Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • FirstTimer4Me
    • By FirstTimer4Me 3rd Dec 17, 6:20 PM
    • 1,022Posts
    • 123Thanks
    FirstTimer4Me
    MS Office
    • 3rd Dec 17, 6:20 PM
    MS Office 3rd Dec 17 at 6:20 PM
    I have Windows 7 IE 11, anyone know if MS office can be downloaded for free, or do I have to purchase a product key?

Currently have OO 4 Apache, but prefer MS office.
Page 1
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 3rd Dec 17, 7:17 PM
    • 1,972 Posts
    • 2,483 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 3rd Dec 17, 7:17 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 7:17 PM
    Worried not free. You need to buy a key
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 3rd Dec 17, 7:23 PM
    • 8,296 Posts
    • 6,255 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    • 3rd Dec 17, 7:23 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 7:23 PM
    Wait a while someone on here may have some spare legal copies, they should pick up soon.
    • Ainsley1
    • By Ainsley1 3rd Dec 17, 8:31 PM
    • 390 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    Ainsley1
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:31 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:31 PM
    Ha! You're an optimist Debit.

Somebody give Mr. Pix a poke and wake him up...

He'll be along soon......
    • FirstTimer4Me
    • By FirstTimer4Me 3rd Dec 17, 9:22 PM
    • 1,022 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    FirstTimer4Me
    • 3rd Dec 17, 9:22 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 9:22 PM
    Ha! You're an optimist Debit.

Somebody give Mr. Pix a poke and wake him up...

He'll be along soon......
    Originally posted by Ainsley1
    This site is about saving money, it's a pity you belittle those who offer genuine advice.
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 3rd Dec 17, 9:44 PM
    • 8,296 Posts
    • 6,255 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    • 3rd Dec 17, 9:44 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 9:44 PM
    This site is about saving money, it's a pity you belittle those who offer genuine advice.
    Originally posted by FirstTimer4Me
    He wasn't he was being obtuse, keep waiting ... He knows that I know what he thinks I know We may get lucky someone may come along ....
    • molerat
    • By molerat 4th Dec 17, 3:45 PM
    • 17,469 Posts
    • 11,694 Thanks
    molerat
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:45 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:45 PM
    Genuine, legit and free to use MS Office 2010 Starter Edition that came pre loaded with W7 computers. Also works with Vista. Windows update will pick it up and bring it up to date. MS obviously decided that it was too good to give away so won't work with W8 or W10.
    https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6255-microsoft-office-starter-2010.html if you want a basic word / excel. And to remove the ads http://www.kluug.net/office-starter-ad-remover.php
    Last edited by molerat; 04-12-2017 at 4:27 PM.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • alanq
    • By alanq 4th Dec 17, 4:47 PM
    • 3,882 Posts
    • 2,496 Thanks
    alanq
    • 4th Dec 17, 4:47 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 4:47 PM
    There is a free limited feature version of MS Office which is accessed with a browser so you have to be online to use it and, depending on how good your broadband connection is, could be slow.

https://products.office.com/en-gb/office-online/documents-spreadsheets-presentations-office-online
    I'm a Board Guide on the Budgeting and Bank Accounts, Savings & Investments, Food Shopping and Over 50s MoneySaving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert .com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • FirstTimer4Me
    • By FirstTimer4Me 5th Dec 17, 4:43 AM
    • 1,022 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    FirstTimer4Me
    • 5th Dec 17, 4:43 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 4:43 AM
    Genuine, legit and free to use MS Office 2010 Starter Edition that came pre loaded with W7 computers. Also works with Vista. Windows update will pick it up and bring it up to date. MS obviously decided that it was too good to give away so won't work with W8 or W10.
    https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6255-microsoft-office-starter-2010.html if you want a basic word / excel. And to remove the ads http://www.kluug.net/office-starter-ad-remover.php
    Originally posted by molerat
    I've opened the link, says only works with 32bit I have x64, is this not suitable?
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 5th Dec 17, 9:31 AM
    • 3,010 Posts
    • 2,081 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Hello, you're in luck - I have some spare keys left still ..

Hit me up on PM
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • FirstTimer4Me
    • By FirstTimer4Me 5th Dec 17, 12:51 PM
    • 1,022 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    FirstTimer4Me
    PM sent
    • FirstTimer4Me
    • By FirstTimer4Me 5th Dec 17, 3:19 PM
    • 1,022 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    FirstTimer4Me
    Downloaded, installed correctly and now up and running

Thanks to all those who offered help, especially, Andy P
    • molerat
    • By molerat 5th Dec 17, 6:59 PM
    • 17,469 Posts
    • 11,694 Thanks
    molerat
    I've opened the link, says only works with 32bit I have x64, is this not suitable?
    Originally posted by FirstTimer4Me
    Working fine on my 64 bit
    • molerat
    • By molerat 6th Dec 17, 3:40 PM
    • 17,469 Posts
    • 11,694 Thanks
    molerat
    I have been playing with Libre Office, seems to be the most compatible with MS Office. Have a few Office 2007s to use up on the various family computers but will use Libre on anything else.
    • williacg
    • By williacg 8th Dec 17, 7:47 AM
    • 652 Posts
    • 717 Thanks
    williacg
    Hi Molerat,

Thanks for this tip which was great, which I took advantage of while waiting for my full version to arrive. After uninstalling the starter edition and setting up the replacement, there is still the following message on my desktop:-

"Windows 7 - Build 7601 - This copy of Windows is not genuine"

And I keep receiving notifications to authenticate it. Do you have any advice as to how I can sort these issues?

Many thanks
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 8th Dec 17, 8:23 AM
    • 1,138 Posts
    • 622 Thanks
    wongataa
    Hi Molerat,

Thanks for this tip which was great, which I took advantage of while waiting for my full version to arrive. After uninstalling the starter edition and setting up the replacement, there is still the following message on my desktop:-

"Windows 7 - Build 7601 - This copy of Windows is not genuine"

And I keep receiving notifications to authenticate it. Do you have any advice as to how I can sort these issues?

Many thanks
    Originally posted by williacg
    Have you tried clicking on the notification and then following the instructions on how to activate?
    • molerat
    • By molerat 8th Dec 17, 8:30 AM
    • 17,469 Posts
    • 11,694 Thanks
    molerat
    Agreed, keep on doing what it says and it will eventually go away (providing you are running a genuine copy). I had this a couple of years back, it was a known glitch. I wonder if it has something to do with op's other problem. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5757007
    • williacg
    • By williacg 8th Dec 17, 8:56 AM
    • 652 Posts
    • 717 Thanks
    williacg
    Have you tried clicking on the notification and then following the instructions on how to activate?
    Originally posted by wongataa
    Hi there,

Yes I have, but no success as yet, however, will keep trying when I return from work.
    • williacg
    • By williacg 8th Dec 17, 9:00 AM
    • 652 Posts
    • 717 Thanks
    williacg
    Agreed, keep on doing what it says and it will eventually go away (providing you are running a genuine copy). I had this a couple of years back, it was a known glitch. I wonder if it has something to do with op's other problem. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5757007
    Yes, it's a genuine copy, the message relates to the starter copy that I uninstalled as it began to appear as soon as I installed it, and I automatically assumed that when I uninstalled it after receiving the full version, that it would automatically go away when installing the new package. However, I will keep trying on my return from work.

Thanks for the tips
    • AlwaysHere
    • By AlwaysHere 8th Dec 17, 1:37 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    AlwaysHere
    Yes, it's a genuine copy, the message relates to the starter copy that I uninstalled as it began to appear as soon as I installed it, and I automatically assumed that when I uninstalled it after receiving the full version, that it would automatically go away when installing the new package. However, I will keep trying on my return from work.

Thanks for the tips
    Originally posted by williacg
    How do you know it is 'genuine'?

Download, save this application

Once saved, right click on the application and choose Run As Administrator'.

You'll see a screen like this;

Click on the Advanced tab to see the screen above.

Which Version is shown, 2.1 or 2.0 or nothing?

Better still, post a screenshot to my PM Inbox.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

330Posts Today

2,243Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin