful that I will be able to recover, but increasingly I am growing concerned about how I am going to be able to get back on track with my life.
    I have a job I love, but at this moment I am unable to get out of the house by myself (my commute is 3 hours a day and I can't even manage to go out into my garden at the moment). I still suffer badly from insomnia and migraines, so even working from home would be hard and I can't give them the quality I usually give, and it could slow down the healing process. I feel stuck and scared about my career and life in general. It's like being stuck in a constant nightmare. I know I need to start thinking about compensation and make sure that I can still pay my bills and continue getting the support but I don't know how. Does anyone have experience about what to do and what not? Who can I trust? I see these adverts for compensation lawyers are they the best to go with? Is it better to get a lawyer who is closer to me so he/she can really understand the impact? And what's the process? How do you ask for compensation? I know I should at least get a refund for my ticket, but what about the hell this has put me through? The damage to my health now and perhaps in the future? What if this never goes away? What if I am left with migraines for the rest of my life? What about the damage to my career? I was doing so well, really making a difference and this has messed everything up. Please help. Kind regards, B
    Last edited by BStark; 04-12-2017 at 11:14 AM. Reason: typo
Page 1
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 4th Dec 17, 4:03 PM
    • 4,788 Posts
    • 3,147 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 4th Dec 17, 4:03 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 4:03 PM
    When did this horrific incident take place?
    • payandisplay
    • By payandisplay 4th Dec 17, 4:47 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    payandisplay
    • 4th Dec 17, 4:47 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 4:47 PM
    Surely this is a wind up!
    • societys child
    • By societys child 4th Dec 17, 7:32 PM
    • 4,895 Posts
    • 5,345 Thanks
    societys child
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:32 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:32 PM
    What derailment was this, where did it happen?

This is vital, to assess the level of compensayshun you might be entitled to.

• FlameCloud
    • By FlameCloud 4th Dec 17, 7:41 PM
    • 1,785 Posts
    • 854 Thanks
    FlameCloud
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:41 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:41 PM
    I think there were two in August - both low speed as the trains were pulling out of station.
    • BStark
    • By BStark 5th Dec 17, 8:32 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BStark
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:32 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:32 AM
    What derailment was this, where did it happen?

This is vital, to assess the level of compensayshun you might be entitled to.
    Originally posted by societys child
    It happened early in the morning, the 6th of November (3 weeks ago) and it was at low speed, we were just leaving Wimbeldon station. It was the last carriage that derailed.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 5th Dec 17, 9:01 AM
    • 7,301 Posts
    • 4,079 Thanks
    martindow
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:01 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:01 AM
    Hi,

I was involved in a train derailment. I have been severely impacted from a mental point of view. I am currently getting help to get over the anxiety, panic attacks and PTSD but this will take time. My psychotherapist is hopeful that I will be able to recover, but increasingly I am growing concerned about how I am going to be able to get back on track with my life.
    Originally posted by BStark
    I think you need to concentrate on your therapy.

Looking for compensation is likely to be frustrating and possibly fruitless. It is likely to add stress that I'm sure you can do without. Have you discussed this aspect with your therapist?
    • BStark
    • By BStark 5th Dec 17, 9:35 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BStark
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:35 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:35 AM
    I think you need to concentrate on your therapy.

Looking for compensation is likely to be frustrating and possibly fruitless. It is likely to add stress that I'm sure you can do without. Have you discussed this aspect with your therapist?
    Originally posted by martindow
    Thank you. My therapist actually brought it up in one of our first sessions and said that I need to look into it later down the line. But friends of mine said that there is probably a time limit on these things and since I am the one who is the biggest provider in our family, I have to think about these things. I know I couldn't handle the intensity of it yet, at this moment I am just looking for reassurance about where to go and some facts rather than assumptions of my friends. Don't get me wrong, they mean well and they are trying to protect me and my family. But I will take on your advice and talk to my therapist more in detail about this, to at least take the worries away. Cause one of the worst things is the fear of failing the people who depend on me. Thank you.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 5th Dec 17, 9:45 AM
    • 15,442 Posts
    • 38,778 Thanks
    elsien
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:45 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:45 AM
    You might find this helpful.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-courts/personal-injuries/

My suggestion would be that 3 weeks is too early to start doing anything, in part because at this stage you have no idea of the long term impact. But if you want to check out the timescales for your own peace of mind, try an experienced advisor at CAB or go for one of the free half hour sessions with a solicitor who is familiar with the area of legislation. You might want to look at claims companies further down the line but they're not going to be impartial which is probably what you need to start with while you consider your options and try to recover.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • BStark
    • By BStark 5th Dec 17, 10:03 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BStark
    Thank you very much, I will look into this when I feel ready for it and I will talk to my therapist about it more too so I can stop worrying. Thank you!
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 5th Dec 17, 10:45 AM
    • 1,864 Posts
    • 3,874 Thanks
    IAmWales
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/06/wimbledon-derailment-passengers-shaken-violently-commuter-train/

This, really? Was there already an underlying mental health condition?
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 5th Dec 17, 11:33 AM
    • 1,997 Posts
    • 842 Thanks
    Stoke
    Good to see everyone being helpful in this thread..... nobody mocking the OP at all.
    • Murphy_The_Cat
    • By Murphy_The_Cat 10th Dec 17, 6:47 PM
    • 19,499 Posts
    • 25,457 Thanks
    Murphy_The_Cat
    Originally posted by IAmWales
    If that is the "event" that the OP was involved in - OMG, the horror, the horror.
    "A spokesman said: "A rear carriage derailed at a slow speed and while there were around 300 people on board there is only one reported minor injury."

• LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 10th Dec 17, 7:23 PM
    • 2,571 Posts
    • 2,667 Thanks
    LadyDee
    One person's compensation is a fare increase for thousands.
    • boliston
    • By boliston 10th Dec 17, 9:05 PM
    • 2,453 Posts
    • 2,019 Thanks
    boliston
    The important thing with compensation is negligence - what caused the derailment?
    • LABMAN
    • By LABMAN 10th Dec 17, 9:46 PM
    • 700 Posts
    • 1,160 Thanks
    LABMAN
    Hi,

I have a job I love, but at this moment I am unable to get out of the house by myself (my commute is 3 hours a day and I can't even manage to go out into my garden at the moment). I still suffer badly from insomnia and migraines, so even working from home would be hard and I can't give them the quality I usually give, and it could slow down the healing process. I feel stuck and scared about my career and life in general. It's like being stuck in a constant nightmare. I know I need to start thinking about compensation and make sure that I can still pay my bills and continue getting the support but I don't know how. Does anyone have experience about what to do and what not? Who can I trust? I see these adverts for compensation lawyers are they the best to go with? Is it better to get a lawyer who is closer to me so he/she can really understand the impact? And what's the process? How do you ask for compensation? I know I should at least get a refund for my ticket, but what about the hell this has put me through? The damage to my health now and perhaps in the future? What if this never goes away? What if I am left with migraines for the rest of my life? What about the damage to my career? I was doing so well, really making a difference and this has messed everything up. Please help. Kind regards, B
    Originally posted by BStark
    Quoted in full....just in case!
    • rdwarr
    • By rdwarr 13th Dec 17, 11:29 AM
    • 5,711 Posts
    • 6,499 Thanks
    rdwarr
    I don't spend as much time on here as I used to and some of the pure nastiness and hostility directed towards a genuine first-time poster seeking help just reinforce the view that this place is continuing the downhill slide.
    Can't you trolls just head over to Facebook or something? This isn't a place for sport.
    Can I help?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 13th Dec 17, 12:36 PM
    • 18,768 Posts
    • 14,479 Thanks
    agrinnall
    ...directed towards a genuine first-time poster...
    Originally posted by rdwarr
    But how do you know the OP is genuine? Anyone who does spend much time on the forums rightly has a healthy dose of scepticism about any new poster who comes along with a hard to believe story.
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 13th Dec 17, 12:51 PM
    • 1,949 Posts
    • 3,094 Thanks
    k3lvc
    I've almost crapped myself through unexpected turbulence on a number of flights and never considered that compo was due.

Where does the OP draw the line - an emergency stop or puncture on a bus ?
    • Murphy_The_Cat
    • By Murphy_The_Cat 13th Dec 17, 1:05 PM
    • 19,499 Posts
    • 25,457 Thanks
    Murphy_The_Cat
    The give away is usually "compenstaion" or "rip off" in the title or first line.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

76Posts Today

3,552Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin