Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 3rd Dec 17, 8:13 PM
    • 3,348Posts
    • 2,069Thanks
    glider3560
    Birmingham Midshires - Barclays Sort Code?
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:13 PM
    Birmingham Midshires - Barclays Sort Code? 3rd Dec 17 at 8:13 PM
    I appreciate that LBG have recently resurrected the Birmingham Midshires brand for savings account (along with the rather aged looking application process and online banking), but I was a bit shocked to see they still use a Barclays sort code (20-97-78).

You could understand this as a building society, but surely as part of a larger banking group, it would make sense (financially, especially) to use an account at BoS or Lloyds to do the clearing?

Maybe I'm just overthinking it.

Page 1
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 3rd Dec 17, 9:11 PM
    • 7,308 Posts
    • 9,053 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 3rd Dec 17, 9:11 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 9:11 PM
    I appreciate that LBG have recently resurrected the Birmingham Midshires brand for savings account (along with the rather aged looking application process and online banking), but I was a bit shocked to see they still use a Barclays sort code (20-97-78).
    Originally posted by glider3560
    Resurrected? They've not stopped offering new products as far as I can recall.

You could understand this as a building society, but surely as part of a larger banking group, it would make sense (financially, especially) to use an account at BoS or Lloyds to do the clearing?

Maybe I'm just overthinking it.
    The unknowns are:

1) How much is the Barclays thing costing?
    2) How much would bringing it in house cost?
    3) How much would bringing it in house save?
    4) How much could the IT and implementation resource needed to deliver the change deliver in additional savings/profits elsewhere within LBG?

My guess is that it's on a list to change and because the gains are nominal given the size of BM other things will always get prioritised above it.
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 4th Dec 17, 4:27 PM
    • 4,279 Posts
    • 1,319 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    • 4th Dec 17, 4:27 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 4:27 PM
    I got the distinct impression that BM is run on separate systems from Bank of Scotland (Halifax) proper or even the wider LBG.

They never got a Halifax sort code when it was just owned by Halifax nor a even BOS sort code during the HBOS era.

They seem to have simply retained the brand/systems to be top of the best buy tables without cannibalising their main brands.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 4th Dec 17, 7:00 PM
    • 7,308 Posts
    • 9,053 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:00 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:00 PM
    I got the distinct impression that BM is run on separate systems from Bank of Scotland (Halifax) proper or even the wider LBG.

They never got a Halifax sort code when it was just owned by Halifax nor a even BOS sort code during the HBOS era.

They seem to have simply retained the brand/systems to be top of the best buy tables without cannibalising their main brands.
    Originally posted by Heng Leng
    That's precisely the strategy.

When they need retail funds.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

980Posts Today

5,794Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin