Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Stanthedog
    • By Stanthedog 4th Dec 17, 8:49 AM
    • 27Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Stanthedog
    0 WOW
    Single Cross Channel Ferry Tickets
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:49 AM
    0 WOW
    Single Cross Channel Ferry Tickets 4th Dec 17 at 8:49 AM
    Hello

As part of our travel plans I have a requirement to cross from Dover to Calais. As we don't know when we will be returning we just need a single ferry crossing. Looking on the various ferry operator websites it appears that there is a significant saving if I purchase a day return ticket, rather than a single. I can save well over 50% of the ticket price if I do this with P & O Ferries . Has anyone done this and is there likely to be any repercussion if I do this? Can they stop you travelling on the outward leg if I have no intention of using the return leg from Calais to Dover or is it just a case of don't tell them if they don't need to know??
    Many thanks
Page 1
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 4th Dec 17, 9:14 AM
    • 81 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    bradders1983
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:14 AM
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:14 AM
    Cant see what "repercussions" there would be, you have paid for the ticket and you can do as you please with it.

No different to not using the return portion of a plane or train ticket.
    Last edited by bradders1983; 04-12-2017 at 9:42 AM.
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 4th Dec 17, 2:28 PM
    • 5,281 Posts
    • 4,466 Thanks
    mgdavid
    • 4th Dec 17, 2:28 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 2:28 PM
    although it could get interesting when you eventually try to buy the homeward crossing
    A salary slave no more.....
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 4th Dec 17, 2:30 PM
    • 4,950 Posts
    • 3,583 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    • 4th Dec 17, 2:30 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 2:30 PM
    They won't know you don't intend to use the return.
    Can't think of anything that could happen if you do this so I don't see a problem.
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • Stanthedog
    • By Stanthedog 4th Dec 17, 2:31 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Stanthedog
    • 4th Dec 17, 2:31 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 2:31 PM
    although it could get interesting when you eventually try to buy the homeward crossing
    Originally posted by mgdavid
    Hi, why would this be?
    • firefox1956
    • By firefox1956 4th Dec 17, 3:08 PM
    • 1,382 Posts
    • 791 Thanks
    firefox1956
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:08 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:08 PM
    Number plate recognition ???
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 5th Dec 17, 2:44 AM
    • 5,281 Posts
    • 4,466 Thanks
    mgdavid
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:44 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:44 AM
    They will know that you have not travelled and used the return ticket. It will be reflected within the IT system. When you go to book another crossing they could easily place a sanction, refuse the booking, impose a surcharge, prevent you selecting a discount fare, etc etc.
    A salary slave no more.....
    • Stanthedog
    • By Stanthedog 5th Dec 17, 11:55 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Stanthedog
    • 5th Dec 17, 11:55 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 11:55 AM
    Isnt the solution that if it happens just to book with another operator, DF ferries or Le Shuttle?
    • benjus
    • By benjus 5th Dec 17, 7:08 PM
    • 5,021 Posts
    • 3,088 Thanks
    benjus
    • 5th Dec 17, 7:08 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 7:08 PM
    Eurotunnel Le Shuttle has this in the terms and conditions:

in the event that you complete only one journey in respect of a return booking, you will be liable to pay the difference between the price that you paid for your return booking and the single fare applicable at the time that your journey was made. Eurotunnel reserves the right to obtain from you payment in full for all sums so arising
    I guess they might try to take payment from the same card you used to book, and if that fails they might try a debt recovery firm and potentially even court action. In any case, I doubt they would allow you to travel again with them until you'd cleared the debt.

I thought P&O had a similar condition, although I can't see it in their T&C right now. So maybe you would be OK. Or maybe I'm not looking hard enough...
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
    • pompeyrich
    • By pompeyrich 6th Dec 17, 3:12 PM
    • 3,047 Posts
    • 3,078 Thanks
    pompeyrich
    I thought P&O had a similar condition, although I can't see it in their T&C right now. So maybe you would be OK. Or maybe I'm not looking hard enough...
    Originally posted by benjus
    They certainly did used to have it in their T&Cs but i can't see it now either. They do have a condition that the return portion of a ticket won't be accepted if the outward portion isn't used, which puts a stop to the buy 2 cheap day return tickets and use 1 to go out and the return of the other one to come back that people used to try.

It also states that no luggage is allowed on day trips, although may only apply to foot passengers as I have never had my boot checked by any operator, apart from Port Security checks and they don't ask for your ticket.
    • Stanthedog
    • By Stanthedog 6th Dec 17, 3:15 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Stanthedog
    Yes I noticed that in the terms about luggage although it could be foot only as you say
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

214Posts Today

1,426Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin