Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • richje100
    • By richje100 3rd Dec 17, 11:08 PM
    • 52Posts
    • 6Thanks
    richje100
    What's my rights
    • 3rd Dec 17, 11:08 PM
    What's my rights 3rd Dec 17 at 11:08 PM
    Hi guys. Long story short bought a tv last year and I've dropped it off to be repaired. The shop will be sending it to the manufacturer. Shop has told me if it can't be repaired they can't replace as they no longer sell that tv but also because an equivalent is about £70-100 more than I paid.
    The shop has said they will give me store credit to the value of the tv I bought.
    I'm sure I can demand a refund if they are not willing to swap it for another tv? If they will swap it for an equivalent can they ask for the difference in cost?.
    Thanks
Page 1
    • NCC-1707
    • By NCC-1707 3rd Dec 17, 11:33 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    NCC-1707
    • 3rd Dec 17, 11:33 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 11:33 PM
    You've had almost a year if not more of use of the TV. They can take that into consideration when offering a refund and reduce it accordingly. Don't demand..be nice and ask if they'll maybe reduce the price of the equivalent TV and meet you halfway so you pay £35- £50 for it?
    • richje100
    • By richje100 3rd Dec 17, 11:35 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    richje100
    • 3rd Dec 17, 11:35 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 11:35 PM
    You've had almost a year if not more of use of the TV. They can take that into consideration when offering a refund and reduce it accordingly. Don't demand..be nice and ask if they'll maybe reduce the price of the equivalent TV and meet you halfway so you pay £35- £50 for it?
    Originally posted by NCC-1707
    Thats a great idea. Ive read that they can take into consideration the use I've had but will see what happens. Thanks
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 4th Dec 17, 7:02 AM
    • 3,438 Posts
    • 5,865 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:02 AM
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:02 AM
    Technically you are allowed a cash refund and shouldn’t be forced into accepting store credit, however they often offer more as store credit than as a cash refund so it’s then up to you to decide whether you’d prefer the full price you originally paid but as store credit or a cash refund with a deduction made for the use you’ve had of the TV for you to then spend elsewhere.
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 4th Dec 17, 9:00 AM
    • 4,063 Posts
    • 4,429 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:00 AM
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:00 AM
    If you want a cash refund, don’t expect it to be the full amount you paid for. The store are entitled to reduce the refund for the use you have had out of it, somewhere near 20% for a years use.

You can try demanding something your not entitled to but don’t expect a a good outcome,

You say the equivalent is more expensive but have you looked at alternative makers TVs of similar spec?
    • richje100
    • By richje100 4th Dec 17, 9:22 AM
    • 52 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    richje100
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:22 AM
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:22 AM
    If you want a cash refund, donít expect it to be the full amount you paid for. The store are entitled to reduce the refund for the use you have had out of it, somewhere near 20% for a years use.

You can try demanding something your not entitled to but donít expect a a good outcome,

You say the equivalent is more expensive but have you looked at alternative makers TVs of similar spec?
    Originally posted by Keep pedalling
    Hi, they said it was end of line hence why it was on offer but their 32 inch tv's now start from £250 Off which is £70 more than I paid so I wouldn't get one even a lower spec for a similar price I paid
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,726Posts Today

7,218Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin