Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 3rd Dec 17, 8:19 PM
    • 2,405Posts
    • 34,603Thanks
    Natty68
    Weekly Flylady Thread 4th December 2017
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:19 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 4th December 2017 3rd Dec 17 at 8:19 PM
    WOOHOO IT IS .....DECEMBER.....

What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Right now the thread is looking very quiet...but please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Valli for last week's thread.

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please donít stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
    WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
    MAD half hour
    - Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
    The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

So here goes this week:
    Monday ~ Grotty Kitchen and Gloomy Dining Room
    Level One...
    Declutter and mop/vacuum the floors
    Find and wipe the worksurfaces
    Level Two...
    Wipe the big appliances and units.. don't forget kickboards!
    Wipe small appliances and replace.. do one thoroughly.. descale or decrumb or degunge!Clear and wipe a shelf or window sill
    Level Three...
    Wipe the table and replace the cloth if necessary.
    Sort through and clean out one cupboard
    Clean the oven and hob.. or if you really canít face it how about getting someone in to clean it for you.. I am!!!!
    MAD half hour Ė Sort out gifts for teachers or friends. Do you need to give Christmas Boxes to milkmen, window cleaners etc?I know I need to sort out a Christmas Box for my lovely postman, who is very good and even knows when I am up and about now so he can deliver any parcels

Extras
    • Don't forget any cards and presents posted!
    • Check through Christmas ornaments, do any need throwing away or replacing. Last thing you want when you decorate your tree is to find broken ornaments!!!
    • Clean out the fridge.. make use of anything almost past its best
    • Wash the windows
    • Clean the top of the kitchen wall units.. if you can reach.. no accidents please!!
    • Dust and Deweb
    • How are you doing with your Nov/Dec pledges? Are we all nearing the finish line?

Christmas Extras
    • Finalise those last minute presents you have to buy..
    • Wrap all the presents for family/friends
    • Finalise shopping orders/lists for your christmas food shop.. remember shops are only closed for one day!!!!

Tuesday ~ Luscious Living Room, hallway, stairs
    Level One...

Clear the floor of clutter
    Tidy the baubles and lights on the tree.. OR PUT UP YOUR TREE
    Level Two...
    Vacuum the stairs and hallway and living room
    Wipe and water plants
    Wash the windows
    Level Three...
    Wipe the sofas and wash any skanky soft furnishings
    Sort coats, shoes and bags
    Wipe the paintwork in the hallway and up the stairs.

Extras
    • Check the smoke alarms
    • Fill a binbag for charity shop
    • Finalise your christmas menu and shopping list
    • Defluff and deweb these rooms

Christmas Extras
    • Stick any cards up..
    • Christmas wrapping, try and get at least a few done
    • Replace the batteries in your annoying singing things, if you have any. Or haven't done what I did last year - threw them in the bin!!!!!
    • Make a receipts envelope for all the receipts from Christmas presents, just incase anything needs to go back

Thursday ~ Master messroom! and landing
    Level One...

Strip the bedding and get it washed!
    Level Two...
    30 minutes floordrobe/junk clearing!
    Vacuum and turn the mattress, vacuum the landing and floor
    Remake the bed
    Clean the windows
    Level Three...
    Wash any curtains/etc that are in need
    Wipe down all the furry paintwork
    Fill a binbag for charity shop or the bin!

Extras
    • HHI
    • Update remaining present lists
    • Collect all the dirty laundry from upstairs
    • Clean out any pets/wash pet bedding
    • Wash some light shades

Christmas Extras
    • Make a timetable for christmas prepartions.. turkey in.. turkey out.. etc
    • Spend 30 minutes just having time for yourself, whatever it is doing, because we probably won't have time next week
    • Chase up any deliveries you are waiting for that have not arrived
    • Update remaining present lists

Friday - Let's play catchy-up
    Level One...

S&S the kitchen and bathroom
    Spend 30 minute pampering yourself!!
    Level Two...
    Catch up the the window washing
    Catch up on the floor mopping/vacuuming
    Catch up on the dewebbing and dusting!
    Level Three...
    Collect ALL the dirty laundry from about the house inc and bedding that needs changing..
    Spend 15 minutes on your filing
    Clean ALL the filters and drawers etc on the kitchen appliances

Extras
    • Wipe down ALL the paintwork you keep putting off
    • Choose a manky kitchen cupboard and make it shine.. the inside.. NOT the outside!
    • Clean out any pets/wash pet bedding
    • Clean the pantry or airing cupboard or understairs cupboard or shed..

Christmas Extras
    • Post all the cards you need to post. Last posting dates are drawing very close.
    • Wipe out the freezer.. defrost if needed!!
    • Straighten the baubles and lights on the christmas tree.. and if you haven't done it.. get it up stop being such a humbug!
    • Write and send christmas cards!!
    • Update remaining present lists!!!
    • Wrap some more presents..
    • Make a timetable for christmas prepartions.. turkey in.. turkey out.. etc!!!
    Last edited by Natty68; 08-12-2017 at 5:23 AM.

Struggling financially

Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
Page 2
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 4th Dec 17, 2:34 PM
    • 10,051 Posts
    • 108,003 Thanks
    LameWolf
    We have our cheese.
    We buy from a stall at the monthly Farmers Market; have been doing so for years. All their cheese is made with veggie rennet, so it doesn't upset my stomach, and it's really delicious. What had happened was the stallholder wasn't going to be there in December and January, but as we're old and valued customers, he took our requirement via email and arranged to drop it off with a pal of his in a nearby village, and that's where we collected it from today, Stoke Hammond being very much closer to us than Earlswood. We don't have any meat or fish, so cheese is a useful basis for a lot of our meals; and Mr LW would eat cheese til the cows came home!

We also stopped off at S/Drug for my morphine tablets, and @ldi for milk and a few other bits. I've stocked up as far as I can, so that I don't have to do a large grocery shop while the Xmas Feeding Frenzy is on. All we should need now before Xmas is more milk, and Mr LW can go and get that on his own.

Talking of a RoD - I guess mine is the "spare room" which is currently masquerading as an auxiliary larder. Everything is all neat and tidy in crates, though.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 4th Dec 17, 2:55 PM
    • 4,387 Posts
    • 35,767 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    Aaagh just typed out a post and lost it!!! So instead of waffling on I will tell you that I have done 4 hours at job no. 1, been to Li@l for party food before they sell it all, hung a load of washing out and put another load in and had a quick tidy. Chicken in oven for tea.

Love cheese but DH doesnt eat it (or eggs, mushrooms, salad or most other veg) which can make mealplanning hard work.

Right, more paid stuff to do x
    • Narc0lepsy
    • By Narc0lepsy 4th Dec 17, 4:55 PM
    • 1,455 Posts
    • 21,000 Thanks
    Narc0lepsy
    I will be in though I doubt I will get anything done tomorrow.

My niece is doing a sponsored swim tomorrow in memory. A year.

Special thanks to all those wonderful hospice staff and volunteers.
    Originally posted by Valli
    thinking of you and all those lovely memories. x
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
    • Narc0lepsy
    • By Narc0lepsy 4th Dec 17, 4:56 PM
    • 1,455 Posts
    • 21,000 Thanks
    Narc0lepsy
    I'm here - thanks Natty

I have been reading the thread but not posting as all I'm doing is the basics and trying to make it to the end of term.
    Originally posted by froddington
    You'll be able to count it in hours soon!!
    • Narc0lepsy
    • By Narc0lepsy 4th Dec 17, 5:04 PM
    • 1,455 Posts
    • 21,000 Thanks
    Narc0lepsy
    Struggled through an assessment, poor lady I hope she doesn't catch my cold as I feel absolutely carp; thought it was getting better yesterday.
    Went to PO so flycards on their way, also foreign cards. Took forever, our village PO has just changed hands - I'm sure the guy is lovely but still under training so everything had to be measured, weighed, recorded to within an inch of its life. Asked the value of the flycard "parcel"......
    Checked freezer to take out tomorrow's dinner; it is the flower club Xmas demo so I usually host a slow-cooked something for 4 of us beforehand. Curses only 2 chicken pieces. We've got half an hour's dance lesson this eve, so will buy more on the way. Not that I feel like dancing.
    Updated a few non-working bits on laptop and it all seems to be ok.
    Not much else to report, had decluttered the lounge for the assessment but it now has piles of paper in it.
    10 or so fairies visiting bird feeders on a daily basis now so it must be winter.
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 4th Dec 17, 5:35 PM
    • 36,166 Posts
    • 466,175 Thanks
    pigpen
    2x WM
    2 xTD
    DS3's presents wrapped while he was at college.. *sneeeaaaaaky*
    Girls picked up
    Dance class forgotten.. so after wailing for a bit Squeak is now working her way rather rapidly through Gobbolino the Witches Cat..

Off to do food and then away they can go to bed!

Twinkle is full of cold and not a happy little chicken
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    06/06/2017 £56823.12 (5.15% int.)
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 4th Dec 17, 6:38 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 4,554 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Gobbolino the Witches Cat, food and bed - sounds like my ideal evening!
    Superbly carp night's 'sleep' last night, so I am now flagging. Most of today at work has been spent in a rather chilly warehouse stock taking, which was preferable to being deskbound but this evening will definitely be on the sofa. I have a lot of admin frogs to nibble away at, and want to get some cards written. DH is out so no excuses really. I'll have to catch up on the lists tomorrow, as the kitchen and dining room are decidedly neglected. Luckily I swiped the cobweb off the lampshade on my way out this morning, as that has been my entire flying for the day!
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 4th Dec 17, 7:01 PM
    • 23,375 Posts
    • 90,871 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Kitchen clean.

Bed Made.

Washing all done.

Living Room - mehhhhhhhhhh, let's talk about something else.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • Lover of Lycra
    • By Lover of Lycra 4th Dec 17, 7:05 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 359 Thanks
    Lover of Lycra
    Good evening everyone

As soon as I got in from work this evening I was on it. I recently treated myself to a new Brabantia ironing board. My mum has had one for ages and likes hers, well as much as anyone can like an ironing board. I though it would encourage me to do some ironing since I've ironed 3, maybe 4, no 3 times in my entire life.
    [/COLOR]
    Monday ~ Grotty Kitchen and Gloomy Dining Room
    Level One...
    Declutter and mop/vacuum the floors
    Find and wipe the worksurfaces
    Level Two...
    Wipe the big appliances and units.. don't forget kickboards!
    Wipe small appliances and replace.. do one thoroughly.. descale or decrumb or degunge!Clear and wipe a shelf or window sill
    Level Three...
    Wipe the table and replace the cloth if necessary.
    Sort through and clean out one cupboard
    Clean the oven and hob.. or if you really canít face it how about getting someone in to clean it for you.. I am!!!!
    What to do with my MAD half hour? Maybe some ironing.

Extras
    • Clean out the fridge.. make use of anything almost past its best
    • Wash the windows
    • Dust and Deweb
    I have done diddly squat for Christmas so far. Well I did get the tree out the attic, put it up and checked the lights were working yesterday. I have a vague idea about what to buy people for Christmas (my list to buy for is very short) and one of the reasons behind my mum's visit this weekend is to do some Christmas shopping.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 4th Dec 17, 8:14 PM
    • 10,051 Posts
    • 108,003 Thanks
    LameWolf
    I have done diddly squat for Christmas so far. Well I did get the tree out the attic, put it up and checked the lights were working yesterday.
    Originally posted by Lover of Lycra
    You're further on than I am, then. Still haven't done the cards; and they need to be there by 21st!!

Mr LW's birthday tomorrow, so I expect sweet f a will get done then, too. For anyone who cares, he'll be 68.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Lover of Lycra
    • By Lover of Lycra 4th Dec 17, 8:56 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 359 Thanks
    Lover of Lycra
    Arghhhh

How do you fold fitted sheets? No matter how many YouTube videos I watch I cannot get th hang of folding the bloody things. My cleaner was amazing at it. Maybe I should rethink this flying solo.
    • dancemum
    • By dancemum 4th Dec 17, 10:01 PM
    • 2,059 Posts
    • 30,062 Thanks
    dancemum
    Thinking of you and yours Valli X

It is ds1's 21st birthday tomorrow.

Ground floor dysoned
    5x wm done
    Visited docs to fill in temp resident form for ds1 and then collected him later
    Haircut decluttered
    Ds2' school visited to collect my winnings from the Raffle. I won a very large chocolate hamper. I donated some of it to the staff room as it was too heavy for me to carry to the car.
    Mr S visited for nut free cake
    Relative visited to cuddle a baby. Baby likes me and kept smiling.

Felt to exhausted for tap tonight.

Thanks for the threads X
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 4th Dec 17, 10:22 PM
    • 2,405 Posts
    • 34,603 Thanks
    Natty68
    We found another bloody flea!!!!! more bathing and spraying of house today

Ironing pile cleared / drawer cleared

Got loads to do today so onwards and upwards

Thank you Natty for this week's lists and thank you Valli for last weeks
    Originally posted by donnajt
    Donna regarding the flea situation, the fleas are becoming immune to the Frontline. I've found Advantage to be very good, and it kills instantly. Also if you can get some Indorex from Amazon, this is a house spray, spray the house etc with this. It lasts 12 months and is very good, I can heartily recommend it. Also if you get it from Amazon it works out half the price of a vets practice. I also get our advantage from VetUK or somewhere like that and it is cheaper than the vets too. Hope this might help you ...

Struggling financially

Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 4th Dec 17, 11:57 PM
    • 23,375 Posts
    • 90,871 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Arghhhh

How do you fold fitted sheets? No matter how many YouTube videos I watch I cannot get th hang of folding the bloody things. My cleaner was amazing at it. Maybe I should rethink this flying solo.
    Originally posted by Lover of Lycra
    Poke your left hand into the corner with your Right hand so it sticks up.

Bring the next corner up to it with your right hand and match the point of the corners.

Keeping the two points together, push the edges of corner #2 with your right hand so that they are inside out, but covering the #1 corner that your left hand is still holding up. They make a neat shape.

Still keeping your left hand inside what is now two corners, reach down and lift up the next one with your right hand , flipping that over in the same way you did #2.

Reach down and bring up the last corner in the same direction with your right hand, and repeat.

Lay the sheet on the bed and adjust the sides so they are also straight.

Now it's resembling a square/rectangle with the strips that go along the sides of the mattress - the bits that make it 'fitted', making a L shape nearest you and along the top. It should be pretty much flat - it won't be perfect, but it'll lie pretty flat.

Fold it as normal.
    Last edited by Jojo the Tightfisted; 05-12-2017 at 12:06 AM.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

• Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 5th Dec 17, 12:00 AM
    • 23,375 Posts
    • 90,871 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    ______________________ L Hand pokes in here
    ___________________/ |
    ___________________ | |
    ___________________ | |
    ___________________ | | Bits that go along edge of mattress
    ___________________ | |
    ___________________|__|

Sorry, formatting is rubbish.

• pigpen
    • By pigpen 5th Dec 17, 12:37 AM
    • 36,166 Posts
    • 466,175 Thanks
    pigpen
    Donna regarding the flea situation, the fleas are becoming immune to the Frontline. I've found Advantage to be very good, and it kills instantly. Also if you can get some Indorex from Amazon, this is a house spray, spray the house etc with this. It lasts 12 months and is very good, I can heartily recommend it. Also if you get it from Amazon it works out half the price of a vets practice. I also get our advantage from VetUK or somewhere like that and it is cheaper than the vets too. Hope this might help you ...
    Originally posted by Natty68
    I use VetUK and Advantage for my mogs too as frontline doesn't touch them... they reduced the active ingredient so they could sell OTC rather than prescription only and rendered it useless..

Thing is one random flea could have boinged off the soft furnishings onto doggo and be in the process of dying.. it does take a while to clear a household infestation.. definitely more than a few days, as new bugs hatch they jump on doggo and die.. give it time.. and overdosing on flea medication can cause lasting neurological damage so please be careful with it!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    06/06/2017 £56823.12 (5.15% int.)
    • wouldbeqaulitymoneysaver2
    • By wouldbeqaulitymoneysaver2 5th Dec 17, 12:43 AM
    • 101 Posts
    • 183 Thanks
    wouldbeqaulitymoneysaver2
    I have quite a bit of housework to do in the Kitchen mainly.
    A whole wad of organic rubbish to dispose of.
    Masses of washing up to do to restore my cupboards which are now empty.
    But unlike in the past it is now something I can cope with whereas in the past...
    • gilly1964
    • By gilly1964 5th Dec 17, 5:49 AM
    • 981 Posts
    • 6,888 Thanks
    gilly1964
    Good Morning

I have been awake since silly oíclock

The dogs were crying to go out and I couldnít get back to sleep

It was lovely this morning going down to a very tidy kitchen, just work lunch to make and DW to go on

The lounge is reasonably okay until we start on the Christmas decorations. We have two lofts and one of them is only Christmas things.

Have a good day
    • Valli
    • By Valli 5th Dec 17, 6:33 AM
    • 20,162 Posts
    • 229,051 Thanks
    Valli
    Mad work day yesterday, there is no way I can keep on top of the job. So I am NOT even going to try. I am merely doing my best.
    Won Slimmer of the Week.
    Niece completed swim, raised over her target.
    Thanks for your thoughts etc, Flylady power has been such a support, over this whole period. Thank you x
    Make two - and freeze one!
    Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!
    DEBT ATTACK - Debts to attack 1-£6150.87 24/04/2017 £5303.03 22/07/2017 BT -
    £5342.65
    2 Virgin CC £585.88 31/7/2017 £494.88 11/8/2017
    • Lover of Lycra
    • By Lover of Lycra 5th Dec 17, 6:39 AM
    • 65 Posts
    • 359 Thanks
    Lover of Lycra
    Thank JoJo. That's the method most of the people on YouTube use as well but for some reason I couldn't get it last night. I had another bash this morning and this attempt was better....much more practice needed.

I've been awake since silly o'clock too gilly1964. Stomach cramps so I've decided to walk to work this morning as the endorphins should help prevent me from wanting to smash all the dishes in the office dishwasher since some people seem to think they are above emptying the bloody thing.

Happy thoughts. Think happy thoughts.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,971Posts Today

7,199Users online

Martin's Twitter