Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Soph1988
    • By Soph1988 3rd Dec 17, 7:29 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Soph1988
    Purplebricks offer system and negotiation?
    • 3rd Dec 17, 7:29 PM
    Purplebricks offer system and negotiation? 3rd Dec 17 at 7:29 PM
    Hi all,

I'm a long term lurker and have avoided signing up until now - me and my partner are in the process of looking for our first house to buy. We have viewed a great property valued at £162500 and made an offer of £154,000 online via the PurpleBricks website.

Our offer was declined, which we assumed would happen and then the negotiation should start, right?

Instead our offer was declined and the seller left no comment or feedback as to why. I assume it was lower than they were hoping, but is it odd that the seller didn't come back with a request for a higher figure or suggest an amount they would be happy with? Isn't that the way these negotiations work?

I'm unclear on if this is just an odd way of offering (via online messaging really!) or whether this is just how it is done now - do we just go back with a higher offer, do we throw our final offer price at it or do we walk away? Do we call Purplebricks on Monday and ask them for feedback?

Any advice appreciated!
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 3rd Dec 17, 7:31 PM
    • 42,261 Posts
    • 49,075 Thanks
    G_M
    • 3rd Dec 17, 7:31 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 7:31 PM
    I think PP support is pretty basic.

You want to raise your offer? put in another offer!

You don't think it's worth more? Walk away!
    • Soph1988
    • By Soph1988 3rd Dec 17, 7:38 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Soph1988
    • 3rd Dec 17, 7:38 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 7:38 PM
    Sorry G_M, what is PP support?

Is it not normal for the other party to come back with what they would accept? Would we just keep going up until we got an accept? (if we wanted to do that)
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 3rd Dec 17, 7:42 PM
    • 18,686 Posts
    • 14,407 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 3rd Dec 17, 7:42 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 7:42 PM
    I think it was a typo for PB (PurpleBricks). You certainly can't rely on getting a counter from the vendor, you're the one who knows what your financial status is so the ball is in your court to make another offer or not.
    • Soph1988
    • By Soph1988 3rd Dec 17, 7:47 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Soph1988
    • 3rd Dec 17, 7:47 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 7:47 PM
    Thank you for clarifying and for your advice!
    • messes
    • By messes 3rd Dec 17, 8:19 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    messes
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:19 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:19 PM
    It may depend. I made offers on a property via Purplebricks who they had chosen the EA does viewings option, so while I made my offer via the website I was speaking with the EA following the offer. This did eventually lead to the EA telling me the amount they would accept.

But I found the vendor equally uncommunicative via the site, in that they just declined offers with no comments. Didn't really seem much of a negotiation.
    Last edited by messes; 03-12-2017 at 8:21 PM. Reason: readability
    • Soph1988
    • By Soph1988 3rd Dec 17, 9:21 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Soph1988
    • 3rd Dec 17, 9:21 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 9:21 PM
    Ah - see this was the home owner showing us around. We have been really put off by this offering system - it just doesn’t feel right. Surely it should be just a tad bit more personal? For us, we’re parting with a lot of money. I just have real doubts if a seller isn’t willing to discuss the negotiations or reply to our comments? I have reason as to why our offer was the way it and was and even suggested ‘it would be lovely to discuss this further with you’, thinking that would invite discussion.

So far our experience with PB as buyers hasn’t been great. A couple of very mis-presented viewings (I’m pretty sure one had something photoshopped into a photo...!) and one viewing where the woman was absolutely mental. I mean - nuts. She kept going on about how much she loved her house and that we were in her home and we should be careful where we stand and not to make a mess.... it was very very strange. She also had crosses and bible verses written everywhere in those vinyl stickers...
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 3rd Dec 17, 9:25 PM
    • 56,182 Posts
    • 49,567 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 3rd Dec 17, 9:25 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 9:25 PM

Our offer was declined, which we assumed would happen and then the negotiation should start, right?
    Originally posted by Soph1988
    Not if the seller doesn't wish to, at this point in time. Up your offer if you are still interested in the property.
    “Opportunities come infrequently. When it rains gold, put out the bucket, not the thimble”
    ― Warren Buffett
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 3rd Dec 17, 9:27 PM
    • 1,948 Posts
    • 1,823 Thanks
    steampowered
    • 3rd Dec 17, 9:27 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 9:27 PM
    It is a very common strategy for people to reject the first offer outright, and start negotiating on the second offer.

People know that a first offer is often just testing the waters.
    • Soph1988
    • By Soph1988 3rd Dec 17, 9:33 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Soph1988
    But isn’t negotiation part of selling a house. If the shoe was on the other foot I’d offer an amount I’d be happy to accept and 2k on top for another small negotiation...

It just seems very odd - if you want to sell the house you make the effort do you not?

I think we will probably just leave this house and move on now. It wasn’t anything particularly earth shatteringly special - just a house that ticked boxes.
    • JoJo1978
    • By JoJo1978 3rd Dec 17, 10:17 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    JoJo1978
    OP, also don't forget that some people may not want to leave the house they are selling at all, people have all sorts of reasons for moving.

And even if they are keen to move the selling process can take months and be very stressful. Life has to go on while strangers traipse through your home and critically evaluate every detail. So maybe you need to make allowances for what you perceive as crazy behaviour?!

For others it is a business transaction plain and simple, so they aren't interested in contact with you. As others have said, that contact and willingness to negotiate may be more forthcoming when they receive an acceptable offer.
    Hamster in the wheel (London) 1999-2017
    Mortgage free since 2015; Pension pot sorted 2017
    Second career (what TBD!) 2018
    • googler
    • By googler 3rd Dec 17, 11:25 PM
    • 14,471 Posts
    • 9,346 Thanks
    googler
    We have been really put off by this offering system - it just doesn’t feel right. Surely it should be just a tad bit more personal?
    Not at the prices PB are charging their sellers.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 4th Dec 17, 4:39 AM
    • 4,907 Posts
    • 6,872 Thanks
    deannatrois
    Remember that you don't really know the other person.., they may be into negotiation, they may just be a bit nervous of the process, their understanding and expectations of the process probably won't be the same as yours. If there was an estate agent, there would definitely be a bit more hand holding, with Purplebricks it seems some areas are more pro-active than others.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 4th Dec 17, 7:34 AM
    • 4,012 Posts
    • 2,497 Thanks
    csgohan4
    I wanted to look at a few purple bricks properties, agent never got back to me. If they don't bother why should you
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • fozziebeartoo
    • By fozziebeartoo 4th Dec 17, 7:58 AM
    • 1,501 Posts
    • 12,480 Thanks
    fozziebeartoo
    Sorry G_M, what is PP support?

Is it not normal for the other party to come back with what they would accept? Would we just keep going up until we got an accept? (if we wanted to do that)
    No, I don't think so.

You might be willing to offer MORE than the minimum they will accept!!
    • messes
    • By messes 4th Dec 17, 8:35 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    messes
    Based on my own experience with PB which was 2 viewings with owners and another with the EA, the two viewings were pretty equal. The vendor could provide more information but our area's EA's were pretty well informed for EA's.

I also saw another property with an "real" EA where the vendor insisted on showing us around and saying how much they loved the place, so the poor EA could only follow silently. So it's not just PB who get the off putting vendors I guess it just ups the chance.

What I didn't like but respect as clever, is the offer system as everyone else who's ever viewed will get notified of an offer going in. (Trying to start a bidding war).

You can also message the vendor directly via the PB system so you could perhaps request a negotiation this way to avoid having to keep putting offers in until you reach an agreeable price.
    • david1951
    • By david1951 4th Dec 17, 8:53 AM
    • 371 Posts
    • 426 Thanks
    david1951
    OP - what do you want the vendor to say?

"Too low, please raise your offer"

This would be pointless. They aren't going to tell you what they would accept because (a) they have given you an asking price, and (b) it would lay their cards on the table. Perfectly normal I'm afraid.
    • ceh209
    • By ceh209 4th Dec 17, 8:59 AM
    • 705 Posts
    • 472 Thanks
    ceh209
    As a PB seller here, I can tell you you have 4 options when you receive an offer:
    - Accept
    - Decline and negotiate (where you send a message back to the buyer)
    - Decline
    - Pass to Agent (i.e. pass to the PB agent who will negotiate on your behalf)

My PB agent was very good and knew exactly what I wanted, so told me to pass all offers to him straight away to negotiate/get proof of AIP etc. Only when I got an offer I was completely happy with did I press Accept.
    Excuse any mis-spelt replies, there's probably a cat sat on the keyboard
    • westernpromise
    • By westernpromise 4th Dec 17, 11:24 AM
    • 3,272 Posts
    • 4,055 Thanks
    westernpromise
    one viewing where the woman was absolutely mental. I mean - nuts. She kept going on about how much she loved her house and that we were in her home and we should be careful where we stand and not to make a mess.... it was very very strange. She also had crosses and bible verses written everywhere in those vinyl stickers...
    Were you able to check the basement? Was there a strange smell coming from it?
    The Lottery, with its weekly pay-out of enormous prizes, was the one public event to which the proles paid serious attention. It was probable that there were some millions of proles for whom the Lottery was the principal if not the only reason for remaining alive. -
    George Orwell, Nineteen-Eighty-Four
    • googler
    • By googler 4th Dec 17, 11:58 AM
    • 14,471 Posts
    • 9,346 Thanks
    googler
    What I didn't like but respect as clever, is the offer system as everyone else who's ever viewed will get notified of an offer going in. (Trying to start a bidding war).
    Originally posted by messes
    For a very brief moment, I thought "How does that differ from a regular agent telling those interested that offers are coming in?", and then it hit me, with memories of all the threads here where buyers have accused EAs of "playing games", "inventing offers" and "making up offers" .....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,835Posts Today

7,179Users online

Martin's Twitter