Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • avogadro
    • By avogadro 3rd Dec 17, 6:28 PM
    • 3,687Posts
    • 6,424Thanks
    avogadro
    publishing an ebook
    • 3rd Dec 17, 6:28 PM
    publishing an ebook 3rd Dec 17 at 6:28 PM
    Not quite sure where to post this, but I'll try the pub There may be some budding writers in here?

I am looking to self-publish an ebook, but have no experience in doing this. We're not looking to make a profit from it, it's more as a family keepsake. I have been recommended kobo books, as they have their own template and it's fairly straightforward (I've been told!). Kindle would be the more obvious option, providing everybody who wants to read the book has a Kindle device or app!

Has anybody here self-published an ebook before, and do you have any tips or advice?
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 3rd Dec 17, 6:29 PM
    • 31,943 Posts
    • 37,677 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 3rd Dec 17, 6:29 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 6:29 PM
    An e-book can be a pdf if need be
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 3rd Dec 17, 6:33 PM
    • 31,943 Posts
    • 37,677 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 3rd Dec 17, 6:33 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 6:33 PM
    https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/writer2epub

Use it with free open office software
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • avogadro
    • By avogadro 3rd Dec 17, 6:44 PM
    • 3,687 Posts
    • 6,424 Thanks
    avogadro
    • 3rd Dec 17, 6:44 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 6:44 PM
    The book will include text and pictures/photographs and documents, if that makes a difference?
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 4th Dec 17, 7:44 AM
    • 3,625 Posts
    • 7,980 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:44 AM
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:44 AM
    As I recall when I helped a friend self-publish, we either uploaded a Microsoft Word document or printed it to pdf and uploaded that. Either way it wasn't difficult and her book included images.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • avogadro
    • By avogadro 5th Dec 17, 4:06 PM
    • 3,687 Posts
    • 6,424 Thanks
    avogadro
    • 5th Dec 17, 4:06 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 4:06 PM
    Ok, thanks for the info I had a go at downloading the software in the link but it didn't work. That might just be my old computer, though!

So, AIUI I can convert a Word document into a PDF and if I then email it to them, people will then be able to read it on their Kindle App, is that right?

I'm not sure about how to put cover artwork into a Word document, either, but I'd think there must be a fairly easy way.

I haven't yet checked out the Kobo or Kindle sites. I think the problem there might be that (obviously) the books on those sites are intended for sale, and I don't want to be charging family members to buy or look at the eBook.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 5th Dec 17, 8:35 PM
    • 3,625 Posts
    • 7,980 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:35 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:35 PM
    You can insert images into Word documents. It's pretty easy - I've managed it!
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 5th Dec 17, 8:44 PM
    • 1,685 Posts
    • 2,970 Thanks
    SamsReturn
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:44 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:44 PM
    Not for the type of ebook you're considering, a family keepsake. But when i considered writing one that may have earned me a few bob. I read-up on the Internet looking for advice. Many people who were already writers said, the best way to start is, write a blog, or numerous blogs. Once you get a feel for what may be successful, start to expand your best blogs.
    • Art Vandelay
    • By Art Vandelay 5th Dec 17, 8:50 PM
    • 471 Posts
    • 845 Thanks
    Art Vandelay
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:50 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:50 PM
    Ok, thanks for the info I had a go at downloading the software in the link but it didn't work. That might just be my old computer, though!

So, AIUI I can convert a Word document into a PDF and if I then email it to them, people will then be able to read it on their Kindle App, is that right?

I'm not sure about how to put cover artwork into a Word document, either, but I'd think there must be a fairly easy way.

I haven't yet checked out the Kobo or Kindle sites. I think the problem there might be that (obviously) the books on those sites are intended for sale, and I don't want to be charging family members to buy or look at the eBook.
    Originally posted by avogadro
    If you want to include pictures, Word (or something similar) is your best bet. Kindle is improving but is problematic with images and is generally suited for pure text - novels, and the like.

If you write the book in Word you can convert to PDF. People can then read this on their computer; Adobe reader is free and generally industry standard nowadays across most machines. The other benefit is that it can be read on both PC's and Mac's.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,147Posts Today

6,015Users online

Martin's Twitter