Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • crism
    • By crism 3rd Dec 17, 8:10 PM
    • 49Posts
    • 5Thanks
    crism
    Extension of a contract of employment - advice needed
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:10 PM
    Extension of a contract of employment - advice needed 3rd Dec 17 at 8:10 PM
    Hi all,

I need your opinion on extension of my contract of employment, which ends very beginning of next year.
    I am not sure how to read this, I am a bit worried about job security here.

My employers say in the contract extension: Ą...your contract has been extended for the duration of the work allocated to you as per the companyís current schedule, which is anticipated to end on (date)...Ē
    There is no guarantee that your employment will be extended beyond the end date specified in this agreement.Ē

What do you take out of this?

Thanks!

Page 1
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 3rd Dec 17, 8:16 PM
    • 18,833 Posts
    • 19,146 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:16 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:16 PM
    How long have you been working there?

In fact, it doesn't really mean anything, in my opinion. My thinking is this.

1. You have been there less than 2 years, and it will still be under 2 years when your extension ends.

You are in exactly the same position as an ordinary employed worker - they can get rid of you at any time for any reason.

2. You have been there less than 2 years, and it will over 2 years when your extension ends.

You are in exactly the same position as an ordinary employed worker - they can get rid of you at the end of your contract if they don't need you any more. But because you will have been employed continuously for 2 years, they will have to make you redundant. (They can decide, with any employed worker, that they don't need that post any more, and make the person redundant.)

3. You have been there over 2 years already.

You are in exactly the same position as an ordinary employed worker - they can get rid of you at the end of your contract if they don't need you any more. But because you have been employed continuously for 2 years, they will have to make you redundant.
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • crism
    • By crism 3rd Dec 17, 8:28 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    crism
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:28 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:28 PM
    Thanks for so quick reply!

Iíve been there for last year and this extension at its end will result in me being employed there for 2 years.

You are right, they can gt rid of me at any time giving one weeks notice, so I guess a real concern for me should be this, rather than a fictionary contract end date, which does not mean anything really.

On the other hand I wonder, how long do I have to be with a company to get a status of permanently employed? If I am not mistaken it is 4 years of continuous service?

Thanks again!

• ohreally
    • By ohreally 3rd Dec 17, 8:29 PM
    • 6,362 Posts
    • 4,866 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:29 PM
    Its ambiguous and should have been clarified at the time if necessary.

If I am not mistaken it is 4 years of continuous service?
    Originally posted by crism
    I've known staff to be on temp contracts for a lot longer than 4 years (NHS).
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 3rd Dec 17, 8:34 PM
    • 4,188 Posts
    • 6,903 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:34 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:34 PM
    After four years toy can ask to be permanent. But it's irrelevant. There's no such thing as a permanent contract. It's a fiction. You gain complete employment at two years, regardless of the name of the contract. But that only means you can't be unfairly dismissed in law.
    • crism
    • By crism 3rd Dec 17, 8:35 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    crism
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:35 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:35 PM
    Its ambiguous and should have been clarified at the time if necessary.

I've known staff to be on temp contracts for a lot longer than 4 years (NHS).
    Originally posted by ohreally
    Thanks.
    Isnít it a breach of employment law if it is still temp contract if above 4 years?

As for ambiguity of my contract extension: would you suggest clarifying before signing, or as jobbingmusician suggested - it doesn't really matter?

Thanks!

• sangie595
    • By sangie595 3rd Dec 17, 8:39 PM
    • 4,188 Posts
    • 6,903 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:39 PM
    Thanks.
    Isnít it a breach of employment law if it is still temp contract if above 4 years?

As for ambiguity of my contract extension: would you suggest clarifying before signing, or as jobbingmusician suggested - it doesn't really matter?

Thanks!
    No it isn't. I just explained that. You can ask at four years, but it isn't relevant anyhow. These are anachronistic laws that have been superseded.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 3rd Dec 17, 8:39 PM
    • 6,362 Posts
    • 4,866 Thanks
    ohreally
    I wouldn't get precious over it at this point but should the situation arise in the future then you may wish for clarity on the issue before progressing.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

458Posts Today

2,838Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin