Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Soph1988
    • By Soph1988 3rd Dec 17, 7:29 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Soph1988
    Purplebricks offer system and negotiation?
    • 3rd Dec 17, 7:29 PM
    Purplebricks offer system and negotiation? 3rd Dec 17 at 7:29 PM
    Hi all,

I'm a long term lurker and have avoided signing up until now - me and my partner are in the process of looking for our first house to buy. We have viewed a great property valued at £162500 and made an offer of £154,000 online via the PurpleBricks website.

Our offer was declined, which we assumed would happen and then the negotiation should start, right?

Instead our offer was declined and the seller left no comment or feedback as to why. I assume it was lower than they were hoping, but is it odd that the seller didn't come back with a request for a higher figure or suggest an amount they would be happy with? Isn't that the way these negotiations work?

I'm unclear on if this is just an odd way of offering (via online messaging really!) or whether this is just how it is done now - do we just go back with a higher offer, do we throw our final offer price at it or do we walk away? Do we call Purplebricks on Monday and ask them for feedback?

Any advice appreciated!
Page 2
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 4th Dec 17, 12:05 PM
    • 4,930 Posts
    • 3,937 Thanks
    glentoran99
    Hi all,

I'm a long term lurker and have avoided signing up until now - me and my partner are in the process of looking for our first house to buy. We have viewed a great property valued at £162500 and made an offer of £154,000 online via the PurpleBricks website.

Our offer was declined, which we assumed would happen and then the negotiation should start, right?

Instead our offer was declined and the seller left no comment or feedback as to why. I assume it was lower than they were hoping, but is it odd that the seller didn't come back with a request for a higher figure or suggest an amount they would be happy with? Isn't that the way these negotiations work?

I'm unclear on if this is just an odd way of offering (via online messaging really!) or whether this is just how it is done now - do we just go back with a higher offer, do we throw our final offer price at it or do we walk away? Do we call Purplebricks on Monday and ask them for feedback?

Any advice appreciated!
    Originally posted by Soph1988

Why do people insist on playing games with buying a house, makes life more difficult for those involved, Offer what you think its worth and are willing and able to pay, don't play games trying to get it cheaper
    • warehouse
    • By warehouse 4th Dec 17, 12:09 PM
    • 3,031 Posts
    • 5,661 Thanks
    warehouse
    Why do people insist on playing games with buying a house, makes life more difficult for those involved, Offer what you think its worth and are willing and able to pay, don't play games trying to get it cheaper
    Originally posted by glentoran99
    On a money saving site this is not good advice. Start low and save thousands. OP, you say the house just ticks boxes then why offer at all? You need to keep looking and find the one.
    Pants
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 4th Dec 17, 12:30 PM
    • 4,930 Posts
    • 3,937 Thanks
    glentoran99
    On a money saving site this is not good advice. Start low and save thousands. OP, you say the house just ticks boxes then why offer at all? You need to keep looking and find the one.
    Originally posted by warehouse

probably not, but just a general comment, all the playing games, Gazumping, Gazundering, last minute price hikes all effects everyone
    • BJV
    • By BJV 4th Dec 17, 1:02 PM
    • 2,250 Posts
    • 3,371 Thanks
    BJV
    No-one like making offers. Not really. But everyone wants to feel as though they are getting value for money. Don't they ? Ok well I do.

I have been a buyer and a seller and it can be very stressful for everyone. But I got a massive, I mean huge amount off our last house. It was not an easy buy and there where other reasons ( vendor of the house we where buying ) which made it even harder but 18 months on glad I did. Saved a small fortune by sticking with the arrogant so and so.

That said we also buy houses as investment and we have wanted to buy houses in the past and been completely put off by EA. Some are good really good actually call you back. Some are just downright terrible.
    Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!
    • Soph1988
    • By Soph1988 4th Dec 17, 7:44 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Soph1988
    Thank you for all of your responses! We today got a text from PB asking if we would like to increase our offer. We are viewing a couple of others tomorrow outside of PB and I have to say I am more tempted to go through a 'proper' EA for this rather than their online system.

I just wanted to clarify - we are not trying to play games. But we are first time buyers with no experience in this and only have TV programmes with Kirsty and Phil on them to give us an idea of what we should be doing. When no negotiation came after the offer had been declined we were just a bit stumped - we hadn't offered insultingly low and based it on research of the market / purchase price etc. For us, the property just isn't worth another 5k on top of what we have offered, which I have a suspicion is what they're hoping for.

If we had our offer accepted for the amount we offered, we would have gone through with the sale. We are not people who want to mess anyone around - but now they have declined and neither of us were heartbroken it just makes us think we'll find something we love more if we just wait a bit longer.

Once again - thank you all for your advice.
    • kinger101
    • By kinger101 4th Dec 17, 9:09 PM
    • 3,955 Posts
    • 5,415 Thanks
    kinger101
    You're overthinking this. PB are estate agents. Not the most proactive. But no means no whether the vendors' agent has an office on the high-street or not. If you don't want to "play games" as you call it, offer the full asking price. Otherwise, attempt to negotiate a mutually agreeable price.
    • Jimmy_Neutron
    • By Jimmy_Neutron 4th Dec 17, 9:15 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    Jimmy_Neutron
    You could get a couple of mates, or even yourself if you are the one doing the viewings, to make offers via the PB portal. Everyone who has viewed the property gets notified to pull their finger out if they are interested enough to do so.

I get emails from houses I have put in my saved properties list on PB and you can see how vendors get desperate and start offering extras to get a sale like paying for your removals etc.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

420Posts Today

2,017Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nice debating with (all but the rude ones) of you. Bedtime for me now. Goodnight #bbcqt

• RT @kevmthomas: @MartinSLewis It was a comment you made about the referendum being a binary choice on a non binary issue that helped me rea?

• To clarify this. Cameron's gamble that having a stark vote'd mean his team won. He gambled wrong (that's not a stat? https://t.co/NSCT3aKvGS

• Follow Martin