Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nicetomeetyou
    • By nicetomeetyou 4th Dec 17, 3:25 AM
    • 31Posts
    • 9Thanks
    nicetomeetyou
    Am I finically better in supported living or living on my own?
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:25 AM
    Am I finically better in supported living or living on my own? 4th Dec 17 at 3:25 AM
    I live in supported living. Its 4 bedroom house close to town. The housing association fixes things quick. The other 2 tenants are nice. The staff are nice. I have a social worker. I get 21 hours one to one plus 55 shared hours a week shared between 2 other people

The thing that bothers me is the high turnover off staff. Since I've been here (7 years) I have seen 17 staff leave and some very good staff too. And the people who get funding now are on the severe end of behaviour disorders and with it being a 24/7 staffed complex they are more likely to be placed here. We had somebody who moved in recently and he lasted 9 weeks before he was moved to a enhanced property because his behaviour was so severe. I'm worried they are going to move somebody severe in again.

I'm thinking about moving out independently. Probably going to get a house under the housing association I'm already with but for sole occupancy. I could remain with the care company I'm with or go direct payments but I will lose the 'supported living lable'?

Do you think people under supported living are protected to some extent in the DWP more then people who live alone?. I know the criteria for support from social services is very hight. I have never been to a medical, Ever! My social worker fills all my disability forms in, my support living manager sends them written evidence and my appointee signs them. Do you think I would be worse off if I discontinued all support and moved in on my own because I'm unhappy with my current situation?

My social worker and supported living manager a dead set against me moving out plus I'm on CTO but I want too. I want more control of my life.
Page 1
    • _shel
    • By _shel 4th Dec 17, 5:48 AM
    • 1,091 Posts
    • 1,853 Thanks
    _shel
    • 4th Dec 17, 5:48 AM
    • 4th Dec 17, 5:48 AM
    This sounds familiar
    Thanks to everyone who posts competitions
    • sammyjammy
    • By sammyjammy 4th Dec 17, 8:31 AM
    • 4,235 Posts
    • 4,583 Thanks
    sammyjammy
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:31 AM
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:31 AM
    I think you should listen to what they are telling you, they have your best interests in mind.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 4th Dec 17, 8:40 AM
    • 60,932 Posts
    • 355,902 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:40 AM
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:40 AM
    While where you're living isn't "that great" with those people passing through, the fact is that it's better than the cold harsh world of living alone. At least now, while you have troublesome people and ever-changing staff, somebody is sorting things out and sorting out your problem neighbours. You won't get that if you live alone. You'd be isolated, insecure, nobody seeing/sorting things out at all, nobody covering your back, no over-seeing eye getting things organised/fixed.

The outside world is very harsh and unforgiving for people without any needs.

Better the devil you know in all honesty.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 4th Dec 17, 12:14 PM
    • 16,575 Posts
    • 29,000 Thanks
    Ames
    • 4th Dec 17, 12:14 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 12:14 PM
    A lot of people would love the level of support you get. It's highly unlikely that you'd get anywhere near 21 hours of support in the community.

As we explained last time, you'd be much worse off financially because of everything you'd have to pay that you get free now.

Plus, given your circumstances you probably wouldn't be allowed to live on your own, especially if you're planning to use this as a way to get the freedom to run off to India.

As always - comply with treatment and concentrate on improving your health.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Reading the alphabet in 2017. 21/100
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    • nicetomeetyou
    • By nicetomeetyou 5th Dec 17, 5:37 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    nicetomeetyou
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:37 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:37 PM
    I just feel trapped. I will play along with it then if they take me off my appointeeship I will travel to india. I haven't been section in 17 months so things are going good

Thank you for replies
    • Ames
    • By Ames 5th Dec 17, 11:19 PM
    • 16,575 Posts
    • 29,000 Thanks
    Ames
    • 5th Dec 17, 11:19 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 11:19 PM
    I just feel trapped. I will play along with it then if they take me off my appointeeship I will travel to india. I haven't been section in 17 months so things are going good

Thank you for replies
    Originally posted by nicetomeetyou
    Instead of playing along with it wouldn't your rather work to get better so that you can go to India when you're healthy? It wouldn't be a good place to be when you're ill.

A lot of people would love to have access to the help you've got. Please don't waste this opportunity.

• phillw
    • By phillw 6th Dec 17, 12:45 AM
    • 1,025 Posts
    • 607 Thanks
    phillw
    • 6th Dec 17, 12:45 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 12:45 AM
    Do you think I would be worse off if I discontinued all support and moved in on my own
    Originally posted by nicetomeetyou
    Yes, if you don't need the support then DWP would argue that there is nothing stopping you from working.

What do you plan on doing in India?
    • Ames
    • By Ames 6th Dec 17, 11:39 AM
    • 16,575 Posts
    • 29,000 Thanks
    Ames
    • 6th Dec 17, 11:39 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 11:39 AM
    Has anybody dealt with Court of Protection before with regards to somebody deemed to lack capacity over finances? Can you appeal it, do I have the chance to fight against it?

I have just came out of hospital after 6 weeks on a section 3, I have a learning disability and schizoaffective disorder, they are saying (social services and psychiatrist) that when I have money I get drunk all the time that worsens my voices and I listen to them and do daft things to myself and I can potentially save enough money to go to India and become a Buddhist Monk and save the world which they say is a delusion.

They are getting a Court of protection on me. Can they stop me going aboard?
    Originally posted by davidplans
    Yes, if you don't need the support then DWP would argue that there is nothing stopping you from working.

What do you plan on doing in India?
    Originally posted by phillw
    The above post is by the OP under a previous username.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

232Posts Today

1,457Users online

Martin's Twitter