Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • timeless
    • By timeless 3rd Dec 17, 9:26 PM
    • 111Posts
    • 14Thanks
    timeless
    Journey planning (specifically Trains and timetables)
    • 3rd Dec 17, 9:26 PM
    Journey planning (specifically Trains and timetables) 3rd Dec 17 at 9:26 PM
    long story short l have my trains booked, however lm looking for an app to help me further, basically when l booked through the trainline before it gave me pretty much told me exactly what platforms l needed to be at and when l had to catch my connections.

essentially lm looking for that kind of capability and the ability to save my journey, because its a pain using the trainline app to lookup if you havent booked through them. the plan is to simplify my trip so much so that l dont need to waste time visiting customer services to find out where l need to be.
Page 1
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 3rd Dec 17, 9:33 PM
    • 11,725 Posts
    • 7,940 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 3rd Dec 17, 9:33 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 9:33 PM
    And which country is this?
    • timeless
    • By timeless 3rd Dec 17, 9:48 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    timeless
    • 3rd Dec 17, 9:48 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 9:48 PM
    UK obviously.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 3rd Dec 17, 10:02 PM
    • 18,352 Posts
    • 7,591 Thanks
    richardw
    • 3rd Dec 17, 10:02 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 10:02 PM
    National Rail
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 3rd Dec 17, 10:08 PM
    • 7,197 Posts
    • 5,602 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 3rd Dec 17, 10:08 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 10:08 PM
    National Rail live departure boards website.

For more accurate info on actual train running times on the day. Realtimetrains.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 3rd Dec 17, 11:40 PM
    • 7,936 Posts
    • 8,055 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 3rd Dec 17, 11:40 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 11:40 PM
    UK obviously.
    Originally posted by timeless
    When did the UK become a foreign country?
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 4th Dec 17, 2:40 AM
    • 7,307 Posts
    • 9,052 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 4th Dec 17, 2:40 AM
    • 4th Dec 17, 2:40 AM
    When did the UK become a foreign country?
    Originally posted by pogofish
    I think it comes under the "Travel Planning" part of the forum title.
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 4th Dec 17, 10:01 AM
    • 4,949 Posts
    • 3,583 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    • 4th Dec 17, 10:01 AM
    • 4th Dec 17, 10:01 AM
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • elverson
    • By elverson 4th Dec 17, 3:52 PM
    • 719 Posts
    • 456 Thanks
    elverson
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:52 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:52 PM
    Allocated platforms can change day to day, so it's best to check the departure board at the station.

Also don't bother using the Trainline as they charge avoidable booking fees.
    • Neil49
    • By Neil49 4th Dec 17, 6:30 PM
    • 1,222 Posts
    • 595 Thanks
    Neil49
    I'm currently travelling on a train from Paddington and they didn't know which platform the train was leaving from until 5 minutes before it was due to depart so my advice is not to rely on the information you manage to obtain.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 4th Dec 17, 7:00 PM
    • 18,761 Posts
    • 14,469 Thanks
    agrinnall
    I'm currently travelling on a train from Paddington and they didn't know which platform the train was leaving from until 5 minutes before it was due to depart so my advice is not to rely on the information you manage to obtain.
    Originally posted by Neil49
    The information may not have been displayed until 5 minutes before departure but that doesn't necessarily mean the station doesn't know what platform it'll be on long before that. The same happened to me at Euston last week, but the Virgin website was showing the correct platform several hours before the train was due to depart.
    • t0rt0ise
    • By t0rt0ise 5th Dec 17, 12:45 AM
    • 2,935 Posts
    • 1,802 Thanks
    t0rt0ise
    Modern day problem! Can’t cope without an app. You could always print the information off or write it down before you start the journey, but then check platform numbers at the station in case they change.
    • timeless
    • By timeless 5th Dec 17, 6:50 AM
    • 111 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    timeless
    lve done that before, and the platform changed by the time l got there (the second time it happened ld booked my tickets through thetrainline but the app had updated my booking to inform me that l had a bus connection instead.

either way l have printed out my journey, but its nice to have access to possible delays and or changes that l wouldnt have gotten from a pint out.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 5th Dec 17, 9:10 AM
    • 7,300 Posts
    • 4,079 Thanks
    martindow
    The old GW app used to give platform info before it appeared on the boards, but the new one gives platforms at the same time as the boards on the concourse.

As mentioned, it is known further in advance but they want to hold back passengers while cleaning and ticket reservations are done.

You can find out the usual platform by looking at real time information for the train you are booked on on different days beforehand. This lets you hover in front of this platform listening out for announcements in case there are changes.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

215Posts Today

1,340Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin