Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 4th Dec 17, 6:13 AM
    • 2,897Posts
    • 39,332Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Monday 4 December 2017
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:13 AM
    O/S Daily Monday 4 December 2017 4th Dec 17 at 6:13 AM
    O/S Daily Monday 4 December 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Still dark, cold and frosty.

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit, will wake him shortly.

Lunch yesterday was roast beef, roasties, mash, cauli/broc cheese, carrots, brussels, peas, yorkshires and gravy - some LO's so will incorporate those into a meal over the next couple of days. Dinner tonight will be smoked sausage and mushroom pasta, menfolk will have a breaded chicken portion with theirs.

We were very chilled yesterday - just watching catchup tv etc, I spent some time on here. Back to work today, it may be busy as first Monday of the month - we'll see.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 04-12-2017 at 6:20 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 1
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 4th Dec 17, 6:37 AM
    • 103 Posts
    • 890 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:37 AM
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:37 AM
    Good morning and thank you Nmlc.
    A dry and frosty start here. Yesterday was a lovely day, with plenty of sunshine.I don't know
    what is forecast for today, I'll check later. I did some washing last night, so I would like to get it out if possible - even if just to give it that nice fresh smell.
    We had a busy weekend with ds and family over to help decorate the tree, and dgd stayed on Saturday night as dd and her partner were away for the weekend..
    Once dgd had gone home yesterday afternoon we collapsed in a heap for a while, then tidied up. All our decs are done now, looks very nice.
    Meeting some friends later, and doing the usual household stuff for the rest of the day.
    Hope everyone has a good day.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 4th Dec 17, 6:55 AM
    • 15,461 Posts
    • 63,827 Thanks
    Judi
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:55 AM
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:55 AM
    Morning nmlc and all.

The weekend has started pretty rubbish. Message from the Mother of my eldest Grandson. We usually put £50 in his card for his birthday which covers Christmas as well. Well this year due to finances he is having £25 in 2 lots, one for his birthday and one for Christmas. Well I dont think its gone down well.

The message I got was :

'He dont want anything we have each other that's all we need .. '

Its not a matter of wanting anything, the money is given because hes my Grandson and hes not being treated any differently to my other Grandchildren. Ive explained to my daughters the financial situation hubby is in and they understand. If I wanted to be funny about it I could respond to her message by saying :

'Yes ive noticed its not though hes shown any interest or gratitude for the interest or monitary gifts we've given him in the past'.

But of course I wont.

Im also annoyed with Grump for putting us in this position in the first place. 3 cars bought and sold in 12 months...rediculous. I understand its him who goes to work to earn it but hes made some poor choices lately. This has got to stop, for his benefit and the benefit of my family. I couldnt care less about myself.

Anyway Grump was out the door at 5 and Youngest is just leaving.

Today I must

Vacuum throughout
    Steam clean hard floors
    Laundry
    Phone chemist
    Tea - Pasta bake

Onwards and forwards

Have a great day all
    Last edited by Judi; 04-12-2017 at 3:39 PM.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 4th Dec 17, 7:00 AM
    • 1,160 Posts
    • 9,778 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:00 AM
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:00 AM
    Morning everyone

My brother and sister in law brought me some nice treats when they visited yesterday. They got me a few expensive ready meals that I wouldn’t have bought for myself because of the cost. If I can’t walk I will use them but if I am able to stand and cook then I will save them up as treats.

I’ve just put a load of washing on. I don’t think it will dry outside so I may resort to using the td. Not very money saving but I can’t face drying washing on the radiators today.

Hopefully my GP will have been emailed the result of my leg x-ray so I will phone for that after 2.00pm when they give results out at the surgery.

Anyhow, hugs to everyone who is poorly at the moment and struggling with life.

Have a good day everyone whatever you are doing.
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 4th Dec 17, 7:04 AM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 14,543 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:04 AM
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:04 AM
    Morning all thank you for starting us off nmlc.
    Judi, you are not having a very nice time at present, I do hope things change soon.
    I am going back to work today after a two week break- most of that was time off in lieu but not all as there us a restriction on how many days can be taken in a row. I am actually dreading going back. I am not sure why. I have the most experience of anyone in my team and I think of anyone in the service but I think I am past my sell by date. I have had to carry on past retirement age for financial reasons but am not sure how much longer I can hack this. Never mind, it will all come out in the wash and please ignore me, I'm simply using this as a place to vent safely.
    I must get my large and lardy arris in gear and go and earn our living. See you later and I hope everyone has a good day.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • redruby
    • By redruby 4th Dec 17, 7:14 AM
    • 6,505 Posts
    • 90,093 Thanks
    redruby
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:14 AM
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:14 AM
    Morning all

Cold here this morning but I cant see what the weather is doing as the blinds are still shut, back to work for me today but only two weeks left until I finish work for Xmas

The main part of the kitchen is finished now, I have to put another coat of oil on the worktops tonight and the gas man is coming to connect the oven either tonight or tomorrow night, which means I can actually cook things rather than microwave , the tiles need doing but hopefully a friend will be coming this week, I then need to paint it and OH put the lights up then we are done . I am slowly putting things back in there but taking the opportunity to have a good clear out of stuff as well.

Lasagne for dinner tonight which I can zap in the mw if the oven chap cant come, with salad.

DD had a mega migraine yesterday she had to come home from her boyfriends, the only thing she can do is throw up and they sleep in a darkened room for a few hours, I thought she had grown out of them as she has not had one for years, I hope they are not returning.

Right better get on have good days all xx
    • tru
    • By tru 4th Dec 17, 7:19 AM
    • 8,588 Posts
    • 43,437 Thanks
    tru
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:19 AM
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:19 AM

The holly and the ivy,
    When they are both full grown
    Of all the trees that are in the wood
    The holly bears the crown
    O the rising of the sun
    And the running of the deer
    The playing of the merry organ
    Sweet singing of the choir

In my calendar Ė a snowman

Morning

Work this morning, then I need to get the hoover and mop out - Scampi raced round the muddy garden a few times then ran through the kitchen, into the lounge then up the stairs. Luckily the bedroom doors were all closed Nothing else is planned but if I finish early enough I'll make a start on tomorrow's jobs.

Bulletproof
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 4th Dec 17, 7:31 AM
    • 3,586 Posts
    • 41,772 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:31 AM
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:31 AM
    Morning All

Can't believe it's Monday already, the weekend goes too fast.

Washing just about dried outside yesterday which was a bonus. Lovely christmas dinner at friends, their other friend who was there used to live in Asia and gave me some Malaysian currency, so kind and so useful, I'll have a drink on her!

Netball match after school today, at least it's at home so shouldn't be too late. After that I'll have to come home and do a bit of cleaning, didn't do any over the weekend.

Happy Monday, take care. XX
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 4th Dec 17, 8:01 AM
    • 15,611 Posts
    • 127,504 Thanks
    JackieO
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:01 AM
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:01 AM
    Good Morning everyone and thanks for the kick start nmlc.
    Well its dry but cloudy and quite mild at the moment here in Kent, No shopping for me today as I have enough in the fridge to keep me OK for the moment I dislike shopping at the best of times and can't be doing with all the pushing and shoving of the big supermarkets at all.I only need a couple of things and they aren't that urgent that I can't do without them

Dinner is sorted left over veg and defrosted y/s steak for me tonight ,with some rice pud for pudding I made a big bowl of it in the SC and it will do for several days

General pottering about day today until I go to DDs mid afternoon for the boys I may make them some melting moments biscuits as a treat as they are good lads. DGS Ben will be home from Uni on the 15th and I am looking forward to feeding him up with some cake and biscuits as he loves HM stuff.

This morning I guess I should start wrapping a few bits and pieces as its only another 3 weeks to go. I have a machine wash to go on but it will go on the airer in the conservatory as I don't think its dry enough for the line and very little wind at the moment.

Hope you all have a good week and the time seems to be whizzing by at the moment.

lovely to see Tru's Christmas carol every morning, quite the tradition now Tru well done Far nicer I think than the supermarkets droaning songs I loather the screeching ITS CHRISTMAS song with a passion I would much rather hear a nice traditional carol but then I am of the 'old biddy' age

Cheers chums

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 4th Dec 17, 8:11 AM
    • 3,247 Posts
    • 38,822 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Morning all

Thanks for the thread nmlc, thanks for the Carol Tru, hugs to AOD, that's why I retired in October, it was the constant nitpicking and jibes about my age.

I'm hoping to earn £50 this morning doing market research, it will only take half an hour.

Apart from that it's cleaning and crochet.

Have a good day all.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 4th Dec 17, 8:14 AM
    • 5,956 Posts
    • 35,503 Thanks
    Gers
    Morning everyone.

Lots of low grey cloud outside and damp cold air.

All was calm yesterday, I rose late and only grappled with some paperwork before a neighbour called round with a Ďthank youí note from her son. I bought him a lego advent calendar which got him very excited.

I set up my new laptop and then found it takes ages to fire up, the last time I did it the time lapse was almost ten minutes. Canít be doing with that so itís probably going back! Iíll give it one more chance.

Once dressed Iíll be going into college to get on with all my assessments which again need writing up. Iím getting nearer to deciding not to continue next year, too much of my time is being taken up with it and Iím just not enjoying it as I used to. And I can see my DM needing more of me as well.

Tru - thanks for the early morning cheer.

Happy Monday to all.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 4th Dec 17, 8:48 AM
    • 1,758 Posts
    • 13,817 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning all,

It's been a while, just been a busy boy.

Hope everyone is well.

Went to the gym this morning despite feeling tired, feel much better now. Football tonight and omelette for dinner.

Need to hand my car back in January so the quest for a new car begins. Need to go and see around a showroom during the week. Keen to keep costs to a minimum on that front even though I have a soft spot for cars.

tru - Awww I forgot about your daily christmas song!! Getting me right in the spirit.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 4th Dec 17, 8:58 AM
    • 237 Posts
    • 2,684 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    Good morning all

Thank you nmlc for starting us off

Holly hope you can get results from your Dr today.

Judi, hugs

ancientofdays
    what can I say, hugs

tru
    thank you for the carol, although it brought back memories from when I was a small child at school. We had to stand up and sing The holly and the ivy, on our own. I was chosen first, I didn't know the words and had trouble reading. The teacher shouted enough and other children laughed. I can still remember the feeling.

Hope you all have a good day
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 4th Dec 17, 9:01 AM
    • 12,166 Posts
    • 35,675 Thanks
    Nelski
    Good morning beautiful people

Tru im loving your carols and agree with mama JackieO they are so much nicer than the overplayed Slade or Wham
    AOD big hugs you are as young as you feel and I reckon at the end of today you will feel 40 again
    Judi I know how you feel and its so rude. My step nephew was 13 when the brother got married again and every year for birthday and christmas I would send money or amazon vouchers and never once got a word of thanks I stopped being so stupid this year as he is in his twenties now and knows how to pick a phone up or write a quick email. When I was a kid my mum used to make us sit down and write personal notes to all gift givers

Well Monday again what happened there then No work for me today in fact it starts to dry up now till after christmas ...nobody wants to go on a training course the week before christmas and that includes me Few bits in the diary to keep the wolf from the door but MSE becomes even more important when there isnt much money coming in.

Got a lovely day planned though I am meeting up with 2 school friends who I haven't seen since I was 16. One of them found me on facebook via the stroke association that I joined when Dad was ill. Anyway shes in contact with another of my old friends so we are getting together to catch up those nearly 40 years We are going to our local Miller and Carter which I love ...so much for saving money!

Anyway best crack on have a good day all
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 4th Dec 17, 9:09 AM
    • 1,772 Posts
    • 16,618 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning (((((((((Hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

Its Brrrr this morning, frost on the roofs.....I have washing to go out once I can screw myself to go out.

No idea what I am going to do this morning, still not got used to not having to clean Mondays and Fridays, feel a bit like a sparepart at the laundry!!

Shed should be delivered tomorrow. OH is up to take the call, no way are they delivering before 7.30 and they need to carry it round the back.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 4th Dec 17, 9:11 AM
    • 1,741 Posts
    • 20,691 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Morning everyone and thanks for the carol TRU.

Glad to read that you enjoyed the visit Holly how thoughtful of them to bring the meals.
    Hugs for AOD and Judi.

Dry, bright and cold today, the WM is doing its thing so hopefully the clothes can go out outside for a few hours, can always finish off on the airers. Other than that it's a chores day to get the house straight and then over to see lUlu this afternoon.
    The service at the hospice was smashing, they held it outside and had a brass band plus a choir so we all sang some carols and then listened to a couple of readings. The hospice chaplain (who Mum really liked) was so eloquent and inevitably I cried but it felt carthatic to let the tears flow. The final prayer was,
    Let us go into the world, glad that we have loved,
    Free to mourn for those we have lost,
    Free to hold each other in our human frailty
    And empowered to live life to the full.

Have a good day folks x
    Last edited by LaineyT; 04-12-2017 at 9:30 AM.
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 4th Dec 17, 9:29 AM
    • 978 Posts
    • 11,865 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    Morning all

Dry here but dull this morning. Rubbish night's sleep Thank you Tru for the carol it cheered me up no end.

Hugs to Judi and AOD. Holly H look after yourself. Gers I have heard the strain in your posts. Taking back time for you and DM seems like a good idea. Hugs.

DH is chauffer today for DD and DGS. They are going to the railway at Bitton to see Father Christmas and ride on a train. That will be the third visit to FC this weekend-what is she doing? Although the other two were school fairs. DH will wait on the station and watch the trains as £11 per seat is too expensive. The present is £5 on top. I refused to go, so I am having a peaceful morning here. Another cup of coffee beckons.

DS is coming in for his usual Monday night dinner. We will have cauliflower and broccoli cheese with sausages.

Lainey after reading your post I have leaky eyes. Bless.

Well have a good day folks. hugs and spoons all round.

Gintot
    Last edited by Gintotmelinda; 04-12-2017 at 9:35 AM.
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
    • elona
    • By elona 4th Dec 17, 9:52 AM
    • 11,306 Posts
    • 60,554 Thanks
    elona
    Gers

I think you are making the right decision as it did sound as if things were getting you down.

Tru

Thanks for the carol and advent picture

DDs are talking of staging an intervention for me as I have bought a few things from QVC. Hope they are joking!

Have not have breakfast yet but have some home made bread to use up as toast. It came up half the height and very heavy so I have chucked out the yeast and bought new. Determined to keep practising until I can get the bread machine to produce a good loaf again.

DDs have put up the tree but will add some more decorations next week when they pop round. They are really looking forward to having a well decorated table at Christmas so I found some pretty gold charger plates at tkmaximus and napkin rings - just hoping they arrive before Christmas.

Waiting in for a phone call and a parcel to be delivered so just mooching around today and doing a bit of wrapping etc. and having lots of hot drinks.

I still have dinner party chicken and veg from yesterday so can have that for lunch and will raid the freezer for food for tonight as I am trying to make space.

Hugs to all
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 4th Dec 17, 10:11 AM
    • 1,772 Posts
    • 16,618 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning everyone and thanks for the carol TRU.

Let us go into the world, glad that we have loved,
    Free to mourn for those we have lost,
    Free to hold each other in our human frailty
    And empowered to live life to the full.

Have a good day folks x
    Originally posted by LaineyT
    Lainey those words moved me to tears as we come up to the anniversary of my youngest sons death.

We talk about him every day. My Grand daughter had photographs of people who were not able to be at her wedding in frames at the ceremony and the meal afterwards. She was very close to Uncle Nick.
    • RosyRed
    • By RosyRed 4th Dec 17, 11:15 AM
    • 1,681 Posts
    • 20,139 Thanks
    RosyRed
    Morning all,

Busy weekend here with the DGC. DS2s ex who is now married to a lovely man and expecting was meant to be induced yesterday,a couple of weeks early due to problems shes been having,but started off on her own on Friday night.

Best laid plans and all that,DS2 was meant to be having DGS over a couple of days in case it was a long labour.He had gone out for a pint with an old friend who is over from abroad and rang here to say DGS might be being dropped off.Anyway he must have fallen asleep at his other Grandmas so stayed there and came earlyish Saturday after a quick visit to see his new brother but to be fair seemed more interested in the present baby brother gave him DS was up early this morning to take him to Grandmas so she could take him to nursery school,hopefully Mum & baby will be home later today. They get on fine (DS & ex) now,just couldn't live together!

We decided to get all the decs and tree down on Saturday so the children could help so they were very excited and we are looking very festive .DGD was mad keen to make Xmas biscuits so we did that too.
    They both had colds earlier in the week and I've got it now .DS got the chance of a few hours work yesterday afternoon so he took DGD home at lunchtime and I looked after DGS while DH made the tea,roast pork & the trimmings,and we had bought a panetonne for Bread and butter pud,which was yummy.

DH and DS2 have been waiting to start a job for ages ,the client is doing a lot himself then they were doing the dormer window/roof.Started today and just popped home,apparently the floor inside isnt finished yet so not sure how much they can do yet. Realistically this is the last work before Xmas ( snap Nelski ) so they really could do with it finishing and getting some money in.

Glad the kitchen is nearly done RR- been there several times
    Ah Lainey ,bless,the 1st Christmas is such an emotional time after you have lost a loved one-hugs (Csarina and Nelski too)

I am taking it easy today as I still feel a bit rough/sneezy,but slept well. I'll just put the toys away,and I want to get the rest of my cards finished and ready to go, then is a new 'Outlander' episode on Prime so I'll be watching that later in front of the log burner

Hope you all have a good day xx
    'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

228Posts Today

1,538Users online

Martin's Twitter